| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Teaching Method -- Newman or Adams ? ?
George Crickmore

Myrtle Beach South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2010 9:37 am    

I have a friend that wants to learn pedal steel. I told him the right hand is the first start. I am no teacher so here is the question.

Jeff Newman drills palm blocking while Mickey Adams drills pick blocking. I find my self using both.

Which one would uou guys reccomend that he START OUT with. I learned the Jeff Newman way but Mickey Adams has some great stuff too.

So wich one guys?

Nashville
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2010 3:20 pm    

I had been playing for a few years before i first went through newman's 'right hand alpha' video. I had already settled into pick blocking and wasn't interested in switching to palm blocking.

So, I just learned how to do all the exercises Jeff shows in that video with pick blocking instead of his palm blocking technique. . It took dedication but i got the hang of it, and that video helped me more than any other steel video i've ever watched.
Jeshua Lehman

Ivor, VA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2010 4:11 pm    

I am not the most experienced person, but when I was young a pianist gave me the following advice when I asked about the right finger to use when playing a song. He proceeded to put me behind the piano and play a piece two different ways and asked me which one was right. I was unable to tell the difference; he then pulled me to his side of the piano and showed me the second rendition was played with his knuckles. So the point is I don't believe it matters as long as you get the job done. I personally have been trying to learn a little of each and figure that I will develop my own style by the time I become half as good as either of them.

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2010 4:04 pm    

I would tell him to take a skype lesson with Joe Wright.

gordon hartin
Rick Winfield

Pickin' beneath the Palmettos
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 8:03 am     strat from scratch

I feel that if you're gonna start from scratch, palm blocking is probably easier. If you want to palm block the "correct" way, I would recommend the Newman "Right Hand Alpha". I didn't discover it until I had about 2 years in, and had already developed my own palm blocking method. Now, I have a compromise,with Jeffs method improving mine, but whatever gets the job done.
Rick