| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Antique Amplifier Repair..................
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2010 2:11 pm    

Perhaps many of you are already aware of this but I was plendidly surprised last week by this new experience and wanted to share it with you folks.

I took my Volu-Tone amp in for repair following a sudden failure during a recording session. I had visited several diffent little shops and the young guys in charge had little or no idea about which I was speaking. TUBE amp?????????

I met and spoke with BILL BROOKS who has a shop at the rear of Portland's well known SHOW CASE MUSIC. Bill gets excited about seeing old amps and really enjoys digging into their innards to see what makes them tick. He gave my little amp loving care and had it up and running in just a couple of days and for less than I had anticipated.

In Portland, OR., if you have an old tube amp from the 1930-40's, I'd heartly recommend Bill Brooks.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2010 2:23 pm    

Bill just fixed a Peavy Austin 400 for me.
60 bones. Nice job.
He is the local Authorized Peavey guy.
fwiw, I bring my Tube gear to Jim at "AmpHead", near Se 72nd and Foster.
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2010 2:35 pm    

Put a little cage in the case near the 6L6's to warm yer sandwiches... Very Happy

It's always neat to go exploring the guts of a vintage tube amp, just to see the wax dripping from them old caps. Lots of 1/2 watt resistors, phenolic tube sockets, and pretty colored wires galore.

When I was a kid we couldn't afford to buy them expensive manufactured amps so we built them from purloined Fender (and others) schematics and parts from old tv's. We built one that had a dynamic speaker, where the speaker had a big coil in place of the magnet, and the coil was the filter choke for the B+ supply. 4 wires to the speaker, 2 with voice coil voltage, and two with 350 volts on 'em.

I always got a kick out of Gibson's tremolo circuit. Modulate the bias to the grids of the power output tubes. Neat.

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2010 4:46 pm     Re: Antique Amplifier Repair..................

Ray Montee wrote:
I had visited several diffent little shops and the young guys in charge had little or no idea about which I was speaking. TUBE amp?????????

Confused where they music stores...or hat shops?
Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2010 11:04 pm    

Ray

Was that the amp that died at my house? Glad it's working!
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2010 8:59 pm     Yepp! That's the one.................

Yepp Chris! That's the one. Works like a charm now and he disconnected the DC charging unit. WHEW!

Thanks Burak for your recommendation.