| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud 6139
Jamie Stoner

Bowling Green, Kentucky
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2010 4:55 pm    

Ok...so Ive begun tearing down my 6139...the shiny stuff is all going to James Morehead for repair and polish..and I am going to glue/clamp/and polish the cabinet exactly how John Billings has instructed me!!!Everyone wish me good luck as I will probably need it!!!! Any pointers would be appreciated!!!

Michael Douchette's Franklin; Sho~Bud Fingertip D12; Sho Bud S10 6139 Serial #2911;1973 Fender Twin Reverb Silverface; Fender Cyber Twin; VZ Custom Telecaster; Epi Les Paul Custom Silverburst; Epi DOT; Copley Acoustic; Copley Acoustic Bass; Hammond E311 Organ; 1941 Chickering Baby Grand Piano, formerly owned by John Prine; 1921 Chickering Baby Grand 100th Anniv Quarter Grand

Last edited by Jamie Stoner on 2 Oct 2010 5:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2010 4:59 pm    

That's going to be beautiful, especially with all that shiny Morehead stuff underneath. Might sound OK, too.

KP
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2010 6:27 pm    

I would be interested to know John Billings' polish recipe, as I am in the midst of redoing one exactly like this.
Good luck Jamie.
Jamie Stoner

Bowling Green, Kentucky
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2010 6:33 pm    

check out this link...here is where john told me what to do...
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=190221&highlight=

THanks for the vote of confidence Doug...love what your doin with the Stage Ones....
Michael Douchette's Franklin; Sho~Bud Fingertip D12; Sho Bud S10 6139 Serial #2911;1973 Fender Twin Reverb Silverface; Fender Cyber Twin; VZ Custom Telecaster; Epi Les Paul Custom Silverburst; Epi DOT; Copley Acoustic; Copley Acoustic Bass; Hammond E311 Organ; 1941 Chickering Baby Grand Piano, formerly owned by John Prine; 1921 Chickering Baby Grand 100th Anniv Quarter Grand
Jamie Stoner

Bowling Green, Kentucky
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2010 6:31 am    

now i am getting the urge to completely sand down and have it all fresh.....ok might really need some ideas on that as this would be a first...my preference is for a two tone...dark stain on front and neck....hmmmm...HELP!!!!
Jason Hull

Post  Posted 3 Oct 2010 10:01 am    

It will be worth more with its' original finish, which is lacquer and can be repaired, without having to remove any finish.
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2010 5:57 pm    

"now i am getting the urge to completely sand down and have it all fresh"
If you really must, I'd get it to AJ Nelson and have him refinish it. He did most all the S~B in the day and does many for Jeff Surrat at ShoPro guitars.
That's a great era of guitar Smile
Jamie Stoner

Bowling Green, Kentucky
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2010 7:17 pm    

James morehead has talked me into keeping it original and polishing it. I really don't want to change the integrity of the guitar!
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2010 3:15 pm    

Jamie,
I sent you a regular email about knee levers. You saw the repair of the burn mark in your other thread. You can probably find someone who can make chips/finish loss disappear.
JB
Leslie Ehrlich

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2010 10:03 pm    

If you go with a clear finish like the guitar originally had, an amber tint in the lacquer would give the guitar a 'vintage' look. Mr. Green

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 9:00 am    

Another issue with re-finishing the guitar: suffering through that first ding or scratch. Crying or Very sad
Pat Comeau

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2010 5:13 pm    

It is not to difficult to repair lacquer...with the right technic you can get really close or exactly to the old lacquer color, that's the advantage of laqcuer compared to polyurathane and other finish...the lacquer will blend with the old lacquer, compared with other finish you have to apply each coat when it's wet for it to blend making it almost impossible to make good repair on old lacquer, they sell stains that looks like old lacquer finish to use on repairing wood. Smile

Click the links to listen to my Comeau's Pedal Steel Guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYiaomZx3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GhZTN_yXI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvDTw2zNriI
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2010 4:35 am    

Ricky Davis posted some really goos tips on restoring old finishes. Maybe a search would reveal that thread.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2010 4:42 am    

Pat,
This repair of a bad ciggy burn was done with a water based finish. The area that was refinished ran from the tip of the "Gumby" to the center of the gear housing of the 10th string tuner.