| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  9th string raise
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 1:45 pm    

Been thinking about raising my ninth string for a while now (e9, raise to E probably). I've never heard of anyone having it but I would think it could be very useful. Any of you guys have it? On what lever? -Brett
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 1:49 pm    

I like that pull (up to D#), and it's on my alternate LKL along with raising the high F# to G and G#. The pull on string 9 provides a feel stop at G on the F# string raise.
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 2:20 pm    

I had it many years ago. Still love it if I played a D-10.

Try this some time:

Put it on the E to Eb lever. Why?

1. It allows a bottom strings strum without the pesky D note messin' it up.

2. It allows a 7th run that resolves over many frets; alternating the 6th, minor6th and 7th voicings on strings 5, 6 and 9.

For example: You are playing a 7th chord on those strings in the Key of G at the 3rd fret. Now move up 3 frets and engage the lever and listen to the IN chord (G) resolve. Move up two more frets, you are still in G. And IF you lower your 9th string to C#, AND you incorporate that using the same 3 strings, You have loads of possiblilies, that ya never had before.

You can even fool around with resolves using combinations of the A and B pedal and this knee lever.

Now IF you lower the 6th string to F#, ya got even more resolves with the above.

Sure, you can get these voicings by alternating strings 8 and 9 with the thumb. BUT....sometimes a resolve means more that the notes themselves.

Try it! UNLESS....you NEED the D note when engaging that lever. Some do, some don't. I don't, so I would have it, IF I played a D-10. I don't. But I have ALL those combinations on me S-12.

In fact, that is one of the reasons I love the Universal soo much.

Oops, back to you. Sorry bout that. Embarassed Ya don't even have to buy another bellcrank. 'Jes use the one on string 8 and add a rod on the 9th string. Ya might have to bend it. But if you look under many PSG's you are liable to find a whole bunch of bent rods. Crying or Very sad

If'n ya don' lack it, take that sapsucker off there and call me whatevah! No worries, it's been done many times. Very Happy

c.

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 2:32 pm    

D# was my first thought, but now I'm thinking E would be nice so I could get a smoother resolution in most positions without having to pick a new string. When I find the time, I'm going to try it on the V lever. Not sure if it will be great with the B's going down, but I already have the hardware under there to at least try it out. Thanks for sharing EB, you've obviously put a lot of thought into your copedents.
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 2:48 pm    

You make a good case too CD. I do like the chromatic thing a lot though...
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2010 2:58 pm    

Some guys raise D to D# on the lever that raises E to F. That lets you play 5 consecutive notes of the diatonic scale just like you can an octave higher.
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2010 5:53 am    

I have it on a zero pedal on Extended E9 that also lowers the low E-C# on string 12. It makes a great C#min 11!
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2010 3:38 pm    

My 9th. string is open C# raise to D on RKR.,tuned to E9th.12 string extended. The D note is there when I want it Cool , I just use the knee lever. Joe
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2010 7:21 pm    

Earnest Bovine wrote:
Some guys raise D to D# on the lever that raises E to F. That lets you play 5 consecutive notes of the diatonic scale just like you can an octave higher.

Yeah, but you lose the diminished chord.

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2010 7:51 am    

Bob, I pull the 9th string D to Eb with the E's to F kl..If you engage the D to C# kl at same time it cancels out..Not quite in tune,but acceptable for a diminished chord !! JS
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2010 8:10 am    

b0b wrote:
Earnest Bovine wrote:

Yeah, but you lose the diminished chord.

Yeah, raising D to D# on that lever along with E to E# means you can't play D and E# together. On my temperament that is not very useful anyway (very very narrow minor 3rd) but it is one reason that I don't raise D to D# that way.
You lose other combinations too such as C# on 9th string with E# on 8th string which I use a lot.
John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2010 2:09 pm    

Earnest wrote "You lose other combinations too such as C# on 9th string with E# on 8th string which I use a lot.".....When do use that combination? I tried it but couldn't see where "I" would use it instead of C# on 10th string and F on 8TH..JS
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2010 2:15 pm    

Quote:
My 9th. string is open C# raise to D on RKR

Me too, and RKR drops the 2nd string D# to D, so I think of it as my dominant7 lever. C# on the 9th string opens up a lot of low string runs.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2010 10:32 pm    

John Swain wrote:
Earnest wrote "You lose other combinations too such as C# on 9th string with E# on 8th string which I use a lot.".....When do use that combination? I tried it but couldn't see where "I" would use it instead of C# on 10th string and F on 8TH..JS

Sometimes it it nice to play a C#7 (or C#7+5) with both the root (string 9) and the 7th (string 5 or 10).
Peter Nylund

Finland
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2010 1:33 am    

I've had the ninth string raise for quite a while on a pedal along with some other strange changes. Unfortunately I don't have any fancy names for what they do.
Peter

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2010 11:33 am     Try lowering string 9 instead

I now lower string 9 to C# with the E lever, gets rid of that clammy note in an E lever B6 chord. Adds a 9th to it. Haven't found very many big problems elsewhere in doing so, and makes that 6th chord form neck-strummable.

Works great for me, anyone have reasons why that's not a great idea?
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2010 12:01 pm     Re: Try lowering string 9 instead

John McClung wrote:
I now lower string 9 to C# with the E lever, gets rid of that clammy note in an E lever B6 chord. Adds a 9th to it. Haven't found very many big problems elsewhere in doing so, and makes that 6th chord form neck-strummable.

The disadvantage is that it makes the lever harder to push. I usually assign the 9th string lower to a lever that can be used with the 8th string lower when needed. That way I also get the C# to E interval when I want it, and I don't have a redundant pull rod.

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2010 12:09 pm     Re: Try lowering string 9 instead

John McClung wrote:

John I have absolutely NO problem with it, but you are in all likely-hood, going to get some problems from players' concerns.

Remember this John, that D note on the 9th string was there LONG before pedals were even a gleem in anyone's eyes. It was part and parcel of the old original E13th tuning without the 8th string E note. And once people get used to something, it is human nature for most, NEVER to want to let it go. It is how we humans mostly are.

So what happens is this:

When the E lever (lowers the E's to Eb) came along, players found ways of utilizing notes that would otherwise tend to clash. Such is the case of intervals only a half step apart.

As stated earlier, I raise the 9th string to a D# with the E lever. I like this because it permits me to strum, and you do not hear both unison notes. It sounds like one note unless you strum real slowly.

Also, If I want the D note when the E's are lowered, I simply lower the 9th string to a C# and split the raised D# note back to a D. And make use of the "splitting" feature on my Emmons to bring it in tune.

c.