| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CA-30 question
Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2010 12:39 pm    

It's getting increasingly difficult to tune as I always have - by ear - when allowance is barely given at gigs (noise level, everyone else using tuners, etc.).
I have a Korg CA-30 and a U12 MSA.
I imagine there's a thread here somewhere, but can someone supply a tuning chart for that tuner and an E9/B6 Universal? 8 floor/5 knee, but any help is very appreciated. Thanks very much.
Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 13 Nov 2010 2:43 pm    

Daniel, here's the one from Jeffran, I hope it helps.
http://www.jeffran.com/tuning.php
Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2010 4:56 pm    

Ah, yes, Jeff's chart.
Thanks, Dickie, I'd forgotten that one; although it goes in half-cents, and the tuner will only calibrate in whole steps, it should still make things easier when I can't hear/am not given time to tune by ear.
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2010 9:20 pm    

I use a CA30 and in a short while you will learn where the needle should settle for certain pitches. I find it's the the quickest tuner for me. I can trust it without hearing anything till I hit the stage.

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 1:46 pm    

Thanks, Clyde.
I hate to be really dumb here (I've mostly used the tuner to get my E and maybe B strings), but do you use/need the calibration, or do you just find where it's in tune and use that setting?
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 6:57 pm    

There is no need to calibrate the tuner. Tune the guitar carefully, in a quiet room. When you are satisfied with the way it sounds, check each string with your tuner. It's possible that none of the readings will be "0" on the tuner. Write down your settings. Now you have your own tuning chart. If you don't want to do that, the Newman chart is pretty close.
Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 7:07 pm    

Thanks, Bill.
You'd think I just started playing last year, but I've been at this on-and-off for nearly 40 years. I simply never needed a tuner, but it's getting more necessary lately.
I presently have a student with a Carter Starter, which came with a video featuring Joe Wright tuning the guitar by ear. Basically, "no beats", but as that doesn't always seem to apply so simply, I need to teach this guy how best to tune. I have an extra CA-30 I may sell him, and I want to help him use it, too.
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 7:58 pm    

I rarely use the calibration funtion, I go with the default 440. I played a theater show once and found I had to go with 442 to be in tune with their keyboard.