| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cool Lloyd pic
Bob Knetzger

Kirkland, WA USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2010 6:12 pm    

Sorry if this has been posted already but I thought this was such a great picture...found it on a Facebook album and not sure if all forumers could have see it there, so here it is:

It had this caption:

Lloyd Green at a 1967 session for Lynn Anderson in Columbia Studio B, with a Sho-Bud Fingertip doubleneck 10-string (nine floor pedals and four knee levers) and '65 Fender Twin with one JBL 15" D-130F. "It wasn't unusual for studio players of the era to show up for sessions dressed like this!" Green said.

Lloyd looks like the president of Nashville chapter of Mensa---cool!
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2010 7:22 pm    

Lloyd always was a sharp dresser!

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2010 8:33 pm    

Great pic of Lloyd and the lightening bolt finger tip Sho-Bud, which Lloyd also used on the Charlie Pride "Live at Panther Hall" recording. Great era for Lloyd and deservedly so.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2010 6:56 am    

Pictures like these are so cool! That fingertip oozes of neat history.
Tommy, is there any accurate history known about this steel? Like where it went when Lloyd got rid of it, who has it now? Is it still playing? Lloyd, if you read this it would be nice if you would tell us what you know about it.
My email address is bero1 AT rogers.com
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2010 7:43 am    

I wish that country music instrumentation and production had not diversified from that great era into the modern pop rock that now masquerades as country. Lloyd's tone and playing at that time was real cutting edge.

Buddy Emmons described Lloyd in Country Music People magazine in 1972 as "The freshest thing to happen in Nashville". Praise indeed.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2010 10:39 am     Ldg

Lloyd Green = CLASS ACT! Played a major role in promoting PSG to where it is today. His style and licks from years ago are still fresh today. You know it's Lloyd when he hits the first note.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2010 1:23 pm    

Bent
Lloyd could not contact you through the email address that you have supplied. In the meantime, he has asked me to post this for him.

I know quite a bit about the disposition of my fingertip Sho-bud which I’ll be happy to share with the Forum members.

It’s almost as checkered as during my ownership of it and session use.

I was never a collector of steels, usually preferring to have only one at a time (Sho-Bud kept them in perfect condition for me so I just needed one for my session work).

In 1970 when Shot and David Jackson built my Baldwin D-10, which in late 1972 became the prototype for the 1973 LDG, instead of returning the fingertip to Sho-Bud as I usually did, they said to keep it. I then sold it to Dewitt Scott (“Scotty”) in St. Louis for $500. It then disappeared from visibility until sometime in the 1990s.

One day I got an excited call from Bobbe Seymour who suggested I come to the store. When I walked in he had the original case for that fingertip open and there lay that once beautiful steel…..in pieces. Someone had repainted it; the outside sunburst was now blood red while the center part was a bright yellow. In addition the “lightning bolt” had broken through and was now a jagged piece of broken wood (a defect in the piece of maple had caused the effect).

Anyway, after we were able to confirm it was indeed the one I had played, Bobbe reconstructed the steel using recording studio color pictures I have, sent it to A.J. who had done the original coloring and who replicated it perfectly. Then he and the great steel player Buck Reid reconstructed it with the E-F (F pedal) change exactly where it belonged, on the L-R. You see, that was the steel on which I first added the change when I discovered it in 1967 and I still have the change on the same knee and position.

Then people started wanting to buy it. Bobbe first offered it to me, free of charge. I declined his generous offer. Suddenly Junior Brown called me saying he had to have that guitar. He came by and I took him to Seymour’s store where he put $4500 on the counter wanting it right then. I won’t disclose the rest of the conversation but Bobbe refused to sell it to Junior.

It was sold to a wealthy Texas farmer for $6800 who installed the steel in a private room on his ranch. I have a picture of it sitting there, all alone, on my office desk. I can’t reveal his name without his permission since he may not want to be known.

He later told me in a phone conversation that Bobbe sold it to him at a very cheap price. He was prepared to have it at any price; 25, 50, $100,000. When I later told Bobbe….the color sort of drained from his face. I don’t remember his response just that look.

You see, this gentleman who purchased it had heard a steel guitar for the first time on the “Live at Panther Hall” album when he was 16 years old and fell in love with the instrument, although never becoming a really good player. But he knew much about that fingertip, it having represented something important to him at age 16, and what he didn’t know I supplied, including a list of the 1,000s of records and numerous artists I recorded with during the 3 years I played it.

A couple of years ago I sent him a pristine DVD of that first network appearance of Charley Pride on the Lawrence Welk show in 1967 on which I played the “lightning bolt”. He said the DVD is priceless.

And that is where the Sho-Bud fingertip “lightning bolt” steel lives today; on a ranch in Texas.

Lloyd Green

Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Last edited by Ken Byng on 11 Dec 2010 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2010 1:42 pm    

Wow...thanks Lloyd. I just knew that steel had a very special history.

Ken thanks for passing on that message.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2010 1:45 pm    

neat story, thanks lloyd!
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2010 10:54 pm    

I really appreciate Lloyd's generosity in sharing stories of significance and importance to the history of pedal steel guitar.
Happy Holidays to you all!
TW
robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2010 5:41 am    

Here are the YouTube clips of the '67 Lawrence Welk appearance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJQdR0ciwYg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRYOTlA0i7U&feature=related

The "Just Between You and Me" footage is featured in a current exhibit at the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville.
Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2010 6:21 am    

If I was that farmer I would have done the exact same thing.

