| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  If This Don't Frost Your.........
Larry King

Watts, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2005 6:56 am    

Here in Northeast Oklahoma we've had a great radio station in Vinita, KITO...owned by a wonderful guy, Dave Boyd. Dave is in a class with Bill Mack, Billy Parker, Cottonseed Clark (out west)....a man who was willing to play an "Indy" label song/artist just to give the singer a chance.

KITO sold recently and the D J's apparently wouldn't know a country song, if it french kissed 'em....so, cut to the chase, I'm listening yesterday and one of the young guys plays Connie Smith's "Once A Day". When the song ended, he said, "Hmmm, that was a pretty good song, one I've never heard before".

I'm sure he knows all about Bon Jovi and the Van Sants, you know, the new "country" music artists. So, it's the end of an era. They still play country but have no idea what they're playing. Are any of you guys having this experience in your areas?
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2005 7:12 am    

That's probably fairly common (now with those that don't know country).

I have a friend (a great country bass picker and singer) who was a DJ on WIRE (AM) in Indianapolis. It changed formats from Country to pop and he worked for a short period "before he got fired" with the new format. He had no idea about the pop music but fortunately his wife did and she helped him do his programming (that was back when the DJ's mostly did their own thing on shows).
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2005 7:23 am    

Well, at least he's playing it!
Ronald Moore

Mindoro, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2005 7:53 am    

At the International Steel Guitar Convention not too long ago, the late Jeff Newman told a story of a DJ who was playing Jim and Jesse tunes and George Jones tunes and referred to it as "Alternative Country" Jeff asked if anyone dared go up to George Jones and say "I like your Alternative Country" Jeff figured that George would probably deck a person who did that. Ron
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2005 8:16 am    

Hey Larry, Just keep playing the good old stuff, and let them "discover" you, You'll kick off a whole new career!
Larry Hamilton

Amarillo,Tx
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2005 9:38 am    

Here in Amarillo, AM station KDJW, a "real classic" country station, was just bought by a relious organization. Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with religous radio, but I just don't think they are going to be playing "Pop a Top", "There Stands the Glass" "Tight Fittin Jeans" or any of the other good old tunes.

------------------
Keep pickin', Larry
Larry King

Watts, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2005 9:51 am    

Larry H........Pop A Top and There Stands The Glass...two out of three ain't bad. Not a direct comparison, BUT, two of the theaters in Branson are now Churches, Mel Tillis' being one of them.
Larry W. Jones

Longmont, Colorado
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2005 9:55 am    

Here's an internet station with lots of steelin'. "Ralphie's Radio" Red hot Western Swing from the '30s and '40s!
http://www.live365.com/stations/hoolster
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2005 11:04 am    

"Once a Day, Everyday, All Day Long" That is my favorite song by Connie Smith. I think Welden Myrick was recording with Connie back then?

We have a two "alledged country stations" here in Lake Charles that have the same problem. Let's face it, the record industries dictate what the stations play. In order to have the market capability of reaching the younger generation, the music had to change to what they are willing to listen to. Certainly the lyrics and music styles are nowhere near the material that was produced in the "golden era" of classic country. With many artists of today there has to be a "gimmick" of sorts to attract listeners. Producers get as much exposure as possible to see if it sells regardless of whether or not the lyrics make any sense or if they just rhyme! (Turn on the radio to today's country and you will see what I mean.)

Then come the "copycats" following the same type of "gimmick" in an attempt to make thier fair share as well. The real tragedy here is that many of the artists are not recognized for thier true talent and ability, simply what will sell, and some who have very "minimal" talent get a great deal of exposure because of the "Gimmick" that is employed. Many of the artists have very little if any input of thier type of music, session musicians, or promotions. It is the times that we live where only a few control the entire market.

That being said, one of the stations here plays "classic country" from 12:30-1:00pm daily after Paul Harvey and hosts Rick Jackson's show from 6-9pm on Sundays. Other than that, there is no classic country here. We are fortunate however to be able to receive classic country from 97.1 FM out of Houston very clearly. Thier entire program is classic country and on thier site www.countrylegends971.com. Thier signal carries a fair distance.
Dave

[This message was edited by David Higginbotham on 31 December 2005 at 11:05 AM.]

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2005 11:35 am    

"Alternative country" is the alternative to what passes for country on the top 40 stations today.

This topic isn't about an Event or an Announcement so I've moved it to the "Music" section.

------------------
Bobby Lee
-b0b- quasar@b0b.com
System Administrator
My Blog

[This message was edited by b0b on 31 December 2005 at 11:35 AM.]