| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Maxon CP9Pro+ Compressor/Limiter
Hiro Keitora

New York, New York
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2010 1:03 pm    

Happy holidays everyone! Well, I'm in the middle of "holiday vacation" till January 2nd, so I'm tinkering with small silly "projects", and one of which was to toy with this maxon CP9Pro+ Compressor.

I just got it on 24th, so I haven't had enough time to completely "master" it, but it seems like a really nice compressor; neck to neck, it kind of "out do" my beloved Tone Press. Shocked

Without getting in to the old argument of wither we should use a compressor or not on pedal steel, I tried it at in-between guitar and Volume pedal, and I found something peculiar;

This Maxon should be "true bypass" and it shouldn't color/rub the signal, but I noticed it rubbed the tone slightly( of course, with the pedal at off). Plugging the George L cable directly to the Vol. pedal noticeably brought back that high-sparkle.

So, instead of this CP9Pro+, I placed other Maxon pedal with same casing just to see what happens; This time I place Maxon Vintage Overdrive Pro.(with switch off) in between guitar and vol.pedal.Same thing! The high sparkle was rubbed. Sad

I guess these Maxon 9 series can rub the tone even if they are "true bypass", anyone out there noticed this? Question

Now, what's interesting here is, I placed Boss pedal there just to see what happens, and even though Boss is NOT "true bypass" but I didn't hear significant tone rub. Confused

So, something about these high priced Maxons are sucking tone slightly....Or am I the only one who noticed this???
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2010 10:57 am    

Hiro, I think the term "true bypass" is used somewhat incorrectly. The kind of bypass you desire would be call "hardwire bypass"...the input signal is passed to the output jack by means of a switch, and is totally unchanged.

The "true bypass" seems to indicate that the manufacturer attempts to send an "unaltered" signal out of the output jack. But, this signal may go through an IC, transistors, or other components, before exiting the pedal. Although there may be reasons and justifications for this, the fact remains that the output signal is not identical to the original.
Hiro Keitora

New York, New York
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2010 11:19 am    

Mike, you're probably right on the money about these new Maxons. Although, these sound quite good as "effects", they are probably not "true hardwire bypass" from input to output jack.

What's odd here, is that Boss is known for "non-bypass", but it doesn't seem to rub highs as much as Maxons.(to my ears)

nonetheless, I'm being over critical about Maxon, it rubs highs so slightly, which means I won't be able to put the high sparkle back even if I use an "enhancer" like BBE.

In my understanding, once it's gone at the first part of the chain, it's gone for good. Sad
Scott Appleton

Ashland, Oregon
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2010 1:02 pm     Maxon

Maxon has never been a trusted name for high quality just low prices for a decent product. You could put a true bypass switch in. Many effex people offer kits and services to that end if you like what that one does. You could also use a true bypass looper so you kick it in when you want.
John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2010 1:15 pm    

Maxon is Ibanez.