| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons D 10 9 pedals and 4 knees
Wallace Smith

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2011 8:27 am    

Hi folks:
I decided to tackle the set up myself after much reading abut the push pull. Most of what I have learned came from this forum. Now I have a couple of questions.

1. I want to use the Emmons set up primarily because it is what most of the people I know use. But I don't have the LKV. Would it be a good idea to put the B to Bb lowers on the extra pedal by shifting pedals 4-8 to 5-9 and using pedal 4 for this change? Would it even be of any use Chord wise in this position? I need your expert opinions on this. If that won't work well, what would be a better option?

2. I need a source for the collars and set screws that fit the rods, and also the cushioning springs. I think I have every thing else. What would ya'll suggest?

I am not a player myself. But I do want to try and learn.
1970 Emmons PP, Evans 500 LV, Roland Ready Strate, Roland GR 50,Ovation Acoustic Electric, Gibson J200, Peavey reno 400, Digital Performer based home recording studio. Mac Pro 8 core computer.Allen Heath Mixers. Many more gadgets with lot's of knobs to twiddle.
John McGuire

Swansea,Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2011 8:39 am    

I have bought the collars and set screws at the hardare store.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2011 9:30 am    

Wallace
Get the parts from the Emmons Co. They are available, and one thing that detracts from the value of a steel guitar is non-factory/substitute parts found in the undercarriage.

If you're gonna do it, do it correctly.

Of the 5 most common knee levers, the B-Bb change is the most expendible, IMHO. If you don't have an LKV, don't worry too much. The basic tuning with 4 lever is enough for a lifetime.

FWIW, I don't use the B-Bb change. I slant the bar.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2011 9:55 am     Vertical lever........

I'll second Herb's opinion.On my push-pull I have a vertical lever that lowers the 5th string a half tone and raises the 7th string a half tone.....it does nothing to the 10th string.Very rarely do I lower the 5th string but when I use it together with the first 2 pedals and pick strings 5,6,and 7 I get a 7th chord......it's so cool.

Also as Herb said 8 pedals and 4 levers is plenty to work with....just check out all the cool stuff Buddy Charlton played with Ernest Tubb using 8 pedals and probably no more than 2 levers!!

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2011 10:44 am    

I didn't address all of your questions, Wallace, so here's some additional thoughts.

Since you have 9 pedals, you have lots of options. You can even have pedal 4 operate on both necks, if your changes aren't so severe as to make the pedal action terribly stiff to push.

Since you have a PP, the B-Bb change would only be used by itself, not in combination with pedal A or C, so there's no real placement advantage if on a pedal.

Some options for P.4 operating on E9 only, you could
a) have it raise s.1 F#-G# and s.2 D#-E;
b) have it perform the "Franklin Pedal";
c) have it perform the B-Bb change.

If you wanted the pedal to be used on C6, that opens up a whole can of options that is a separate topic in and of itself.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2011 12:05 pm    

Since the B-Bb would not be used for the "split" with the A pedal (because the guitar is a push-pull), you could put it on a pedal. I'd think instead of putting it on P4 it would be better placed to the left of the ABC pedals, in the first pedal position. That way you wouldn't have to jump over the C pedal to hit it by itself, and you could roll between the Bb lower and the A pedal raise by placing the foot over both.

That means moving the ABC pedals over one position to the right, of course. Depending on what P4 is doing now, it could possibly do double duty as C pedal and whatever you want it to do on the C6th neck, as Herb suggests, and then you wouldn't have to move the rest of the C6th changes over, and P9 could still be your "wild card" pedal.

Just my $.02.