| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Emmons Biography Announcement
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2010 7:31 am    

Edited, because I wanted to! Wink

Relax and enjoy your retirement, hoss. You've more than earned it. And thanks for everything! Smile

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Last edited by Herb Steiner on 31 Dec 2010 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2010 8:02 am    

I'd like to echo what has already been said- enjoy life as it is too fleeting to do otherwise. That being said- quite obviously a lot of work has already been done (to 1987) and it would be a shame to have that orphaned and wasted as the information there I'm sure is enough for most of our lifetimes. Would if be possible to consider publishing what has been done leaving the balance to the future? Also~it's understandable- considering the amount of labor and emotions required to complete the task- to not want to go into it as it's probably a lot like doing taxes- or performing at one of these steel shows (yea sure -like I'd know)- dragging the ball and chain around of just the anticipation of having to do it is WORK and a drag. James Herriot (All Creatures Great and Small, etc.) told me once that he hated to write but loved to have written. Maybe the burden of writing could be lessened if it simply came from recorded conversations/vignettes, etc with pals- letting Fish or any of a number of folks who would eagerly volunteer to go out for whatever floats your boat and transcribe the gist of the conversations over time and submit them for editing, etc. so that writer's block/anticipatory ball and chain effects were minimized? I am among literally thousands of steel players that have been greatly influenced by this marvelous innovator that are on their knees begging for this history to be published.
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2010 8:26 am    

Buddy,
I respect and sadly understand your position on your bio. After all, you have the last word on doing it or not. I just have to say, that, I thank you for all you've done for the steel guitar world. You are the benchmark for all of us to strive for. Your skill and innovation have brought enlightenment to us all. Just the mention of you playing at a concert, brings the masses out. God bless you and all you have done for us. I wish you a happy and healthy retirement and remember, whatever you do is right with me.
Sincerely,
John De Maille VP-PSGA

BTW- Folks, this is not leg humping. Just respect
for this wonderful man.
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2010 10:15 am    

yep, all that and I'm still bummed out..

Happy New Year Boss!
Kirk Eipper

Arroyo Grande, Ca.
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2010 10:19 am    

Dear Mr. Emmons,

I want to thank you for being the inspiration for me taking up the instrument nearly 35 years ago. I know I'm not alone.

Happy New Year to you sir!
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2010 11:16 am    

Buddy, I can empathise.. Crying or Very sad

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>
Don Ricketson

Llano, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2010 11:48 am    

Many thanks for all you've done Buddy. I still cherish the time back in 1960 at the Dixie Club in San Angelo Tx. I looked up from my steel and there stood Buddy Emmons and Jimmy Day. I think I dropped my bar. I know I peed Oh Well Thanks again pal. Thanks also for the avatar pic with you and Darrell McCall.
2-Nashville 112

"Making The Stars Shine"
Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2010 8:59 pm    

Thank you for 60 years of innovation and inspiration!
Ronald Cid

Contrecoeur, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2011 4:20 pm     Buddy Emmons

I've been a very lucky person in my music life. I got to see and even meet some of my musical heros, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Ted Greene, B.B King, Brownie McGee and Sonny Terry, alas I never had the chance to meet Lenny Breau, but happily I did once get to meet Buddy Emmons. I place Mr Emmons on the same pedestal as the aforementioned pioneers of their particular instruments, in that he forged the way for all of us to follow and pursue as the de facto excellence on the instrument. Enjoy your retirement, and take care of your self.

P.S. I created a Facebook site for Buddy and we have almost 1,000 members, and it is a storage place for almost every video I could on the web of Buddy. Come and visit and enjoy hours of videos of Buddy (Click on the video tab on the top of the page)

Here's the link

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=169475748633

P.S.S. you do not have to join the site to access the page
Steve Raulston

U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2011 3:45 pm    

Big E, you are always the epitome of style and class and your are truly in a league all your own! These posts attest to the kindred sentiments we all have for you; both young and old. Thank you for all you have given us.
Bill Bailey

Kingman, AZ
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2011 11:27 pm     Buddy

Smile Buddy,
So glad to see aposting here by you. Sorry the bio is too much stress, I understand and respect your decision. Foe me I know all I need to about you through your music, God bless you Big "E"
92 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10
Two Nashville 400 Amps and Nashvill 112.
bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2011 2:27 pm    

all the best to you hoss, whatever you do!

