| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Riders of the Purple Sage; Nov. 20 - Phoenix, AZ
David Rupert

Mesa, Arizona (via Mahopac, NY & Missouri).
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2010 10:46 am    

New Riders of the Purple Sage

With Buddy Cage

http://www.nrpsmusic.com

Saturday
November 20, 2010
9:00 pm

The Compound Grill

7000 E. Mayo Blvd.
Building 21
Phoenix, AZ 85054

Ph: 480.585.5483

"Music. Without it, life itself...would be impossible."

ZumSteel - Encoreâ„¢ S-10 / 3p x 5k (Two-Tone; Red & Black Top).
Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

Most Importantly: the musicians hands...& soul.

http://www.bandmix.com/pedal-steel-75/

Last edited by David Rupert on 2 Nov 2010 7:09 pm; edited 4 times in total
David Rupert

Post  Posted 2 Nov 2010 11:10 am     Website Woes

I don't understand it.

The New Riders Link, I put in...is there website. But, for some reason...it keeps taking me to another site. This just started happening, today. So, maybe it's just some temporary "computer fluke?"

b0b, Do you have any suggestions?

Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2010 12:03 pm    

I suspect that their web site registration expired, and they switched registrars. The correct site for them now is:

http://www.nrpsmusic.com/

Post  Posted 2 Nov 2010 7:13 pm    

b0b wrote:
I suspect that their web site registration expired, and they switched registrars. The correct site for them now is:

http://www.nrpsmusic.com/

Thanks b0b!

David Rupert

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2010 6:09 pm     Hope to see ya...at the Show!

Bought my 2 tickets online, last night! Cool

It's gonna be a great show. I'm looking forward to seeing & hearing Buddy Cage...& the New Riders! It's been awhile, since I've seen them...Live.

Are any Fellow Forumites, planning on attending the show? Hope so!

If so...I hope to meet with ya!

Take care! Smile

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2010 7:26 am    

Oh boy, I hate to make a negative post, so apologies in advance, but......some friends and I saw their show a year ago up in Massachusetts and we were all looking forward to it.
Saw them in a small venue, was able to see and hear everything just fine, including Buddy and all his gear.
However, it was more like a Grateful Dead show...long, long jam songs with very little steel happening.
Was looking forward to hearing "state of the art" rock steel...or at least some of the old speed picking classic stuff, but really heard neither.
Mostly just jam-rock all night Sad
I think we actually left during the break between sets...it actually got boring.
Sorry...I know negative reviews aren't helpful but that's what we experienced.
Maybe the show will be different this time around.
Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2010 3:42 pm     thanks Tony

I was contemplating a long drive to see the new riders... but think I will just skip it for now thanks. Ron

Post  Posted 6 Nov 2010 5:08 pm     no problem...I can relate

Tony Palmer wrote:
Oh boy, I hate to make a negative post, so apologies in advance, but......some friends and I saw their show a year ago up in Massachusetts and we were all looking forward to it.
Saw them in a small venue, was able to see and hear everything just fine, including Buddy and all his gear.
However, it was more like a Grateful Dead show...long, long jam songs with very little steel happening.
Was looking forward to hearing "state of the art" rock steel...or at least some of the old speed picking classic stuff, but really heard neither.
Mostly just jam-rock all night Sad
I think we actually left during the break between sets...it actually got boring.
Sorry...I know negative reviews aren't helpful but that's what we experienced.
Maybe the nshow will be different this time around.

Not a problem, Tony.

I can relate with what you're saying. I have seen this line-up a few times. There was one show, where things were like you explained. But,
I've heard them on Live Webcasts, & they sounded excellent! I'm not into long/extended jams, myself. I've walked out the door, on a few occasions...when a song was going on, for 15 Minutes...or more. Long jams just Annoy me - I never could see the appeal to them.

My wife & I are definitely attending the show. I'm hoping it will be a great show...without long/extended jams. I want to hear the Riders, as I fondly remember them. A great country-rock band...with a virtuoso pedal steel guitarist; Buddy Cage.

