| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Weighty Question about Single Necks
Paul Crawford

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2010 6:18 pm    

I've finally reached the Bad Back Limit with my guitar. I love my D-10s and would never let go of them, but my back is demanding a lighter load for lighter gigs.

I've bit the bullet and let one of my favorites move on to her next owner so I'm in the mood for .... What?

The trouble with loving vintage music and vintage tone is you usually end up with a vintage instrument. If weight were no issue I think I'd go for that LDG I've wanted for the last 10 years. But just as a guess, that wouldn't save my back much work. Are there any Buds out there that could be considered light?

Since this is a worker, reliability and capability to move around without having retune all the knees and pedals are also considerations. I've played a MSA that I liked but it just might outweight my D-10.

I'm ready to change pick ups if I need to, (I've got an Alumitone in a Zum that I love.) I'd like to find a S-10 or even better a lightweight SD-10 that I could comp a vintage tone with.

I'm certain that others have gone through this exercise lately so I'd like a few suggestions. I've heard Mike say he loves his Stage One. I haven't heard much lately about the newer Carters but a while back a lot of your were comparing them with a P/P tone. I'd like to know how they hold up moving around a bit. There are several smaller builders that have entered the market since I last went shopping and I'm sure each have its own fans.

So I'd like to hear from those that love their lightweights. If you're a Bud owner that thinks there is enough difference in weight between it and a D-10 P/P please tell me about it.

I'd also appreciate a PM from anyone that has found one they weren't so happy with. Always good to hear from both sides.

I appreciate it guys.
Bob Vantine

Freeville, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2010 10:30 pm    

Paul...

PM sent.

****Bob V****
Peavey Guitars
Rick Winfield

Pickin' beneath the Palmettos
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 12:24 am     Carter 3x5

I own a 2008 Carter.
Don't have the experience to compare it to a "Bud",or P/P, but I've got the weight for you.
S-10 is 27 lbs, 43 in the case
S10DB is 5 lbs more !
Pretty light, and to me, it's got great tone with,
GeorgeL's SS.
Always stays in tune, doesn't break strings, light pedal and lever action, easily adjustable.
Hope you find what you need
Rick
Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 4:55 am    

I used to have a S-10 PP. Don't remember the exact weight, but it was light.
I flew with it once, and the guitar and volume pedal in the case was under the 50 lbs. weight limit.

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 5:09 am    

I can put my Carter or PP Universal's in a Hatton split case and it is ridiculously light..

The best way out of that is of course... is exercise, a few sit ups and push ups go a long way.
I do enough to make me back not hurt and then of course stop until it goes out again.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 5:56 am    

My wife's GFI Expo S-10 is 43 lbs in the case and the case probably weighs as much as the guitar.
Stephen Wells

Jackson, Mississippi
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 6:06 am    

I have two artificial hips a bad back and a new GFI Ultra S10. No problem at all to carry, sounds great and plays smooth as silk. Oh and, Bobbe Seymour has these at a great price and super fast availability.
Stephen
john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 6:16 am     Bud

I think If I wanted a lighter (and better IMHO) guitar in the Sho bud aesthetic, I would take a serious look at Jeff Surratt's Show Pro line. Not as light as some, but very reasonable weight, with a big tone dividend. In the end you have to love playing what you get.
widcj@hotmail.com
Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 6:39 am    

You're not far from me. Come on over and try my U12 Williams. It's 33 pounds if I remember correctly. Larry
Bob Vantine

Freeville, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 7:04 am    

Paul...
Take Larry up on his offer Exclamation

Cool He and I were in a band together for years ,and he's always had EXCELLENT taste in guitars.Not only the equipment, but he's a fine player. Cool

I'm getting back into steel now because he's in Florida ,so I'm not stuck playing 6 string. Winking

And his first steel (ShoBud Maverick)was my first steel(Dec 1977).

*I could also tell you he was my 6 string hero when I was a teen,but that was a long,long,long time ago ....so I won't go there * Laughing

****Bob V****
Peavey Guitars
Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 7:50 am    

IF you want a vintage Bud look at the Pro I or 6139, which appears to be the same guitar without the Pro I decal. They are light weight and sound good. If they need parts They are readily available from John Coop and James Morehead. There were a couple on the forum recently that were restored that listed in the $1400 to $2000 range. IMHO they are not overly difficult to work on if that is an issue.

