| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume pedal suggestions?
John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2010 12:11 pm    

I am looking for a volume pedal for my guitar pedal board that is smaller than a Goodrich but perhaps bigger and definitely more robust than a Boss FV50/FV 500.

Anyone have a good suggestion for me?
Mark Cohen

Calabasas, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2010 12:36 pm     Ernie Ball

I sure do like the feel of my Ernie Ball. Lower and wider than Goodrich

Spain
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2010 2:20 am    

Morley make a small unit for use on a pedalboard. Check item #150501902498 on eBay.

Some of my music here
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2010 2:31 am    

The Carter VP's that are supplied with the Carter Starter kit are compact and seem to be fairly well built.
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2010 3:49 am    

David Nugent wrote:
The Carter VP's that are supplied with the Carter Starter kit are compact and seem to be fairly well built.

I found a volume pedal on their site which I think is the one that comes with the Carter Starter kit:

http://www.steelguitar.com/accessor/accedesc.htm#VolPed

I had passed on the Carter Starters because their non-adjustable legs are too short for me. I see that they are selling 1", 2" and 3" extension kits for $49 which screw onto the ends of the legs and pedal. And hard shell cases for $99.

Steve

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits
Graeme Jaye

Spain
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2010 7:07 am    

Steve Ahola wrote:
I found a volume pedal on their site which I think is the one that comes with the Carter Starter kit

Yes it's the same one. I have one that came with my Carter. The information on their website is a little misleading. It does not have "Multiple inputs & outputs", there is a single input and a single output. If you want to use it with the left foot, then you have to physically re-locate the two jacks to the opposite side.

More importantly, reference the OP's requirements, the pedal is quite low profile, but is still a bit on the large side for a pedal-board.

Some of my music here
John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2010 9:06 am    

Wow, I had just assumed the Carter site would be down now. Thanks for the tips.
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 1:58 am    

Graeme Jaye wrote:
I have one that came with my Carter. The information on their website is a little misleading. It does not have "Multiple inputs & outputs", there is a single input and a single output. If you want to use it with the left foot, then you have to physically re-locate the two jacks to the opposite side.

So does it already have holes on both sides or do you have to get your drill out?

BTW I have the Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Junior mounted to a pedalboard that I made out of thin hardwood plywood with indoor outdoor carpeting on the top and neoprene rubber on the bottom. I wanted it secure but also removable so I drill two small holes in the heel end of the pedal and ran round head screws through the bottom of the pedalboard.

I'll find a cool bag and then cut the wood to fit inside. One of them goes inside a leather IBM ThinkPad case I got for $3.50 at Goodwill. Another one goes inside a smaller laptop bag. And I have a 3rd one that goes in a briefcase. I don't use a lot of pedals so the smaller sizes are okay. Have pedal / Will travel.

Thanks!

Steve

P.S. The Carter site has a lot of content that I have found very helpful so I hope they stick around.

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits
Graeme Jaye

Spain
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 2:16 am    

Steve Ahola wrote:
So does it already have holes on both sides or do you have to get your drill out?

No drill required - the holes are already there.

Some of my music here
Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2010 1:29 pm     Vp

Check out the Telonics VP. It's the best!
BB
john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2010 1:38 pm     Telinics

Telonics...hands down IMHO.
widcj@hotmail.com
Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2010 6:08 pm    

it better be good for $550! Shocked
John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2010 6:23 pm    

The Telonics looks to be about the same size (physically) as a Goodrich, so it doesn't meet the requirements as stated in the original post.

Price wise it is out of the question for me.
Jeshua Lehman

Ivor, VA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2010 7:35 am    

Just like to point out that my carter starter petal has had a slight hum since it was new, and it also is very rough operating. This last week I bought a Hilton and I wouldn't ever have believed the different it is so much smoother operating and clean sounding. Just recognize the carter pedal is a starter pedal and it will be obvious that it is in operation. Nevertheless I have never had any problems with it doing its job; it is a simple design and will work every time you plug it in.
Lehman

Post  Posted 22 Oct 2010 8:14 pm    

The best passive pedal I've ever used, believe it or not, is a Boss FV-300L. It uses a fader instead of a rotary pot and seems to last forever without getting scratchy, and is easily cleanable if it does. It also has two paths, a tuner out and a minimum volume control. It's one heck of a volume pedal.
Graeme Jaye

Spain
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2010 12:59 am    

Duane Reese wrote:
It's one heck of a volume pedal.

It's also a low impedance device. Unless you are using some sort of FX device before the volume controller, I wouldn't have thought it would work too well with psg's (it certainly doesn't with guitars).

Some of my music here
Duane Reese

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2010 7:41 am    

Graeme Jaye wrote:
Duane Reese wrote:
It's one heck of a volume pedal.

It's also a low impedance device. Unless you are using some sort of FX device before the volume controller, I wouldn't have thought it would work too well with psg's (it certainly doesn't with guitars).

Even if you hook a steel guitar directly into a high-impedance instrument pedal, your tone will sound anemic. You always have to put the volume pedal into the effects loop or a special pedal loop on the steel amp, or put a box between them. That's why I've had so much success with it.

I missed what the original poster wrote about wanting it for a guitar rig, and now that I think about it, it's not smaller than the Goodrich anyhow (and probably less robust than he wants too). So no, he won't want it.

All I can say is that I've used "high end" rotary pot pedals, and I'll never go back. They get really scratchy short order, and most of them have a string that could break on you at a gig.

John, you might try seeing if you can find a Scholz Rockman optical pedal. I had one and it was pretty good, and not too big, and robust. I don't think they make them anymore but you might try eBay.
Mickey Lawson

Cleveland, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2010 4:03 am     volume pedal

Ernie Ball volume pedal sits flat on the floor....replace the volume pot with Tom Bradshaw's 470K Dunlop pot for steel.
Benjamin Jayne

Orange County California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 5:44 pm    

So besides Goodrich 120's and Hiltons, what PSG volume pedal won't suck out the tone of the guitar? What about those Fender classics series or Morley little alligators?
Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 1:13 am     volume pedal suggestions

I recently bought a Boss FV500H (high impedance) at Musiciansfriend, no tax, no shipping charges. It has an input, output,expression pedal/fx out, tuner out, min/max volume pot no strings or chords, aluminum body/light weight rather large in size similar to an older Ernie ball pedal,very smooth action which is adjustable(light/heavy or stiff)for only $99.00! I have tried the Telonics and I agree with BB that it's the "Bomb" or best, but I couldn't justify the $500.00 as I am not in a band currently. I do not notice any tone loss at all and is a vast improvement over my old DeArmond 602 that I purchased in '74. Most of the inputs or outputs are at the front end of the unit and do not cause a problem contacting the pedalbar on my Sho-Bud. I have been plugging directly into the amps normal input(Fender Super)I haven't tried the effects loop yet! So far I'm happy with it! I've only had it since last Thursday/it did take five days for delivery since I ordered it online.This seems like a very solid unit plus it fits in the guitar case perfectly too.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 8:01 am    

Deleted

Last edited by Willis Vanderberg on 15 Nov 2010 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2010 11:59 am    

I love the old Sho-Bud type - cast and heavey.
A feature I like to see on a convential potentiometer pedal is the pot is supported within bearing blocks on both ends of its' shaft with the pulley wheel in the middle.
My original Sho-bud didn't have that and I used to have to change the pot every year. I added a bearing support on the far end of the shaft using aluminum angle with a brass insert - haven't changed a pot now in 10 years.