| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My New Workstation
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 8:07 pm    

halfway finished organizing my new workstation...take a peak!
Left side Windows ProTools Interface, Center, Steel Pre-amps and effects, right side Cakewalk/Mac recording Interface!

Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 8:23 pm    

Looks like a nice rig, man.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 11:58 pm    

Now go get you some good work done!
David Hartley

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 6:31 am     Hello Mr Adams

I Like it. iMac too. very nice. Oh, is the orange power screwdriver there for when it falls to bits with all the weight? Very Happy

Hope you're keeping well Mickey.

CU soon.

PS:- I recommend Apple TV for your lounge ! Its brilliant ! Google it!

Regards, David
Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 3:39 pm    

Hey Mickey, is this set up in your home, or in your JETTTTT??? Larry B.
Michael Robertson

Ventura, California. USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 3:45 pm     Looks Good but

Yea it looks good but can it play "Crazy Arms?"
Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 4:19 pm    

Hey Mickey....looks great.....thanks for getting me up and running ..... I got Windows 7 running on this thing now....and it's fine...... My Mullen is playing as smooth as butter and sounds better than my "other" guitar (lol).....will talk about the KL's later.....have some fun with that new system....HAL
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.
Dennis Saydak

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2010 8:03 am    

Ha! That will never fly. Laughing
Bill Waskiewicz

Deerfield Beach, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2010 1:37 pm    

I'm impressed.
Bill W. Smile Smile
Ken Adkins

Galena, Mo
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2010 1:41 pm    

Needs a ham radio or two! Hi
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2010 2:58 pm    

Yeah!!! Bells and whistles are what I live for Smile

That unit on the middle shelf to the lower left of the display looks like a police scanner... Razz

The only problem I've found with my workstation is that, being right handed, I gotta take my picks off to do any reasonably accurate knob twisting.

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2010 9:37 pm    

Headed home for the weekend..and to finish this thing, and 4 more guitars in various stages of overhaul! I've been out flying for several days...billybobs this weekend !,!!
The "scanner" is a Roland midi sound Canvas!
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
David Hartley

Post  Posted 17 Nov 2010 12:58 am     Mickey..

Mickey....

If you haven't already got it, I recommend Peterson strobosoft for iMac. It's so much more stable and it's always there to check tuning while recording. There is a small learning curve but once you have saved presets it works loads better than the flip. The stroboflip can then stay in your pack a seat. It was really good value as well and when you see it and use it you will see what I mean. Download from peterson of course.

Story.. I was doing a western swing session last night on the iMac for a guy in France. I spent about an hour and a half recording the steel track. I started on the C6th for the first part of the song. Got to within a few bars from the end after 160 drop ins! Then the iMac crashed!!!! When I opened up Logic Pro again, my steel track was gone! I was using a bit of choice language for a while and then I discovered it saved all the session as a crashed file. Clicked on it and it all came back. It probably got fed up of all my Dropins.

That's why I like iMac, it did think of saving before crashing.

Going back to Mickeys set up, I think you will find that you won't need all that hardware eventually Mickey. It's nice to keep, and looks good, but seriously, a quality audio card with your telonics pedal direct from you mullen would record great. Once you've got your plugin compressors, EQ and reverbs saved as your preferred.

Anyway, I might be telling you how to suck an egg Mickey, you may have already been using iMac for years.

Have fun with it all when you get the time to do so.

I saw you on a YouTube video yesterday sitting in steel guitar Nashville watching a guy playing a Jackson steel very nicely too, on Apple TV.

