| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  nashville 400 mods --
Ken Karn

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2010 4:55 pm    

Hey all,
There have been several mod's and mod kits mentioned and/ or discussed here.

I have a 400 now (stock)and wonder how to get a
summary of them.
For instance I recall one that made the reverb more "Fender-y".

Thanx for anything folks!
Ken
Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 17 Oct 2010 4:18 am    

You might want to check this out:
http://foxvintageamps.com/classic_green_004.htm
Johnny Thomasson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2010 9:35 am    

Ken Fox's "Intensive Mod" is top of the line mod for NV400s. The link above provides info on that one. It includes a mod to the reverb, which is most likely the one you refer to as making it more "Fendery".

Then there is the LeMay mod. I've heard it's good too, but I don't know what all it entails. He has a website; you could Google "LeMay Mod" and most likely find it.

There also is the Peavey factory mod. All NV400s manufactured after a certain date already have this mod. Peavey's web site gives the specific serial number where this change was broken in to production; all subsequent amps have it. It basically improves the bass response; it does nothing for the reverb.

Ken Fox also has a chip upgrade kit that you can install yourself. My NV400 has the factory mod, and I ordered and installed Ken's chip upgrade kit. The amp sounded good before, but the upgrade chips made a huge improvement. All I can say is that it has a much smoother, richer tone than before, and seems more responsive.

When my piggy bank gets heavy enough, I intend to ship my NV400 chassis to Ken and have him do his Intensive Mod. Eventually, I intend to have him go through my '76 Session 400 and '65 Twin as well. Ken is da man when it comes to getting the most out of vintage amps.

Hope this helps.

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2010 3:25 pm    

I own 3 Fox-Modded amps, one of which is a NV400 that now has his Fox-Mod, and the new Burr Brown Chips...All i can say is...: Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2010 7:05 pm     Nashville 400 mod kit

Ken, our factory techs can install the Peavey Mod Kit in about an hour. Call me for the cost, but check our website at www.peavey.com for details, or just call me.
Curt Langston

Post  Posted 20 Oct 2010 5:37 am    

The mods DO make a huge difference in tone to me. My N400 has the BB chips and it does sound better!

Last edited by Curt Langston on 19 Nov 2010 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roger Hurst

Independence, MO, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2010 2:33 pm    

I have 2 NV-400's, both with the Fox Mods. What an unbelievable improvement in the sound. Ken Fox is a genius when it comes to hopping up a Peavey and he'll get it back to you really fast.

I've never played anywhere that several people didn't come up and say my tone was awesome. I turn the reverb completely off and use an RV-3 stomp box like a lot of guys are doing now and leaving their rack units in the closet. Doesn't hurt my tone that I'm playing a Zumsteel either.