| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  fire on the mountain
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2010 5:09 pm    

what kind of pedal steel was used on fire on the mountain by the marshall tuucker band.
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2010 5:33 pm    

An out of tune one...just kiddin. I believe Toy Caldwell played a p/p Emmons in the earlier days. That intro just doesn't sound right to my ears when played too perfectly. Smile
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2010 6:16 pm    

Our friend Bari Smith would probably know for sure.
I play it the same way Toy did. But I keep trying to get it right.
Matt Elsen

Deer Harbor, Orcas Island, WA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2010 10:09 pm    

Not sure what steel he played on the recording, but when he passed through the Bay Area in the mid-seventies he told me he had been playing a Marlen for a little while.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2010 7:10 pm    

There was a video on YouTube awhile back of a live performance of "Fire On The Mountain" and Toy was playin' an Emmons D-10.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2010 10:43 am    

Andy Sandoval wrote:
An out of tune one...just kiddin. I believe Toy Caldwell played a p/p Emmons in the earlier days. That intro just doesn't sound right to my ears when played too perfectly. Smile

I agree with Andy there's something about that intro as sour as it is,It's one of those defies the laws and is just cool the way it is,A trademark. Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2010 11:29 am    

sad but true. i had to laugh at andy's answer also.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2010 11:18 pm    

I think of FOTM in the same way as JG's "Teach Your Children"- not perfect in intonation or execution, but original and catchy parts that make the songs immediately recognizable. I think both of them attracted many, many players to the pedal steel.
Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2010 5:07 am    

I had the opportunity to jam with Toy Caldwell when he wandered into a club in NYC we were playing ( maybe 1979, 1980?), and he told me he had the exact same guitar as me, a black D-10 p/p Emmons.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2010 10:23 am    

....so for those of you who have been brainwashed into believing that the black emmons p/p is the 'best' sound you can get...'tone to the bone'...'tone monster'..'that sound'....

maybe not everything you read is true.
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2010 4:47 pm    

Hi, Daniel ... Back in the 1970's (I'm guessing it was 1977 or 1978) I had the privilege to meet and talk a bit with Toy Caldwell after a gig and I asked him about his steels ... he told me that he had two Emmons guitars, a black one that he mostly used as his "road guitar" and a blond lacquer one that he used mainly for recording and practice. While we talked I asked him which steel he used on "Fire On The Mountain" and "Searchin For A Rainbow" and he said "it was probably Old Blondie" that he'd used on those recordings. Smile
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Matt Elsen

Deer Harbor, Orcas Island, WA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2010 4:55 pm    

Sometime in the mid-seventies, on one of their first tours through the Bay Area, the band did a call-in stint on one of the local radio stations.

I called up, and to my amazement actually got through. I asked Toy a couple of questions on the air, among them: what steel guitar was he playing at the time?

Toy's answer: "A Marlen"