| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PLEASE CLOSE -re-opened in Electronics - Really weak C6 pick
Gabriel Stutz

Chicago, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2010 3:01 pm    

I just picked up an MCI D10 that appears to hardly have been played at a great price. I bought it at a flea market so I didn't the ability to plug the guitar in and hear it, I just looked at the mechanics (which were fine) and had to make a decision.

Now that I've got it at home and set up, I've found that the C6 neck is very quiet compared to the E9 (quiet enough that I'd have to turn the amp up to play C6 and back down again for E9) and I can't see any obvious reason why this would be. It has the little buttons to switch between the necks that could be bad - it seems like the guitar must have been in storage for a long time - but they aren't obviously scratchy or anything. The wiring all looks fine, and as I said it is great condition. If it helps/matters it has 705's and I'd guess it to be a waco model based on what I've read - or at least made prior to the welded frame guitars.... Any guesses as to the cause of this?

Thanks,
Gabriel

Last edited by Gabriel Stutz on 23 Nov 2010 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stan Schober

Cahokia, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2010 4:21 pm    

Quite possibly a bad soldering job somewhere in the circuit. A "cold" joint can cause a huge loss in signal. Try giving the wires a bit of a wiggle under there ...you may just locate the problem. Don't be afraid to give all the switches some rapid flipping, and shoot some tuner cleaner down in them.
Of course, you may have a bad P/U, but it's highly unlikely that such a "new" guitar would have a "dead" P/U.

Chicago, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2010 3:10 pm    

Stan,

Thanks. I'm hoping that's the problem. I haven't had a chance to mess with it much since I brought it home, though. I does seem unlikely to be the pickup, but I guess it could have corroded during storage....?

Thanks,
Gabriel

By the way, where's Cahokie? I'm in Chicago.
Stan Schober

Cahokia, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2010 4:15 pm    

Gabriel Stutz wrote:
Stan,

Thanks. I'm hoping that's the problem. I haven't had a chance to mess with it much since I brought it home, though. I does seem unlikely to be the pickup, but I guess it could have corroded during storage....?

Thanks,
Gabriel

By the way, where's Cahokie? I'm in Chicago.

Metal contacts can corrode and degrade a lot if the equipment is stored in a damp environment.

(I'm right across the river from St. Louis.)

Chicago, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2010 5:24 pm    

Well, I went through and re-soldered every joint I could find and there is no change. It seems like it must be the button switch or the pickup. The switch seems fine, I think... When it's in the E9 position it's fine, but when it's on the C6 there is hardly any volume, and when in the "both necks" position the E9 tone is fine and loud, but the C6 neck is still very quiet and gets even thinner sounding....? Anybody else have any thoughts?
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2010 5:42 pm    

i imagine you would have noticed, but the c6 pickup could be lower and farther away from the strings??
(wish it could be that simple)
Gabriel Stutz

Chicago, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2010 5:54 pm    

Chris,

Thanks. I wish it were that simple, but it's right where it ought to be I'm afraid.

I opened this topic up in Electronics where I should have in the first place, so I'm asking b0b to close this one.....
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2010 6:25 pm    

Have you measured each p/u with an ohm meter?