| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I need some insight about playing for hospice
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2010 4:27 pm    

I saw a blurb in my church bulletin about seeking volunteers at a nearby hospital hospice unit. One of the services was for music. Has anyone played in this setting? I want to call this week. I figured I would use my reso but am not sure what to expect or what type of music to play. Anyone here have some experience to share?

thanks so much,
nervous Ron
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2010 4:57 pm    

I've played at a hospice a few times. Be prepared to be deeply appreciated. It can be difficult emotionally but is a very worth while thing to do. Puts things in perspective. I go to place like that with my dog every couple weeks to visit.

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2010 5:24 pm    

I play in nursing homes regularly, and have played many times in hospice. At a hospice, sometimes I have played in a hallway or commonroom, as much for family and staff as for the patients. If invited to visit a particular patient I would check with the staff and family to see if it is an appropriate time. I will play softly, often old songs from the 20's and 30's, depending on the age of the patient. Often a patient is sleeping or appears to be comatose, but I always assume that a patient can hear me and others in the room,(formerly comatose people have told me that they hear everything! even when they cannot respond.)I always ask if they would like to hear religious songs. Once, I asked the family "do you think he would like to hear Amazing Grace?" and the patient said firmly,"No He Wouldn't!"
Danny James

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2010 6:06 pm    

We frequently play at Nursing homes / Re-hab centers and have also played at Hospice.

We do Classic Country from the late 40's & 50's era., as well as gospel. We get requests a lot for Southern Gospel type songs too.

You will never play for a more appreciative audience.

Where we play they are starved for this kind of music.

Very Happy Very Happy Smile Cool
Jim Mitchell

Phily,Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2010 1:52 am    

I played TUBA in a Shiners Band we played the big band sound of the 40’s
In a lot of nursing homes at least once a week

I said we have to learn Rock Around the Clock these people aint that old any more

I am 63 now and when they put me in the home I want to hear some Clapton and Cashdollar

I just found this on the web I am not in there the band is smaller LU LU

we build the CH47

Last edited by Jim Mitchell on 29 Sep 2010 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2010 2:00 am    

Before I moved to Florida, I played in hospitals, nursing homes, senior centers all of the time. They sure seem to appreciate it for sure. Larry
Danny James

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2010 2:08 am    

Yes by all means learn Rock Around The Clock. Your right Jim, these people like to have fun and "ain't that old anymore."

You ought to see em when we take off on Fulsom Prison Blues as an instrumental, or when we do a Boogie.

Then we will slow it down and do "The Old Rugged Cross" and you can see them mouthing the words with you and they have tears in their eyes. Then sometimes so do we. Smile
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2010 4:12 am    

My mother has been in a nursing home for over a year. Most of the patients love going to the music programs and as others have commented here you won't find a more appreciative group. It seems many are looking for memories of happier times and popular/country music from the 30's/40's/50's/60's seems to bring a lot of smiles - they may even want to sing along. Anything around the WWII years is always appreciated. Also with the holiday season coming up you may want to put together a few Christmas songs. You've done your job if you can bring a smile to someone's face and bring back a pleasant memory for them - I think you'll find it to be a very rewarding experience. Some patients never seem to have any family visitors and it's heartbreaking to watch them nearing the end of their lives with no one to be there - I do my best to learn their names, talk to them, and see if they have a favorite song. I can't say enough about the staff at nursing homes and hospices - these are very special people with big hearts.
Dennis Coelho

Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2010 5:42 am     I need some insight about playing for hospice

Playing for a nursing home or a senior center is different from playing for hospice (imo). I've had some long talks with the chaplain at our hospice and he has a concept of music that you cling to, that holds you here, as opposed to music that gives you a release and a sense of parting.

We play twice a week, every Tuesday at the nursing home / rehab center, and Thursdays we alternate between the VA hospital and the senior center. Repertoire is mostly 40-60's CW with some light rock tossed in.

But at hospice, it is all acoustic, guitar and fiddle, sometimes added bass, we play in gathering areas and then sometimes in the patient rooms. A combination of brighter tunes and then softer ones, often Irish melodies and waltzes. This experience gave me preparation for my own sister's death last month when I played fiddle for her at her request the two days before she passed.

