| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ganglion Cyst Saga #1
Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 5:53 am    

After bursting the cyst several times myself only to have it come back, I went to a surgeon with the problem. The third trip he used the needle program and punched several holes in the cyst. It went away for about 1 1/2 years. It came back and was very very hard as if it had calcified. I gave up and had it cut out on 10/22. There has been a lot of night time pain that pills didn't relieve but I found out a wrist brace helped a lot. I managed to play a two hour dance on 11/12 but the fingers are about 1/2 dead. It is hard to tell what string you are on. It will be a total of six weeks before I can lift my gear. I am lucky that I pick with guys that carry my stuff for me. I am not a pro but I thought this might give some insight for someone that is.
I forgot to say the cyst was on the right wrist.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 9:43 am    

Hi Roual,
My heart goes out to you my man. I dread the day when my fingers get too stiff to play, or anything, like your ailment. What is the long-term outlook? Do exercises help?
I have a friend in Norway who is suffering from some joint-stiffening problem in his right hand (not arthritis). Gustav has a brand new Rains sitting in his living room and unable to play it.

I hope for a full recovery for you!
Richard Park

Alexandria, Virginia
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 10:06 am    

Hey Roual,
I had just about the same exact problem. Someone told me that 6 weeks after surgery, I would have forgotten which wrist it was. Well, 6 MONTHS after, it was still killing me. I couldn't bang a hammer, open a bottle of wine, etc without screaming. I went back to the surgeon and he prescribed therapy. I went twice a week for six weeks and now it's about 90% restored. It aches a little in the morning sometimes, but I'm back to doing all those important tasks mentioned above. The therapy hurts, but it worked for me. Throughout the whole deal, it never bothered me when I played, other than when the spot where the stitches were came in contact with my 10th string. Try a therapist. Good luck.
Chris Dorch

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2010 8:31 am    

I had one show up, and lived on my wrist for years.. I did nothing and one day it was gone... I understand the issues with them and feel for you...