I hope fellow-Forumites will attend this show, or other shows on this tour. I have a good feeling...you won't be disappointed. And instead, enjoy a great night of excellent Country-Rock...with excellent pedal steel.

Give 'em another chance! Hope to see some of you at this show.

Take care!

James Mudge

Nashua, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2010 6:40 pm     Nrps

I've gone to a couple of the New Riders shows at a small club in southern New Hampshire, both within the last year or so. I found the shows to be enjoyable and the audience very engaged. They are writing and playing quite a bit of new material so don't expect it to be an "oldies" show, but they do a good selection of songs from their 70's & early 80's playlist.

Buddy Cage is still an amazing steel player, although he seems kind of quirky. The last couple of times I've seen him play, he sets his steel up facing across the stage, not facing the audience. You will recognize his unique style as soon as he begins playing. He has been playing a well broken in red single neck Emmons when I've seen him. He also has an array of effects boxes that he uses.

If you have been a long time fan of the Riders I would recommend going. If you are looking to see a "straight ahead" county band, this probably isn't a show for you.
David Rupert

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2010 2:55 am    

James,

Buddy has been setting up his steel, on that angle...for decades. I've never seen him set up, any other way. On a 90 Degree angle; facing the band...not the audience. There's a technical reason for doing this. He is totally deaf, in his right ear. He has been, since he was a teenager. He was in bad car accident...& lost all hearing in his right ear. Due to the impact, he had a brain hemorrhage...and due to the damage, he lost hearing in his right ear. He was a steel player at this time, & had to position himself on the stage like this. This was years before he was in the New Riders. I wouldn't be posting such personal stuff, if I didn't think it was okay to do so. It's mentioned on the Internet, in his Biography.

In his earlier years with the Riders, I don't think he angled his steel...as much as his current 90 degrees. More like...75-80 degrees, or so.

James Mudge

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2010 9:29 am     Buddy Cage

I wasn't aware of Buddy's hearing loss. I didn't mean to imply that he was anti-social, I just don't recall his stage set up that way back in the "olden days" when I used to go see them. Any way here is a picture from one of the shows I went to.

David Rupert

Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 2:38 am     Re: Buddy Cage

James Mudge wrote:
I wasn't aware of Buddy's hearing loss. I didn't mean to imply that he was anti-social, I just don't recall his stage set up that way back in the "olden days" when I used to go see them. Any way here is a picture from one of the shows I went to.

Howdy James!

Cool pic! I didn't think you were implying that Buddy is anti-social, or anything else. Not a problem, here!

Thanks for posting...& take care!

David Rupert

Post  Posted 12 Nov 2010 3:45 pm     bump

Bump... Smile

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 6:30 pm     NRPS with Buddy Cage

I went to a New Years eve concert featuring the Grateful Dead with the NRPS opening for them back in 1971 somewhere in SF.If my memory serves me well BC set up his guitar facing the audience at that particular concert. The NRPS were INCREDIBLE that night! They just totally blew the Dead away ,put them to shame to say the least. At that particular time they were so polished! I remember checking out the guitar and wondering what the pedals did? Buddy was sooo good that night that I just had to get me a PSG after that.They also had on some really cool western motif outfits/looked the part yeah!The Dead must of had a glass or two of the Koolaid before they came on or something.It was one of the best concerts I ever saw.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
David Rupert

Post  Posted 17 Nov 2010 1:31 am     Re: NRPS with Buddy Cage

Dana Blodgett wrote:
I went to a New Years eve concert featuring the Grateful Dead with the NRPS opening for them back in 1971 somewhere in SF.If my memory serves me well BC set up his guitar facing the audience at that particular concert. The NRPS were INCREDIBLE that night! They just totally blew the Dead away ,put them to shame to say the least. At that particular time they were so polished! I remember checking out the guitar and wondering what the pedals did? Buddy was sooo good that night that I just had to get me a PSG after that.They also had on some really cool western motif outfits/looked the part yeah!The Dead must of had a glass or two of the Koolaid before they came on or something.It was one of the best concerts I ever saw.

