| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  International Sho-Bud Brotherhood welcomes Bernie Gonyea
Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2010 6:17 pm    

In just two months, the International Sho-Bud Brotherhood has doubled in size.

Bernie Gonyea has announced he is an International Sho-Bud Brother. That makes two of us.

Stay tuned for future developments.

Andrew Roblin
International Sho-Bud Brotherhood
Member #79

The International Sho-Bud Brotherhood is now accepting new members.
Requirements: A strong desire to be a member of the International Sho-Bud Brotherhood. Or Sisterhood.
Dues: Once a year, write yourself a check in the amount of your choosing for your own purposes, preferably somehow related to steel guitar.
Member number: Pick a number you can remember. Duplicate numbers are okay.
Origin: Harry Jackson's beautiful practice of calling everybody "Brother."
Motto: Respect for music, instruments and people.

Long live the International Sho-Bud Brotherhood!
Long live Sho-Bud!
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2010 10:40 pm    

I'll go there with you, Andrew Smile

You can call me number nine if'n it matters....Smile
Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2010 3:07 am    

Welcome, Brother Dave. It's nice to see you with your Sho-Bud.

And it's great to see that membership in the International Sho-Bud Brotherhood has grown by another 50%.

Some potentially good news: Another Sho-Bud Brother--the owner of the third Sho-Bud double-neck (after Jimmy Day and Buddy Emmons got the first two) and the first Sho-Bud Super Pro--says he may have some stories to tell us.

Thanks to the great Bobbe Seymour for his excellent article recently in Bobbe's Tips about the incredible Sho-Bud solid-state amps. I feel lucky he's writing Sho-Bud history before its forgotten.

Andrew
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2010 3:43 am    

Andrew you can count me in with my '83 ShoBud SuperPro.
I'll take # 41.
Don
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2010 8:04 am    

Andrew, you can count me in with this baby -

I'll take #40 - that way Don and I can help each other remember our numbers!

Cahokia, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2010 9:37 am    

I'd be proud to call you all Brothers !
I'll take #33 if'n y'all don't mind.

1973 Professional

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2010 9:39 am    

Do we get hats or T-shirts or somethin'?

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2010 1:31 pm    

how about #48?

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2010 7:44 pm     Can I join ???

Hi Andrew , My first "pedal steel " was a Fender that Shot put pedals on back in 1954 !! And I did own a Sho-Bud Jerry Byrd Frypan !! Does that kinda qualify me ??? Pretty Please !!!??? I'll take # 13 !!! the old geezer AKA Eddie "C"
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2010 8:16 pm    

And we're working on a "Tone Spread" that is actually peanut butter that you can smear on the strings of your favorite Sho~Bud to give it that "Push Pull Emmons Sound", or the "MSA Tone"...

If I have some time in the lab, I'll work up something on photoshop...

Smile

EJL
Leslie Ehrlich

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2010 8:23 pm    

When I decided to get a PSG I decided it was Sho-Bud or nothing. Mr. Green

Various places
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2010 4:08 am    

Welcome, Brothers Eddie, Bruce, Eric, Stan, Skip and Don.

Eddie, you don't have to ask me if you're a member. I am NOT in charge. I like to think of myself as the International Sho-Bud Brotherhood janitor, because that's what I did many years ago at the Sho-Bud store.

You say you're a Sho-Bud Brother, so you are a Sho-Bud Brother. Your respect for music, instruments and people--and your friendliness and hospitality--are proof. That goes for all of us.

Eric, what brand of peanut butter do you recommend smearing on a Sho-Bud to make it sound like an MSA or Emmons? Personally, I'm allergic.

In my capacity as janitor, I approve #48 for Bruce, #33 for Stan, #13 for Eddie, #40 for Skip, #41 for Don and #9 for Dave. You guys have chosen great numbers.

A big International Sho-Bud welcome to my fellow Canadian ("snowback," as Shot used to say), Saskatoon's own Leslie Ehrlich.

A couple of updates:

I'm at a delicate stage in negotiations with a former Sho-Bud employee who may want to share his inside info on the Forum. Wish me luck. He's got some stories to tell, including his gigs with Buck Owens, Wynn Stewart and Connie Smith and his use of a high G# string in the 1950s. He may have been the first.

And I'm in talks with a member of the illustrious Jackson family to post a previously unpublished autographed photo--looks to be from the 1940s or early 1950s--of the great Shot Jackson.

