| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ever gotten a bad string?
Gary Mortensen

Elgin, TX
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2010 10:41 am    

I bought a very nice D8 console steel from a forum member last week, and installed a set of A6 strings on one of the necks. After tuning it up, it was apparent that the 6th string went way, way flat as I played up the neck, making it essentially unplayable. The other seven strings are fine.

It's a brand new set of strings from a reputable steel guitar string manufacturer, and the offending string is an .034 wound. I'll call the manufacturer next week and see what they have to say - I'm just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else?

In twelve years of dobro playing, I've only once had a similar problem - when I bought individual bulk strings and got some .028 wound strings that went flat up the neck. The supplier replaced them, and the replacements were no better. I don't think they believed me; they told me "no one's ever complained before".

I just don't understand what would make a string play way flat at the twelfth fret.

Gary
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2010 11:29 am     Re: Ever gotten a bad string?

Gary Mortensen wrote:

I just don't understand what would make a string play way flat at the twelfth fret.

More mass per length at that end of the string.
William Lake

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2010 12:38 pm    

I recently put a new set of D'Addario flat wounds on my ES175. The 4th (D) was so out of whack I had to take the tune-o-matic all the way back to the end and the intonation was still off and it buzzed on the frets at the 7th fret. I replaced the string from another set and all is well. I guess it happens.