The playing and tone on the "Live at Panther Hall" album grabs my heart also. I now own two fingertips because of it.

I would like to know some of Lloyd's favorite recordings with that guitar.

Thank you Mr. Lloyd Green. You are first class all the way.
Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2010 8:06 am     Lloyd Green and Fingertip

Are there any recordings out there that Lloyd plays the C6th neck on?
When I produced the album, 'It's The First Time,' with Jimmy Bryant and 9 steelers in 76 I believe that Lloyd was playing a single neck steel. I didn't know that he ever played a double neck. I do know that even though all the other steelers, Emmons, Chalker, Jernigan and so on were on the C6th neck, Lloyd had no problem doing the fast jazz tunes on his guitar. Thanks, Lloyd, for some great memories.
Dave A. Burley
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2010 9:22 am    

Dave
You can get some of Lloyds C6 stuff here. There is a combined number of tracks both on E 9 and C6.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Steel-Guitar/dp/B002NA2KCQ/ref=sr_shvl_album_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1292174648&sr=301-2
David Hartley

Post  Posted 14 Dec 2010 12:41 pm     Hi

That is a great story.
If he ever finds he hasn't the room for it anymore, I have a place for it! Very Happy
I bought my LDG from a guy about 30miles from here.
It came up for sale in a local newspaper. The man bought it from new, set it up once, and that's where it stayed for about 24 years. He did sit at it a few times but he could never play it. I will never forget that room. It was all 'Lloyd Green'd up with pictures and records etc. It was set up near a large window, therefore suffered a bit of fading to the front. Apart from that, it was like new. My mate Keith White owns it now. He is just 2 miles up the road.
Thank you Lloyd for sharing that story.
Ken, you wrote:-
"I wish that country music instrumentation and production had not diversified from that great era into the modern pop rock that now masquerades as country. Lloyd's tone and playing at that time was real cutting edge."
I agree with you entirely.

David
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 7:04 pm    

Quite honestly....if I had this instrument, I would lend it to a museum to have on display for all to enjoy. No sense just keeping it in a room in my house.

An acquaintance of mine owns pieces of music memorabilia that are worth tens of thousands of dollars individually....he does the same thing. For instance, he has Elton John's piano that was used to write all his music in the '70s. He has it on (permanent?) display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. Better there than in his basement, no?
Glen Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 10:35 pm    

Thanks, Mr. Green for that info. I'm so glad that steel was tracked down and got restored.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2010 4:48 am    

Joe Alterio wrote:
Quite honestly....if I had this instrument, I would lend it to a museum to have on display for all to enjoy. No sense just keeping it in a room in my house.

An acquaintance of mine owns pieces of music memorabilia that are worth tens of thousands of dollars individually....he does the same thing. For instance, he has Elton John's piano that was used to write all his music in the '70s. He has it on (permanent?) display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. Better there than in his basement, no?

Joe - for the owner, the ultimate experience might be for him to sit behind and play the guitar that was the reason for him to become interested in steel guitar in the first place. (The Live at Panther Hall recording). Historically it is very important, but there are many steel guitars out there that belong to collectors, and will rarely see the light of day. One of those things unfortunately, but the value in some cases makes it prohibitive to have them in the public domain.
Len Ryder

Penticton B.C.
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2010 9:36 am    

Finger -Tips:
Any idea how many Finger-Tips were made ? I've had mine since 1966.

Len Ryder
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2010 11:52 pm    

" I didn't know that he ever played a double neck "

He played a triple neck too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0PPlj8tqqI&feature=related
Smile
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2010 11:41 am    

Quote:
Finger -Tips:
Any idea how many Finger-Tips were made ? I've had mine since 1966.

A LOT...More than can be counted; and plus nobody will know that answer.
DeWitt Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2010 1:05 am     Lloyd Green

Yes, I bought Lloyd's double neck finger tip tuning Sho Bud steel guitar. I had it refinished using exactly the same color of the original. I had a recording session here in St. Louis and was carrying the guitar through a doorway and it got snagged on the door latch and broke a chip right off of the center of the front panel. I got so dissenhearted that I immediately sold the guitar. The persons last name was Bartholmew but I don't remember his first name so I lost contact with him. Of course, I now wish that I had kept the guitar! The guitar was on the front of the Moody River LP and a couple of others.

I now wonder what the double neck Sho Bud that was used by Jerry Byrd on a lot of his recordings would be worth. 8 strings on one neck and 7 strings on the other neck with his Goodrich volume pedal. The volume pedal is wired in reverse than the ones we all use. I did have Jerry's Fender Twin Amp but FedEx damaged it getting it from Honolulu to St. Louis. Jerry and I packed it so I know is was packed properly. They picked the amp up and of course, refused to pay the damage. Instead of getting the amp back to me they sent it back to Harry's Music in Hawaii. It had more damage done to it - I asked them to return the amp to me and it somehow got lost in the shuffle. A pity. Scotty