Have a Sho-Bud day, Brothers! I'd like to get some Sho-Bud Sisters on board...

Andrew
Member #79
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 19 Nov 2010 10:34 am    

Bo #6637
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 19 Nov 2010 10:36 am    

Stuart #7366
Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2010 12:13 pm    

Here's a picture I've never seen before, courtesy of Dawn Jackson. It's made out to Harry, Aline and David Jackson.

Thank you, Dawn!

Welcome, Sho-Bud Brothers Bo and Stuart.

Andrew
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2010 6:50 pm    

Oh.. #533.

Andrew if you're allergic to PB, Rasberry Jam or Boot Grease works lightly smeared on the strings between the fretboard and the picking area.

A regular amount for that EPP sound, and a bunch for the MSA "tone".

"Rarely have we seen a person fail...."

Wink

EJL
David Ziegler

Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2010 6:34 am    

I own 2 sho-Buds,darn shame I can't play worth a lick,but I love 'em! Since I have responsibility for caring for 2 of these beauties,I'll take the number 2 as my membership number. Thanks brethern!
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2010 3:44 pm    

You can count me in the club. My number is 39. Joining brothers in the Sho~Bud club.

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2010 9:04 pm     International Sho-Bud brotherhood

Andrew, I'd also like to join the Sho-Bud Bro's Club! I'm on my second 'Bud a '74 6140 3&4 blondie. I'd like # 74 if it's available.pics later!
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Last edited by Dana Blodgett on 29 Mar 2011 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2010 3:59 am    

I've got to say, I'm really touched by the quest for brotherhood. I like having brothers!

Welcome, International Sho-Bud Brothers David Zeigler, Ronnie Boettcher, Dana Blodgett and Thomas Voigt, who announced his brotherhood via an email.

Likewise, Al Udeen sent me an email declaring himself a Sho-Bud Brother. Al has some great history to tell us. I don't want to change a word, so here's what he wrote:

Hello Andrew!
I would like to be a member,if possible. I bought the third double neck Sho-Bud
in 1957,{Jimmy Days was #1& Buddy Emmons was #2]Then in 1975, I became Sho-Bud
Product Mgr, while working for Gretsch,I handled all the marketing,as Gretsch
was the exclusive distributer of all Sho-Bud products, I left Gretsch in 1979
when Gretsch merged with Custom Electronics, which resulted in Gretsch & Sho-Bud
to virtually go out of business, I also Received the very first Sho-Bud
Super-Pro that we introduced at the NAAM show in Chicago in 1977, I played that
wonderful guitar for 16 years! I still play locally & may have some fairly vital
info, If & when needed, regarding Sho-Bud history, Thank You! Al Udeen

I asked Al to tell me more. Here's what he wrote next:

Thanks for the welcome! & here's a little Bio.

In 1974 the local Gretsch rep, who had booked my band a few times, called & said he was moving to Nashville, & that Gretsch was looking for someone that had a sales background, & being a player would be a plus, An appointment was set up & I went to Cincinnati, Oh, for an interview with the Management of Baldwin Piano & Organ Co, "Owners of Gretsch at the time" I had gone to a library to study how steel guitar became an instrument from the early 1800s in Hawaii, I knew that the job had required a knowledgable & informative story of that nature, I also had to give a playing demonstration & my Idea of how to sell Sho-Bud guitars, As I look back, this my sound funny, but it worked enough to get the job with flying colors, I told them that we needed to go after the non-player, instead of the present players for 2 reasons, The present players already had a guitar & little or no money, But the truck drivers,factory workers, & such, who would most likely never become a player, but had the money to experiment with, After I started the job in Jan 1975, I put together, what I called a "Take home and plug in and play package, which consisted of a Maverick guitar, a small Sonax amp, volume pedal, & Sho-Bud teaching books, 1,2,&3 for I believe around $699,00? we sold a ton of these packages to almost every Gretsch dealer in the country. Then in 1977 we introduced the Sup-Pro line at the NAAM show in Chicago, I took the 1st one "The black one on the SB catalog, which I helped put together" home & played it for 16 yrs, I had met Shot Jackson in 57 along with Buddy Emmons at Shot's garage in Madison, Tn. At that time,I actually ordered the guitar with a high G# on top, above the top E string, So i had that string a yr or 2 before Mooney. but never made a big deal about it, Sorry for such a long disertation, but it's hard to explain some things without going in to a little detail, By the way, I had Shot convert the 57 from a D-8 to D-9 after moving to Tucson, Az, in 59 where I wound up working with Buck Owens & Wynn Stewart in 59-60, I did try the Nashville thing in 69 working with Connie Smith,but being newly married & wife expecting, had to move back to good old Mn. with my present wife, where I could play 6 nites a wk & work a day job to support my family, but please don't take any of the above as a brag, but I will brag about my son, CJ Udeen who is presently playing steel for Gary Allan & in Bobbe Seymours words, a world class player! I must agree! He gets his Mullen guitars free from Mullen! Thanks again! I also play a Mullen, but I don't get mine free! later! au