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 8:55 am    

How's about this 'un?
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=192899
Thom Ferman

Las Vegas, NV, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 9:37 am    

Double ditto to what Stephen said. I recently picked up a lightly used GFI Ultra S10 on sleazeBay for $1300. Fellow Forumite Jim Sliff also has an Ultra and mentioned the GFI II p/u's sound very close to the old Fender Jazzmaster style p/u's on the Fender 400/1000 guitars. I also have a Fender 400 and feel there's definitely a similar vintage sound to the GFI II p/u. At 26 lbs. out of the case your back will thank you!
Matthew Warman

here and now
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 10:05 am    

Paul- I just received my Stage One (in Teak) it's light, plays great, and is something you might want to look into. Doug is one very friendly and helpful guy to deal with too.
http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com/home
Julian Goldwhite

Alhambra, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 10:55 am    

Hi Paul,

You might also look into the Jackson Blackjack or Edge - it definitely has some of the Sho-Bud mojo. Made by the progeny of the Sho part of Sho-Bud (Shot Jackson), the Edge Ultralight weighs in at 19 lbs!

All the best,

Julian
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 11:50 am    

If weight is your major concern, the MSA Millennium is one of the lightest, possibly THE guitar on the market. But if you want that classic Sho-Bud tone, you should get a Jackson.

There are a lot of excellent light weight guitars available today. Perhaps the best thing you should do is go to the convention or the show in Dallas and try put several different ones and see which one you prefer.
Paul Crawford

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 1:05 pm    

All Right! That's why this place is so great. Lots of things to follow up on.

Larry: I really appreciate the offer but you don't have to sell me on a Williams. Wally has played one for years and still loves it. Actually, he's the one that got me thinking. I may come over anyway just for good time. Wink

I've been spending a bit of quality time out at the Jackson website. No doubt they're the real deal. They are so pretty I'd almost hate to play it, just sit and look at it all night. Although a 'Bud has long intrigued me, it's not really a requirement. I need to go find one of those and try the different scale length and string spacing from my old Emmons. I really have no idea if the different feel would make that much difference to me or not. But I intend to find out.

How are the GFIs holding up throwing them in the back of the truck? I've piddled with one at the shows and they do have a nice tone and qualify as a lightweight. That was long before I got this far along looking and I just kind of assumed the lightweight guitars might not hold tune bouncing between dance halls. I guess I got to rethink that.

Well, please keep any ideas coming this way. Looking at all the web sites make them all look great. But it's you guys that take them out, gig them, and know if it's a Ferrari or a tank.

I do have to admit I'm having fun looking. Embarassed
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 1:06 pm    

You might also check out Chuck Back's Desert Rose - super guitar and very light.

Old Chelsea Quebec Canada
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 2:44 pm    

I have a Williams SD10 that ways 52lbs in the case. I lightened it up a bit more by changing the standard legs for the lighter aircraft aluminum ones. IMHO They work great,look awesome,and have great tone. Service for Bill Rudolff is outstsnding. Skip and Jack can attest to the tone. There is a multitude of choices for you to consider. Have fun choosing !!!!
I crossed paths with Ed Ringwall (Pee Wee Charles) this summer and he was sporting a new Sho Pro . Lord Lord!!! What tone !
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 5:30 pm    

Another vote for the ShoBud Pro I or 6139 with a few levers added to taste. Not too expensive, around 50lbs in the case with VP. Good looking, fabulous sounding, fast, light and cheap, I'm keeping mine....
John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2010 6:02 am    

Paul,I was thinking about this last year!I was going to buy a lite-weight single neck instead of taking my Carter D10 to rehearsals and gigs..Probably would spend $1500-2000, to have less guitar on the bandstand! I finally decided the weight is only a problem getting to the gig(movement)so I had the lightest split cases made I could find(Dan Bentley)..For a small investment I have a D10 with 8 pedals and 8 kls on stage only carry a 40 lb case(just the body)That's less than a Nashville 112..But I have no limitations on what I can play!See the thread on fiberboard cases running currently for pics.. Just my thoughts..thxJS