At a hospice, have first a conversation with the chaplains or counselors, they can give you good direction on what and how to play.
Bill Connet

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2010 7:58 am    

I agree with Dennis that hospice is different from care centers and hospitals. We need to pay attention to the family and staff suggestions,more than our own preferences. quiet instruments seem to work well.
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2010 8:41 am    

I was all set until they told me I would have to go thru a 12 hour preparation. I would rather use my time to play for hospitals, vets, or seniors.

ron
Danny James

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2010 9:14 pm    

Ron, I don't understand the 12 hour preparation. The Hospice we play at here in Florida is no different than playing for a nursing home / re-hab center as far as preparation is concerned. There simply was no requirements of any kind expressed to us beforehand, other than they asked us to not to be loud, which we never are anyway.

We stayed in a sitting room like and the hallways ran in about 3 directions out from where we were set up at, and they opened the doors to the rooms so the patients could hear us. Some even sent back requests with the nurses. We did do more slow stuff and more gospels, which they appreciated and wanted us to come back. It is different playing there because you can't see most of your audience, but still very rewarding. We always feel like we get more of a blessing than we are able to give them.

We never charge for doing this. It is our gift to them. Believe me the way they have appreciated us we have been more than well paid. These are our favorite places to play. Words cannot describe the blessing we get from it. Smile

My opinion is even with an extensive preparation involved the rewards will be worth your time. If it is possible for you to do it. You won't be sorry. Your band may be the last ones to bring some joy into someones life.

God Bless,
Danny
Bill Connet

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2010 7:13 am    

I would guess that the training program is standard for all volunteers. Hospice has a very important mission in serving those who are dying, and their families and friends. There are also federal and state regulations that they must follow. They want to know that volunteers know what they are getting into, and can recognize the privilege of sharing these intimate moments.
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2010 6:53 am    

Yes, the training classes are required for hospice workers by federal and state laws here in Oregon. I was also required to take a blood test. It is a very moving and spiritual experience.

All of my hospice patients were open to Gospel songs, and I often prayed with them and their families as well.

The steel guitar is a perfect instrument for this. Soothing and soulful.

Dom

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2010 2:18 pm    

Dom, I notice you mention state and federal laws about training classes for playing at hospice.

I wonder if that applies if you charge for the performance. Because here in Florida they never said anything about that to us. And we got invited back.
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2010 4:33 pm    

If you just play music for them I don't think you need all that.
I was registered as a hospice worker, with a photo ID badge, and frequent training updates required. I reported my volunteer hours, and the government kicks in money to the healthcare providers based on this reporting. (Red Tape) I did not renew this year. I just play my steel at several elder care facilities.

Dom

Napa, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2010 2:04 pm     Hospice

I have been a musical Hospice volunteer for three years.The training and paperwork and very thorough as they should be as you are entering peoples homes and lives at a very crucial and difficult time. You also have tremendous backup if something goes awry. I have found it to be a very rewarding and uplifting gig. I just play instrumental. Singing sometimes disturbs people with dementia or Alzheimer's as it is more likely to force them to engage intellectually. But I have had some moments beyond words. Hospice is different than just visiting the elderly. You don't get involved unless a Dr. has given the patient 6 months or less to live. So you are participating in the end of life with a total stranger and their families. That being said it really is an honor and a privilege if you can do it comfortably.
Ray Shakeshaft

Kidderminster, Worcs, UK.
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2010 2:58 pm    

We do quite a few uke gigs for senior citizens/disabled clubs and similar charities and you can't go wrong with Thirties and Forties standards. People do not like to be totally passive, they like to sing and participate so give them music they are likely to know.....oh and add some humour in there between songs. Don't forget to check out with organisers for birthdays/anniversaries in the audience.
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2010 2:59 pm    

Around here they are facilities, not homes. I contacted about 10 and they all have rigorous training including a physical which I understand is important. I found a great source of willing audiences at nursing, senior, and assisted living homes.

Ron