| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Right Hand Alpha question
Jarek Anderson

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 5:38 pm    

I've been playing guitar for ~17 years, and have been wrestling with a Carter S-10 since January. I have lost my copy of Up from the Top, and I'm not really sure that I miss it.

This Right Hand Alpha course seems to be more of what I'm after as I already have a pretty good foundation in guitar playing.

So my first (and likely not last) question about this course and steeling in general is:

When Mr. Newman is talking about keeping the line in my hand aligned with the 'highest' string that I'm playing, should I be leaving my hand in that position for the duration of the song, or should I be moving it every time that I am playing on lower strings for a bit?

Does that question make sense? Sorry... I've been reading stuff on here all year, I just don't have much experience putting my 'steel thoughts' into good internet speak.

Thanks in advance

-Jarek
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 5:45 pm    

Hi Jarek. He means for the highest string your are playing at the time. Your hand should not be anchored anywhere just let it float forward and back according to the strings you are picking, letting that crease line be your guide...sort of like one would follow the strings with the bar.

Best of Luck with your steel guitar endeavors.
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2010 3:42 am    

I would add to Jerry's fine comment, That would be true with your left hand also, eventually. That's how it came together with me, anyways.

In the beginnings, it's perfectly alright to cover all the strings with your bar and (keeping it straight to the fret), as your focus will be mostly be on your right hand, and you have enough to concentrate on. But as you grow more comfortable with the right hand, you will find the left will catch up.

The bar does move up and back across the strings as you need. It will take a bit, but you will find the bar does not have to cover all 10 strings all the time. This technique will catch up with you as your skill level increases. It will be a little bit like your left index finger kind of "points" to the notes you want to pick.

Others will likely have more fine tips.
Jarek Anderson

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2010 6:48 pm    

Thanks for your input Jerry and James.

I've noticed that left hand movement that you're talking about James... I've been trying it a little because a friend told me that its a good way to mute: using the end of your middle finger on the left hand.

Is there a low point that you don't want to pass? Should I always have the bar on at least 5 strings or something like this?

Thanks

Jarek
James Morehead

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2010 7:41 pm    

Jarek Anderson wrote:

Is there a low point that you don't want to pass? Should I always have the bar on at least 5 strings or something like this?

What ever you feel you can hang onto your bar without dropping it or sacrificing intonation. As you gain bar control skill, you will be able to take the bar down to a couple of strings if you want. It's all about control. Some times you may even pick the bar up for hammer-ons and pull-offs, songs like "steel Guitar Rag", for instance. Then there are bar slants, ect. Hope this helps
James Morehead

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2010 11:39 am    

Also, most players learn to keep their eye on your bar hand, NOT your pickin' hand. You will develope great intonation, keeping your eye on the bar/fret situation. Also, looking at your bar hand, you can SEE the strings move when you pick them. Enjoy.