| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  It's Easy To Revive Peak Interest In The P.S.G.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 8:24 am    

Successful searches for recordings that provide tempos that restore the youthful vigor and energies that we have experienced, during enthused studies, may offer fresh new ideas, and improved performances. If I choose recordings, such as THE DIXIE CHICKS' "HELLO MR. HEARTACHE", or "DAWN SEARS' "CLOSE UP THE HONKY TONKS", I'm set for rehearsal. I'm curious about all age groups, and their tendencies to remain dedicated to the P.S.G., at all levels.

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 14 Nov 2010 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 9:47 am    

There is little doubt that the accepted credence in terms of complacencies has become matter-of-fact. I'm a bit more concerned about the disregard for real country music of late.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 10:20 am    

Nothing to be concerned about, Bill. New media and technologies assure the survival of older, less trendy artforms. There are satellite radio stations that broadcast nothing but traditional country music, and internet stations like SteelRadio and Janice's Bus of Real Country that keep steel-oriented country music alive.

I remind myself that what we call "real country" was in fact only popular for 30 years or so. The steel guitar in that music touched our hearts, making an indelible impression. The pedal steel sound today touches the hearts of younger people in different musical styles. Some will search for the roots of that sound, and others will simply grasp the newer sound and run with it.

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 10:47 am    

If you want to draw attention and fame to the Steel Guitar, go play it nude on the White House lawn. Winking
Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 11:15 am    

FWIW, the soundtrack CD for the upcoming "Country Strong" movie contains many "more-traditional country" songs than what I've heard on the radio in a long while. Steel players include Dan Dugmore, Steve Hinson, Paul Franklin, Mike Johnson, Russ Pahl. I'm hoping the movie makes the resurgence of more-traditional country happen.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 11:21 am    

Alan,

You are traditionist, to be sure. I feel sure that no person would come forward and reject such a comment as inaccurate. Certainly not like the little Dutch boy with his thumb in the small aperture that created a drip of the retaining wall. I mean by that, that bob had written one of the most logical responses that I've read all morning, and early afternoon, and it appears that you've made light of it. Perhaps not, checking the time sequences would rule out any deliberste ostentatious ridiculing of a conceptual commentary. I would enjoy more of the common sense, at least from my point of view, that is contained in b0b's brief reply.
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 12:00 pm    

We are the steel players that need to promote steel guitar,Yes Bill- you and me. If you can get out there and play,join a band,do it.I think more can be done on a local level,than nationally. Type of music is not a factor,Old ,new,jazz what ever,just let people get to hear and see you. Joe
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 12:01 pm    

b0b,

I enjoyed your response that seemed to me, to be right on track with the various changes that are taking place, as the pressure to yield to new country, or become trashed or stampeded over by a new rush of energies attempting to lay aside prematurely a traditional and meaningful source of entertainment. Any attempts to commingle old country with the new have failed to a great extent, as observed from my standpoint. I do not wish to experience the tar and feathering for standing up to be counted, or receive the bizarre treatments that early settlers in this land endured, not that far back in history. This pressure surge to crowd out a
tradition, may have turned out to be a much larger ambitious pursuit, than first anticipated. I'm satisfied that even with modern technologies, the recoiling of the whip has lashed out to add credence
to these comments. Recent studies of uniform consistencies in the latest award shows, have shown a strengthening of these suggested views.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 12:39 pm    

Joe,

Sadly, not every player of the P.S.G. has the ability to follow through on your very good advice. There will always be a few who are unable to remain in the group of proponents who contribute the most, by adhering to your urging to try to keep up with the demands that have become more critical. Many great P.S.G. performances can be viewed through modern technologies. There isn't a ghost of a chance that they will be lost, due to the amazing wonders of electronics. Who would believe that performances by the famous deceased experts, are easily attainable, in just a few minutes of preparation. This reality has been a real boon, by viewing how the experts have contributed their talents.
Leslie Ehrlich

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 1:46 pm    

Does it have to be country music to revive peak interest in PSG? Rolling Eyes

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 2:53 pm    

Leslie,

I'll repeat Chet's comment that he made to the Springield Symphony Orchestra when they questioned him about his ability to read music. He responded by saying: "Not enough to hurt my playing." I feel the same about many forms of written music. I explained what turns me on in this thread's beginning. Catchy melodies unrelated to country music are fun to play. Taking them to a country audience could interfere with overall acceptances within the three major parties who provide your employment; the establishment, band, and audience. Causing displeasure within any of the three parties could find a player seeking employment somewhere down the road.
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 3:01 pm    

Leslie Ehrlich wrote:

Leslie, NO! That is one of the set backs that the steel guitar has. Thinking that all a steel guitar is, is a country music insterment.And thinking it's playing the wrong roll in the new country or todays country music. Joe
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 3:41 pm    

Quote:
The steel guitar in that music touched our hearts, making an indelible impression.

b0b, no pun intended? Laughing
Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 5:43 pm    

Bill Hankey wrote:
You are traditionist, to be sure...