Bye for now.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2010 10:27 am    

Not to put the damper on it, but I set my recording gear up similar to this and found that in order to read the settings of equipment below waiste level you had to be almost on the floor. The equalizers, compressors, etc., which you have close to the ground need to be turned through 90% so you can read the settings from above, which, of course, would mean pulling them out of their current positions. The best place for anything with adjustable controls is at eye level or standing on edge so that you can see the settings from above.
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2010 10:52 am    

Very nice, Mickey! Can't wait to get over there to your place and see it in person, as well as doing another twin steel song. Let us hope that the dogs in your neighbor's back yard don't howl at us like they did the last time we tried doing a twin steel thing! Laughing
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2010 6:11 am    

I'm afraid I'm a 19-inch rack-mount fan. Here's a photo each of my two "workstations". First is my normal unit:-

and here is a second unit I occasionally get to use:-

Mostly I am in the first unit. Once it is set up it's more or less like a B747-400 in cruise - just sit back, watch the screens and touch nothing!
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2010 10:17 am     Holy COW!

Geez Ned!!!....Does it have a "Bitchin Betty"??????
Incredible!...You 747 guys make too much money!...LOL
Ned McIntosh

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2010 11:27 am    

Hi Mickey,

Well, you know the old joke about the 747...they only put the hump on it so the pilots could sit on their wallets! Laughing

Actually I'm putting together a DAW/video editing machine at the moment. It has 4 63Gb 10,000rpm Ultra-SCSI drives, an mAudio Delta 1010 audio interface driven by a Mackie 1604VLZ-pro 16-ch mixer. Haven't decided on the sequencer software yet but Cubase is a hot favourite.

Also need to get a video capture card that can take 1920 X 1080 25i video input as well as HD-SDI and SDI in, with component and composite inputs as well. The editing software will probably be Vegas in one of its incarnations. I also need a really decent 8-track recorder.

We have a number of very talented vocalists who need to be recorded and the local country music people are somewhat in the past as far as their understanding of audio is concerned.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
David Hartley

Post  Posted 23 Nov 2010 1:17 pm     Phew!

Is that a picture of NASA mission control?

I think I would trade that in for a couple of 27" iMacs myself!

One for recording, one for video..

Very Happy
Bob Vantine

Freeville, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2010 7:22 pm    

hey Mickey....
it's good to know that I've picked some of the same gear as you !

Rolling Eyes those 18v B&D flashlights are great ! Rolling Eyes

work station looks great !

****Bob V****
Peavey Guitars
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2010 11:30 pm    

can you get the Buddy Emmons tone with those milion buttons?

Db

Post  Posted 23 Nov 2010 11:37 pm    

Hi David,

No, not NASA mission control, rather more like emission control!

This is the outside of the first "workstation";-

and this is the outside of the second "workstation" which is a little smaller and I don't operate it all that much:-

and for those who are curious as to what a geostationary communications satellite actually looks like on a spectrum-analyser, here is a screenshot of the trace of Optus D1, parked over the Pacific Ocean at 160 degrees East, 36,000Km above the earth:-

We like to say "what we do isn't rocket-science...it's what happens afterwards!" Very Happy

Perhaps it's the ultimate ham-shack?

Last edited by Ned McIntosh on 24 Nov 2010 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
David Hartley

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2010 5:25 am     Hi

Ned.
You're from Australia.
Are you a steel player?
Do you know Mark Thomas?
Pro steeler in Aussie who I met a couple of weeks ago.
I forget where he's from exactly!
He's just ordered a Rains Very Happy

So, what's that all about, is it a mobile recording studio or an outside broadcast vehicle?

And Gerry Hale? Do you know him. It's a small country, so you probably bump into them both on a regular basis. Laughing
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2010 5:28 am    

Re: satellite link:

Nice dish... can you warm a hot dog with it? Very Happy

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2010 10:59 am     Hi

Yes Ray, I could do with that. The dog has eaten my 2nd LNB in 2 weeks. It has to be on ground level as it's a listed house! I think the mustard is going on it next time, with a few Mexican peppers. That should stop him.. There again, probably not..

Anyway, we are hi-jacking Mickey's thread here.

How's it going Mickey, have you fired it all up yet?

I don't understand why you have windows on you mac? Or have I got that wrong?

I did try you on Facebook the other night, but knowing you, you was flying around somewhere..

Regards, David