| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why Would You Want a Split Tuner on 4th String?
Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2010 8:59 pm    

this new/used Mullen I just got has one, I can't figger out what good it is.
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2010 9:43 pm    

Never heard of that either. Maybe a compensator for diminished chords with BC and E lowers? I dunno. What crossbar is it attached to?

Clete
Hans Holzherr

Münchenbuchsee, Switzerland
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2010 9:47 pm    

I can only conjecture that the former owner used the C pedal in combination with the E to D# lever to make an open Aaug chord with B + C + E to D#.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2010 1:55 am    

I play the song "Harlem Nocturne" in which I use the C pedal and then lower the4 string with the E-Eb lever. The same chord can be made with the E-F raise, but this way sounds a lot smoother.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2010 2:08 am    

Bingo Hanz. I do exactly that for a dominant +5 chord that i use all the time. In C, this is at the second fret:

2-F
3-B
4-G
5-D#
6-B

8-F

Of course, I could get these notes by half-pedaling A at the 3rd fret and using 9 instead of 8 to get the seventh (F) in the bass). But this grip allows me to resolve town to C6 at the first fret very nicely.

The E on the 9th string and Gb on the seventh string
provide some useful chromatic melodic notes to play with here.

Dan
bill dearmore

Belton,Tx.,USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2010 10:29 am    

That's a great chord for the 4th change in "Night Life"(in "D")Eb9-5....B+C pedal and lower the E's over that. Strings 10,8,6,5,4...4th fret.
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2010 11:57 am    

Tim Heidner said,

Quote:
Why would you split the 4th string, this new/used Mullen I just got has one, I can't figger out what good it is.

Consider the following:

On my D-10, I do not have a D as the 9th string. Rather I have a B note and then my 10th string is a G#. This allows me to strum a full B6th tuning all the way across.

Now on RKR, I lower the 2nd string a whole tone (standard set up), but I lower the 8th string a whole tone to D. I got so used to this change on my universal that I am lost without it on my D-10.

Now, when the E's are lowered, I have a B6 tuning (standard setup) without that pesky D on the 9th strng. AND I want to raise the 4th string back up to E; and lower the 8th string on down to a D; but NOT let go of the E to Eb lever. For this is the way I do it (again), on my universal.

The only way I can achieve this, without letting go of the E to Eb lever (which I do NOT want to do), is to split that lowered E to Eb by raising E to F on RKR.

And I tune that F NOT to be an F but to be IN tune when it is raised back up to an E note WHEN split with the E to Eb lever.

Strangely enough this gives me something I had not planned on: The F it produces, when it is raised by itself is MORE in tune as a 7th chord, than my normal E to F lever. This was a suprise bonus and I love it.

Hope that makes sense dear person,

c.

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2010 1:44 pm    

C Dixon wrote:

Now, when the E's are lowered, I have a B6 tuning (standard setup) without that pesky D on the 9th strng. AND I want to raise the 4th string back up to E; and lower the 8th string on down to a D; but NOT let go of the E to Eb lever.

Carl, I DO release the E-Eb change, which is on my LKR, and kick in the RKR that lowers my 8th string down to D. (It also raises my 2nd string, which I tune to C#, to D, so the 2nd and 8th strings are in tune with each other.) (I raise the 2nd string to D# on one of my 2 RKLs.)

This not only gives me the B6 "C" pedal, which, being on a knee lever, allows me to keep my right foot on the volume pedal at all times, but also produces all the chords that are available in the E9 that use the D note in one way or another.
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2010 5:02 pm    

Quote:
Carl, I DO release the E-Eb change, which is on my LKR, and kick in the RKR that lowers my 8th string down to D. (It also raises my 2nd string, which I tune to C#, to D, so the 2nd and 8th strings are in tune with each other.) (I raise the 2nd string to D# on one of my 2 RKLs)

Yes Mike, I have known that for years. I wanted that too, but you can not do that when you have a LOK lever. Even though I do not use the LOK lever that much, I do use it occassionally, and thus the reason for my last post.

Thanks for responding dear friend,

c.