Howdy Dana!

It's "possible," that he was facing the audience. But, I've never seen Buddy set-up...facing the audience. Not totally parallel with the stage, that is. From his Biography, he states that he started positioning his steel that way...decades ago. Before NRPS.

I don't doubt at all, that the Riders..."Blew the Dead away, etc." I always felt, New Riders...were a much tighter (and better sounding) band. Buddy, being the strongest/most talented member of the New Riders. He's a virtuoso. I also, was so impressed by seeing Buddy Cage play LIVE, for the 1st time -- that I decided THAT night, to buy a pedal steel guitar...& become a steel player! He turned a generation of "Baby Boomers," onto Pedal Steel! He, & many others...should have been given an award at Scotty's -- for playing such a BIG part in the world of pedal steel! Buddy Cage, Rusty Young, John "David" Call, Bobby Black, and many others.

Thanks for posting. Great post!! Cool

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2010 7:48 am    

The Grateful Dead were very unpredictable during their early years. They could be masters of the universe one night and just a lot of noise the next. They didn't really reach a level of consistently good performances until they started playing stadiums. (Just my opinion, of course.)

NRPS, on the other hand, always performed well. Maybe it's because their songs were more structured. With less space for improvisation, there was less opportunity for things to go horribly wrong.

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2010 9:15 am     NRPS with Buddy Cage;Nov 20

David -Well I wouldn't swear to it on a stack of Bibles about BC's set up position as I also was guilty of having some of the Koolaid that great night!Truly a memorable night.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2010 9:30 am     NRPS;with Buddy Cage;Nov. 20

Bob, I agree about the Dead's inconsistentcy and the NRPS consistency. I still enjoyed both groups for what the were!
As a side note I was greatly saddened by the death of John Dawson(Marmaduke)only 64! I truly thought he was a great singer and an even better song writer, very colorful lyrics. John Dawson's lyrics and the NRPS delivery could transport me to "other" places. I still sing lots of Marmaduke songs and have been for the last 30 years.
James Mudge

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2010 7:37 am     NRPS Show

Well, I came to this thread looking for a full report on the NRPS show. Inquiring minds want to know.
David Rupert

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2010 1:20 pm     Re: NRPS Show

James Mudge wrote:
Well, I came to this thread looking for a full report on the NRPS show. Inquiring minds want to know.

Well James, I think you came to the right place. Smile

My wife & I, attended the show. We had a great time! Buddy & the Riders...played excellent! I'm lying in bed at the moment, typing on my smart phone...so, I'll keep it short for now. But, I'll be back later tonight...ok?

I took 64 Photos...& shot 4 videos/4 songs, with my Canon PowerShot. They came out great!

I'll post some pics. How do I post a video clip, if it isn't connected to a website? I will most likely post these videos on my Facebook account. And pics...of course.

Well, bye for now. Be back later tonight.

Take care!

David Rupert

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2010 1:28 pm     correction

...I meant to type, that I shot 6 videos/songs. And, 64 Photos.

Even more important. I didn't mean to imply, that I was only going to post the pictures on my Facebook page. I'll definitely post pics right here on the Steel Forum, as well.

Around how many should I post, here?

Ciya!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2010 2:17 pm    

The more pictures you post, the slower the forum goes.

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2010 4:18 pm     Amount?

b0b wrote:
The more pictures you post, the slower the forum goes.

Hi b0b!

Yeah...I know. I don't want to slow down your website. So, what's a good number? I'd like to post some. They're very good quality. Please let me know the max, ok? Thanks b0b!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2010 6:40 pm    

There is no max, as you can clearly see by what people do in the classified ads. Post the ones that you like.

Post  Posted 23 Nov 2010 1:03 am     Pictures

b0b wrote:
There is no max, as you can clearly see by what people do in the classified ads. Post the ones that you like.

Okay b0b. Thanks!

I resized the pictures I'm posting now, down to 640 x 480.

I hope the amount of pictures, is not too many. Or, "overkill." Rolling Eyes

Thanks again! Smile