| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PSGA's Steel Show
Michael J Pfeifer

New York NY 10036
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 5:52 am    

Hi Pickers,

Playing the show for the first time, you can imagine how nervous I was. The band did a great job, as did the other steel players. Maybe, I didn't play so well, because the audience and some of the other steel players didn't seem to like my performance. Oh well, that's life.
Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 6:22 am    

Michael, I thought you sounded great. If I remember correctly you were playing a GFI. I look forward to seeing you play again in the future.
Michael J Pfeifer

New York NY 10036
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 9:16 am    

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the compliment. I was playing a GFI. You are one of the few who likes my playing. LOL! Thanks again.
Bob Maickel

Floral Park, NY
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 1:22 pm     First time jitters

Michael you provided us with a good presentation of Show Tunes material. I know you were a bit nervous, we all are when we play in front of a large audience of mostly steel guitar players. And we all experience what you felt. You are on track to become a very fine steel guitarist,take any negative sounding comments as just a part of the world of steel. Think positively and keep up your playing.

On the way home from CT this morning we went through a heavy sleet storm on I-95 and we are still having wind gusts of 40 mph. Sure glad we did not have that over the weekend. The show was a musical success. Thanks to all who participated and attended. We announced several confirmed players for next year's show including Russ Hicks, Robby Turner and Herby Wallace.
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 3:31 pm     Sam

Hey Mike glad you got to play at the PSGA in Norwalk CT. That is a feather in your hat. Now some people will know what they missed on a Steel Show you were going to be in but there was a Problem.Congratulations on getting to play in one of the oldest Steel Guitar Show in the USA and with all the pros from around the country..If you feel you want to take a trip down to North Carolina you are more than welcome to come to my Steel Guitar Jam March 19th.
Your Friend
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
Michael J Pfeifer

New York NY 10036
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 4:26 pm    

Thanks Bob. Thanks Sam, I may take you up on your offer because I have cousins in Virginia & South Carolina. Thanks again fellas
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 4:58 am    

Michael, I too enjoyed your performance, you played some really great songs and did just fine with them.

Being one of the first on Saturday is always hard, everyone is just arriving and most peoples blood is'nt flowing yet, so you have that extra challenge untill everyone loosens up.

Keep us posted on where you are playing locally, I would like to see you play again.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 4:59 am    

Michael, I too enjoyed your performance, you played some really great songs and did just fine with them.

Being one of the first on Saturday is always hard, everyone is just arriving and ost peoples blood is flowing yet, so you have that extra challenge untill everyone loosens up.

Keep us posted on where you are playing locally, I would like to see you play again.

Ed Iarusso

East Haddam, CT US of A
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 5:53 am    

I just wanted to thank the PSGA for inviting me and the Shinolas to preform Sunday. The guys had a great time and enjoyed the other steel players they had a chance to listen to. Jimbo, I had to leave a few songs into your set but you were terrific as usual. I especially like your choice of material that is outside the scope of what is usually played at these events. I appreciate anyone who tries to expand the boundaries of steel guitar in all types of music. Well done Jimbo
Michael J Pfeifer

New York NY 10036
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 6:06 am    

Thanks Craig. I appreciate it. You can catch me at a bluegrass jam tomorrow,Wed.,10pm,at The Grisly Pear,107 MacDougal St.,NYC. No cover
Michael J Pfeifer

New York NY 10036
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 6:07 am    

Hi Ed,

Sorry, I don't know Jimbo.
Ed Iarusso

East Haddam, CT US of A
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 7:17 am    

Michael, I'm referring to Jim Cohen, or as he's affectionately known to some as Jimbo.
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 8:30 am    

Or Jimbeaux.

Ed, Your set was also a highlight for me, great band, great songs and great playing, especially liked the Robbie Fulks song, 'Warmth of the Sun' and the Original you guys had. Just wish you played here in NJ.

I was also impressed with Roger Trayhan, he was smooth as silk and also had some great song selections too.

The great thing about the show is getting to see the local guys as well as the pros, Jimbo, I consider you in the pro department, would like to see you play The Blue Note or Iridium some day and show them how Jazz is done, bring the other Jim (Loessberg) with you also.

What a great weekend!!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 9:09 am    

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the nice words. Ed's set was also a real highlight for me. "Warmth of the Sun" really perked up my ears, as did "Yes It Is" by the Beatles. Great choices, wonderfully played, as was the rest of the set; very refreshing.

Craig, I'd love to land a gig at a "legit" jazz club sometime. To do that, I think I'd need to have an all-jazz CD as a 'calling card'. I'm hoping to record that within the coming year.

Thanks again,
Jimbeaux

p.s. Michael, I'm sorry I missed your set and didn't have a chance to meet you.
Michael J Pfeifer

New York NY 10036
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 10:18 am    

Same here Jim. Maybe next year.
Ed Iarusso

East Haddam, CT US of A
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 10:57 am    

Thanks Jim. Much appreciated.
Ed Iarusso

East Haddam, CT US of A
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 10:57 am    

Thanks Jim. Much appreciated.