Well if you take account of the fact that I play mediaeval music on the lute and cittern, that's about as traditional as you can get, even if a bit out-of-date. But if you heard my steel playing you would think I was far from being a traditionalist. In fact I come from a long line of nonconformists. Very Happy

As Bobby Lee inferred, no musical style ever really dies, styles just recede into the background and come back again, and the same goes for musical instruments. I would hazard a guess that there are more people playing the steel guitar now than at any time during its history. There are certainly more people playing the lute now than any time in its history, even though it's not in the forefront of popular culture.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 5:52 am    

Alan,

Everyone is concerned with credibility, as well as they should be. Arguments (bitter and unpleasant) flare up when imbalances of knowledge pertaining to subject matters that have not been resolved satisfactorily, come to a head of steam. One unfair comment carelessly voiced in the presence of an eschewer of heated debates, for unexplained reasons, explode into a verbal free-for-all. Various preferences related to in music, musical instruments, and players, can become launch pads for intense disagreements. A very knowledgeable person in many instances, will move quickly to end a disputatious person's desire to fuel a discussion, by walking away, or simply refusing to comment. The intermingling of experienced individuals with unlearned, or insensitive behind the times entities, is much too common in musical gatherings.

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 15 Nov 2010 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 7:51 am    

All this is very well, but the topic of the conversation is "It's Easy to Revive Peak Interest in the P.S.G." and I haven't heard any suggestions yet as to how to do it...

My comment about playing naked on the White House lawn may have been facetious, and, obviously, you wouldn't get past the security guards, but it does make a point; that you need to do something that will make news headlines, something that will get you invited onto the chat shows. Talent alone isn't going to do it. To revive interest you need to bring the PSG into the headlines. How about a movie where a serial killer is traced to the tour schedule of a band, and the killer is the pedal steel player ? Whoa!
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 8:40 am    

Alan,

I've had special training in dealing with attack dog mentalities. As if to infer that you may not have noticed, I personally am sponsoring the 25th "MASSBASH" here in Western Massachusetts on May 1st, 2011, at Pittsfield's Itam Lodge, on the shoreline of Pontoosuc Lake. You speak of revivals. I can't think of at the moment a more effective plan to alert the public that there are significant numbers of skilled professionals involved in promoting the Pedal Steel Guitar.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 8:40 am    

Robert Randolph sharing the stage with Lady Gaga would do it. Instead, he tours with old fogies like Eric Clapton. No accounting for taste. Razz

Alexandria, Virginia
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 9:57 am    

Initially, my interest was piqued by the topic descriptor on this thread, but after perusal of the entries, I have become less and less enthralled by its discursive progression. I bid you adieu.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 12:01 pm    

Richard,

I was twice explicit in finding my bearings within the multiples of options available to serious steel guitar enthusiasts. A bona fide steel guitar enthusiast from my point of view, would rarely squander what could be the best opportunity to delve into the principles of sharing musical techniques by others. Attempting to exclude a worthy thread by openly deeming that in your opinion, it contains discursive progressions; is challenging. I promise to pique my interest by scanning your 75 posts entered since becoming a member. Giving you the benefit of doubt, I must reserve the right to decipher your brand of logic.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 12:22 pm    

Richard,

I scanned your first page of the review section. After I read your two quotes in regard to a student model Sho-Bud, I thought to myself, who's kidding who? I returned to the current activities after reading a quote of $50.00, and another of $900.00 + dollars. I bid you adieu.
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 12:41 pm    

DRIFTING AND DREAMING!Reading Bill,s posts reminds me of that song Laughing
Richard Park

Alexandria, Virginia
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 12:54 pm    

Relax, Bill. I'm just joking. Is that allowed?
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 1:04 pm    

Joe Miraglia wrote:
Leslie Ehrlich wrote:

Leslie, NO! That is one of the set backs that the steel guitar has. Thinking that all a steel guitar is, is a country music insterment.And thinking it's playing the wrong roll in the new country or todays country music. Joe

I could not agree more. It's not a country instrument, it's just an instrument, period. Country is just one of the many kinds of music that it can play.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 1:38 pm    

Richard,

I really enjoy your flexural and intellectual stances when making a point. The impact of getting tossed aside shook the rafters. The loss of the ability to promote interesting responses, could deprive a person of the will to carry on. I'm pleased to learn that you were "kidding". Thanks for the responses.