| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Add lapsteel to your pedal rig? Ever try this?
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2011 5:34 pm    

I had my lapsteel set up next to my S-12 and all of a sudden I had an idea of how to use them together. Has anyone out there ever tried this. I've worked a little with it at home but not on the gig yet. All it requires is a lapsteel with legs and an A/B swith of some sort and you can have both instruments "together" or you can just plug another cord into the lap steel and send it to another amp without the volume pedal if you prefer it that way!.....You might call this kind of a "double neck" of sorts. Here's some shots I took this afternoon..........JH in Va.

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2011 5:51 pm    

I've seen steelers do similar things with keyboards onstage. Years back I used a Marrs Cat Can reso simulator that had little rack legs to mount it exactly where yours is. Convenient and slick, but, even though I'm not a steel fashionista, it looks cluttered and frankensteinish onstage to me.
There's something inherently attractive about the sleek lines of a steel guitar.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2011 6:00 pm    

You're probably right Mark, years ago I remember Blackie Taylor in California had a rack of stompboxes that he mounted on the front of his steel. I remember thinking how bad I thought they looked but this rig looks better in real life than the photos show.........JH in Va.

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2011 8:24 pm    

Jerry, Kenny Kitching, a legend here in Aus, plays a Perina D10 ( Towoomba steel maker) and as a Hawiian steel master, he had a 8 string lap steel made which clips to the back of his steel. Its just a straight timber piece with a seperate output and it works a treat and takes seconds to set up if it's wanted. Its not visible to the audience.
Jeff
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2011 9:11 pm    

I've done that off and on for years.This is the rig I played in the Riders of the Purple Sage about 6 or 7 years ago.
Excel E9/B6 12 string and 65 Stringmaster D-8 with B6/Ab9 on front neck and G11 on back neck. I used an A/B footswitch and operated it with my right heel.
I played the Fender about half the time. Any less and I wouldn't have bothered. It had just the right tone for all that 40s cowboy stuff though.
Tor Arve Baroy

Norway
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 3:06 am    

I made this combo a while ago:

A GFI Expo with a added custom 6 string nonpedal backneck.
I use both necks all the time, sometimes I switch in the middle of a song Smile

I have a shobud set up the same way too, but I am going to rebuild that one of these days.
I built it with a 8 string backneck, I`d rather have a 6-string.
Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 5:55 am    

I only play 8 string lap steel for one or two songs in my band. It's a Framus guitar covered in flock (Hawaii 800) kind of like a felt or velour backing, so I feel quite happy laying it directly on top of my pedal steel strings. I just swap over the jack plug and use a different effects patch. No good for alternating during a song obviously. I played it on my knees (behind the pedal steel) until someone pointed out how curious it looked, hidden from the audience point of view - especially with a lot of heavy vibrato around the 12th fret Embarassed
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 10:50 am    

Michael, that's a great shot and that's exactly what I'm talking about....

Tor.. Did you add the six string neck yourself or did GFI put it on?......JH in Va.

Norway
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 1:00 pm    

Hi Jerry!
I added it myself, but ordered the GFI with a piece of mica instead of the pad.
Val Drummond

Maryland
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 3:27 pm    

I like Tor's set up, a lot. That would work well for me.
Nice light weight double neck, pedal E9 on one, open G on the second.
Anyone have a recommendation for the placement of the non-pedal neck? Front or back?
Mark Butcher

Scotland
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2011 2:44 am    

My copedent loses the D string and adds a G# on 10 so I just hook the bungee cord from the leg to the Eb lever and play non pedal C6.