| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Williams Keyless Owners
Mark S. Miller

Depew, NY, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2011 8:46 pm    

Williams keyless Steel Owners.. A few years ago I took some Red fingernail polish and coated the 3—6---and 10 or the G#’s tuning nuts very lightly. If you put it on to heavy the wrench will not fit. I thought that it might wear off in time but it never did.. It really has become a life saver for me. When your on stage and the lighting is not that good and they all seem to run together if you know what I me. Hope it might be of interests to you keyless owners. Mark

Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2011 3:57 am    

Hi Mark, That's not a bad idea. I've never had any trouble with breaking stings on my Williams, but just knowing which string I'm tuning might be helpful. Larry
Olie Eshleman

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2011 10:45 am    

Excellent idea! I often get lost and find my self tuning the wrong nut and having to retune. Think I might just use a little sharpie instead on mine. I have a U12 as well, which adds to the problem. I have already broken the 1st and 2nd strings a coupla times at the changer which seems weird with the reduced slope of the williams 700 series changer.
Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2011 12:19 pm    

I also had the problem of grabbing the wrong hex screw so I put a quarter inch of white-out on the ends of 4 and 8 (my E strings positions). This corrected any confusion and made tuning and changing strings a breeze. The guitars with tuning pegs don't have this problem but the keyless guitars seem to have small areas to work with. That is combined with the problem of looking back and forth from where you are tuning to the string alignment over the bridge and nut makes it a chore unless you have reference points to help out.
In short, this saves time from counting pegs from the top or bottom each time you need to tune or change strings and losing your reference point everytime you look away from the tuning screws. I used to hate it when I grabbed the wrong screw to tune and then having to retune that one as well.