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2011 1:02 pm    

God will look over you for the great man you are. take care Big E....
Peter Siegel

Belmont, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2011 3:04 pm    

Buddy,

Even if you never write this book, rest assured, you wrote THE book on Pedal Steel.
You are in good hands with my old compadre Fishell. Hearing your work never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Enjoy,

Peter Siegel
rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2011 5:29 pm    

Buddy - I, like many who have responded to this post can never say enough on how you inspired so many to take up Steel Guitar - (Which I don't think I would have without hearing your playing) - But with that said. I think it will be a shame when all the life stories are read about the greats, there will be one missing! - Buddy - I hope you reconsider, but if you don't, I understand.
Thanx for the memories.......Ron

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2011 5:14 am    

I have to state that I would also be interested in purchasing the bio with the information gathered thus far. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Adair Torres

Sao Paulo, Brazil
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2011 5:51 pm    

Mr. Buddy Emmons:
I believe your Bio is in the mind of all who love the Pedal Steel Guitar.
Every day when we sit behind our Pedal Steel, we remember the Great Big E.

Zum D10 8X7 Wineberry 2010.
Emmons SD10 3X8 Black 1994.
Derby D10 8X8 Rosewood 2008.
TowerS SD10 3X5 Imbuia Mica Finish 2018
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 10:13 am    

Buddy, maybe after you've rested for a while you might think of getting back into it, but without pressure for a completion date. There's no great hurry, you're going to be around for a while.

Sometimes I get mental block, but one of the ways out is to stop thinking of the final product, but just put together anecdotes as they come to you, and then put them into some sort of order when you feel like you've got enough, or pass the job over to someone else at that stage.

Just a suggestion. Smile
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 10:36 am    

You need to leave Buddy alone and not give him suggestions. Allow him his privacy.
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 12:08 pm    

It's Buddy's call, and it looks like he already made it.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 1:24 pm    

I agree with Kevin. Leave the man alone. This thread should have died a peaceful death and stayed buried.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 1:34 pm    

Thanks Buddy for EVERYTHING you have done for music and steel guitar, happy retirement and i hope we still hear from ya in some form or fashion
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 1:45 pm    

I understand that. When Joaquin died and and left me with his last record to mix I just couldn't face the process. Depressed,I let that thing sit in the can for two years. You have to be on fire to do your best at anything and I was not on fire. I finally soldiered thru that task,I'm glad I did,it turned out to be a healing catharisis,made a lot of people happy and I couldn't have lived with myself if I'd left that undone. But I totally understand being faced with something you just don't want to do.So if that book never happens Buddy - your records,the times I saw you play live and the few chats we had & emails we exchanged are plenty enough for me. So relax!
Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 29 Dec 2011 6:02 pm    

Mr. Emmons, best wishes for a Safe, Happy, and Prosperous New Year. Or maybe as Mr. Spock might say, "Live long and Prosper". Thank you for all the music and the memories.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2012 12:05 pm    

Echoing other comments, Buddy, you're the reason and inspiration behind my taking up steel and keeping at it. Thanks for your talent, music, and unbelievable example for us all to emulate.

Fish, I'd like to chime in with others who'd love to see whatever is roughed out now be polished and released. On-demand publishing via Lulu.com and other outfits makes this very easy and affordable.

Profits could go to Buddy; split between you and Buddy; part profits to the forum; all kinds of business models could work.

If that gets a green light from Big E, Steve, I'm a veteran graphic designer, writer and editor, and would love to volunteer my assistance in any way that would help this important project.