| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to attach legs to old Rickenbacker SW8
Peter Knudsen

Denmark
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2010 1:53 pm    

In the spring I bought this beautiful sounding SW8 from the early 50's.

Unfortunately it was born legless and I have been looking for legs so that I can use it on gigs. Today I "won" 4 old 1950's Rick legs on ebay. I hope I will be able to attach them to my SW8. Has any of you steelers out there tried to do this? Compared to my Fender Stringmaster8 and Fender Champion there is not a lot of wood on this steel and I really don't want to ruin it..

Can any of you tell me what year this model is from looking at the serial number?

Look how some previous owner molested the OHSC..

Here you can see the bottom of the steel.

I look foreward to hear your opinion.

Keep steein'
Jon Nygren

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2010 2:28 pm    

Well, it is an SW8. Great steel.

Just my opinion, but I would NOT rout out the body to put those leg wells in there. You have several options as i see it:

1. Forum member Mark Roeder makes a great lap steel stand. Not sure you want to spend any more money, but it's an option..

2. Get a decent piece of wood, whatever size you want, and put the leg wells in that. Then you could set the steel on top, maybe even use velco to keep it from sliding off.

Both are better options than permanently damaging the steel to get the legs in there, IMO.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2010 3:21 pm    

It looks like someone had attached legs to it in the past, based on the holes in the lining of the case.

Those leg sockets attach as external sockets, so you will not need to rout the body to fit those sockets on it.

I don't believe you can tell the age of Rickenbacker steels from their serial number.
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2010 5:55 pm    

Definitely not a body to rout out. Not thick enough. Surface mount leg sockets would be OK Rick serial numbers are anybody's guess.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2010 7:41 pm     KEY BOARD stands...................

Some key board stands work really nice with a guitar like yours and they're most likely the least expensive alternative for you.

Like it's been said.........DON'T alter the body of your guitar as it could adversely impact the tone of the guitar.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2010 7:08 am    

All of the old Rickenbackers I've seen have had the leg flanges externally mounted.
The well for the leg mount might have to be drilled out somewhat. There should be enough material for that.
I got pretty fancy with this guitar I put legs on:

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2010 5:44 pm    

Take those legs you've acquired and put them under the bed for another project. Unless you intend to keep the guitar for ever and never sell it or bequeath it to your heirs, you'll regret putting screw holes into that nice body. Winking
Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2010 6:54 pm    

Have Mark Roeder build you a stand for the guitar. If it's a guitar you care about, you definitely don't want to drill holes in it. Mark's stand will custom fit your guitar's dimensions.
Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2010 7:35 pm    

Mad
If it was mine I would forget about putting legs on it so not to devalue a vintage instrument.
If you want a steel with legs there are many options already available or you could get a stand.
Or just play it on your lap.
Trace the bare wood outline on the back and secure a cut felt back to it. It is a lot of fun to play that way also.
Nice guitar, I wish it was mine Mr. Green