Then I asked Al why he decided to add the G# string. Here's what Al said:

Hi again:
In 57 I took a few theory lessons from a local guitar player, He told me that if I had a string above my high E, I wouldn't have to slant the bar to achieve certain chords, "Example" On Earnest Tubbs, "Half a Mind" [cut in 58] Buddy Emmons uses a right slant on the 4th note of the intro, At the time the E was the top string in the 8string E9th tuning, that 4th note was on strings 123, which are strings 456 in todays 10 string E9th tuning. My first amp was a fender ,"before reverb" So. I put a Danelectro reverb box in the bottom of the amp, I certainly don't mind having you put any info on your site regarding my playing history, However, I've never been much on putting things on the forum, such as, "Here's me playing this or that, or I played with so&so, as so many do. But after all my years of playing, I guess I am a little proud of some of my early accompleshments, Also I do have some pictures, & some cassette tapes of my playing, I did several Music store Sho-Bud playing clinics, & could send you a tape of one that came out pretty fair, Thanks Again! Al Udeen

Thanks, Al Udeen! Nobody else could have told us about this.

I hope we'll get more Sho-Bud history from sisters, brothers and others.

Andrew
Member #79
Jon Logan

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2010 8:43 am     Sho-Bud brotherhood

Picked up my first Sho-Bud Pro-I around 1980... Bought my Super Pro this year. Guess I'll opt for #17,,, my call sign in a land far away,,,,

Various places
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2010 10:02 am    

Wow and welcome, Brother Jon! Fine photos.

It's nice to see you with the great Jeff Newman. I always enjoyed him bringing his steelers to the Sho-Bud store and factory. His and their presences helped me realize how special those places were. It's a pleasure to study his material today and remember him.

You and your Super-Pro look great.

Andrew
Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2010 2:50 am    

I thought about Sho-Bud and my Sho-Bud family yesterday, as I often do.

I remembered the spring of 1979, when Harry hired me. I'd been in Nashville (from Canada) a couple of months, trying to make my $400 stretch as far as possible. I'd made one or two friends, including Gene Wooten, who suggested I apply with Harry for a job as janitor at Sho-Bud.

I was 19, and I hadn't eaten well on a regular basis since I was 16. I think Gene and Harry noticed that I was skinny.

I told Harry I was Canadian. He hired me anyway.

Sometimes, I drank or smoked pot on the job. Sometimes, I came into work hungover. I didn't get fired.

Instead, my Sho-Bud family fed me lunch most work days. And taught me how to work on musical instruments.

And kept me employed. Even through a recession, Even as Sho-Bud was failing.

Thank you, Gene and Harry. Thank you Shot, AJ, Mike, Viv, Brad, Bill, Kathy, CJ, Edna, Jack and Jeanie, Thank you, Chris and Donna and Shotsy.

By the way...A lot of Shot's recordings are showing up on eBay these days. And b0b has one of Shot's all time classics with Buddy Emmons:

http://steelguitarmusic.com/tapes/A-058.html

Andrew Roblin
Member #79
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2011 5:07 pm     My "new" Bud

My brothers, I am back!

25 years after selling my blonde Pro-III to some guy in Japan, I am again the proud owner of a Bud, this time a roundfront S-10 (see below).

This blonde birdseye beauty was refurbed by the estimable James Morehead last year: plays like butter, sounds even better. It's like a '67 Chevy, nicely restored not exactly to its original condition, but mechanically tweaked to 2011 playability standards.

Check it out:

And of course, James' special genius, the undercarriage:

It's serial no. 3270 so I'm guessing it's a 6139 from '73. Hopefully Gene Haugh will have more info.

And I'll take #114.
Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2011 5:25 pm     sho bud brotherhood

Beautiful guitar Frank! Gongrats on the aquisition.The Birdeye maple was incredible,reminds me of my guitar # 74

'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme