| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel Beginners in 2010
Thomas Ludwig

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2010 5:14 am    

How many of you did start playing the pedal steel guitar in 2010?

After playing the lap steel for some years I wanted pedals. The study of Patricia Warnocks E9th Chord Chart and watching Mickey Adams videos on youtube made my appetite larger. Thank you Patricia and Mickey!

I got my steel at the end of December 2009 and I started in Januray and played my first gig in June.
I am a very beginner and I know it's a long way to master this instrument but learning and playing the pedal steel is so much fun and I'm very happy to do it.

Thomas
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2010 6:05 am    

Thomas. that is an inspiring letter, I must say.!...I know Patricia will see this as well, and she will be thrilled...Jan-June...First gig?..>that HAS to be some kind of new record!!!...Thanks for posting!...Mick
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Robert Gifford

Venus, TX, USA (DFW Area)
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2010 6:21 am    

I'm starting pedal steel as we speak... but I'm sure gig wise I'll probably have one as soon as I would want one.
David Beckner

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2010 6:59 am    

been at it since March 2010..
BEHRINGER RACK TUNER
CUSH CASE RACK
PEAVEY DELTA FEX
PARTS CASTER.Gospel and Classic Country Music
http://www.dbupholstery.yolasite.com
Graeme Jaye

Spain
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2010 7:43 am    

I'm another new player. Started around mid May this year. Did my first gig last Saturday and looking forward to some more..... but I know have a long way to go Smile .

Some of my music here
Jack Willis

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2010 8:01 am    

Round about May. Started studying music theory in Feb.

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2010 11:25 am    

I purchased a used sho bud maverick in October last year. It worked to look at it. By December I purchased a Mullen and a whole stack of Jeff Newman VHS tapes. Also taking lessons from a local fella. Good times! Earl
Elton Smith

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2010 5:53 pm    

I started playing pedal steel this year also.I have owned it for 5 years,I bought it to teach what I knew about to a beautiful lady that wanted to learn,me also.So we went in togather and bought an MSA.A year later she died of cancer.A year from that her husband died of cancer also,my best friend.So the guitar has sat here till I got enough nerve to start playing it.I play slide guitar and dobro so I have a good understanding of,but Mickey has explained how the gizmos work and Im doing pretty fair with it.But this was a hard story to tell.
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2010 6:05 pm    

I started in February of this year after going to the Phoenix show and checking things out. Been playing regular guitar for about 38 years and started having trouble with carpal tunnel symptoms, so figured I should look into the PSG. It sure is challenging!
Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2010 2:56 am    

I've had my MSA Red Baron for about 2 years. I didn't start playing it seriously until a couple of months ago. I put a nail into my left middle finger with a nail gun last fall Embarassed. It really has affected the flexibility of that finger and I find it harder now to play my regular guitars. No matter how much I work that finger, it just won't bend easily anymore. Upright bass is ok and now I think that stiff finger gives me a reason to concentrate on the PSG. Like you Thomas, I'm having a lot of fun with it.
Gary Patterson

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2010 6:40 am    

I'm new this past May, too. Found a trade on Craigslist and swapped an acoustic guitar for my "Johnny Pitts Custom Guitar" -- which, according to Forum research, appears to be a Miller Custom student model, S10, 3+1, soon to be 3+4.

I've played guitar and banjo for many years, and played a production of "Pumpboys and Dinettes" in which we had a PSG in the band. After that, I had to have one. Fantasized about building my own (I build and repair guitars, etc.) but never got started.

I expect to make my "public debut" this Sunday at church, playing "Teach Your Children" to kick off the Sunday School season.
Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2010 8:05 am    

I bought my MSA 12 string in late December, gave it to Lynn Stafford to add extra pedals and set it up as a Universal, got it back in February, took my first lesson with Reece Anderson in late February. I played in public for the first time at my wedding in June - did OK.

I have a very long way to go, but I can at least fumble through most jazz standards, some as melodies, some as chord melodies, some just the chords, able to improvise over pretty much all of them...

I've ordered a new MSA Studio Pro, Bb6 Universal - should get it in Nov or Dec... I'm hooked
Wayne Greene

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2010 5:53 pm    

I got a Stage One about a month or so ago. Boggles the mind!

Wayne Greene
Patricia Warnock

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2010 1:27 pm    

WOW - you guys are more brave than I! I bought my steel in fall of 2007 and have yet to make it on stage. Do I get a little leeway considering it's my first serious instrument - ever? What an inspiration! Good luck, all!
David Guido

Saratoga ,California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2010 4:00 pm    

Still lookin to puchase my first PSG, and hopefully start before years end!
Fender Blues Delux Reissue (the Real McCoy)
Carter Starter (well I had to start somewhere!)
Ruger P89 Stainless 9mm w/15 round clip (ouch)
Dave Yustin

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2010 4:36 pm     Pedal Steel

Played guitar for 35 years, always wanted to try pedal steel, just couldn't afford it. Returned from Iraq and retired in 2009 and finally did it. Been playing about 7 months, love every minute. No clubs to play in up here, even if I sounded good enough. I serenade the animals.
Bob Vantine

Freeville, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2010 5:49 pm    

Had 2 Mavericks starting in Dec.1977 .

Although I always loved steel ,I liked lead guitar better,so I quit for 30yrs.Also being lead singer / lead guitar ,I got to work with several really fine steel players,including fellow forumite LARRY LOROWS ,for years.

The end of June 2010, I received my new teak mica StageOne,(thanks Doug & Mikey D)and played live with it @ the end of July.Both a Sat & Sun gig,just a few songs to start,but it worked out well .

I also would like to again thank Patricia,Mickey,Mike,William and "all" others that devote so much time to help schmucks like me out.Whether it be chord charts or videos or lessons you are greatly appreciated Exclamation and especially the players with the talent & yrs of experience (history)like Mr.Montee for your friendship .And also Bobbe for ....well...being Bobbe Rolling Eyes

thanks.....****Bob V****
Peavey Guitars
Ron Davis

Lake Arrowhead, California... We're a mile high. ;)
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2010 7:40 pm    

Just started about a month ago...
I'm still pretty lame, but I'm lovin' every minute of it.
Gets better each day.
Really do appreciate the kind help & encouragement I've gotten from several here. Some very cool folks.
Smile
rd

www.LA-Zep.com
www.Desperado1.com
www.CMWChicagoTribute.com
Declan Byrne

Southern Ireland
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2010 11:38 am    

I started towards the end of January this year.Although it can be difficult its been so enjoyable and quiet addictive!!! But playing a Gig is highly unlikely at the moment.Isn't there so so much to learn,wish i started years ago.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2010 5:17 pm    

David Beckner wrote:
been at it since March 2010..

And how's it going David? Would be interesting to see you write where you're at now..and also to hear where you're at
Marty Lutes

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2010 6:06 pm    

Just started two months ago. HOOKED!!! Told my wife just the other day, that I'm seeing a little progress....her reply "I hope so, you spend enough time with it!" Very Happy Got a kick out of that. Been playing the 6 string for 20 years, but haven't picked it up much lately. See ya
Marty
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2010 11:07 pm     A little help for new players

My chief mission in life these days is helping newer players gain some traction in their playing. Learning pedal steel is not easy, but the journey is immensely rewarding. Hang in there everyone, you need: patience, practice, persistence, available time, and faith that you can become a good steel player.

Check out my teaching services, as well as peer and student testimonials, on my website, and call or email if you'd like to get some expert, logical help.

http://steelguitarlessons.com

Doesn't matter where you live, via Skype video chat you I can help you make rapid progress, with sound technique and good basic music theory knowledge.
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2010 9:23 am    

Having started back in the "bump-the-needle-back-on-the-record-1000-times-to-figure-out-"that"-lick-days" I would highly recommend that a beginner take advantage of any/all of the wonderful resources that are now available! My pal John McClung does a great job with his program and if you can't hook up with him, find a teacher in your area. When I got to spend some time with Jeff Newman, it really opened my eyes to some of the stuff that would have taken me years to figure on on my own, so do your self a favor and get some one to put you on the right track and you'll be playing like you want to be a whole lot sooner!
JE:-)>
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo
Allan Jirik

Wichita Falls TX
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2010 8:59 am    

I re-entered the world of pedal steel this year after hanging it up 29 years ago for dobro, mandolin, then banjo. The sale of Mom's house provided me with the extra cash to get back into steel. I purchased a new Stage One in February and shortly after an old MSA single 12 as a project guitar. I am also one of those guys who learned by slowing a record down to 16 speed or using reel to reel tape. Today's resources are so much improved, a new player can get going in the right direction much faster. Live pedal steel? The only venue for that was hillbilly bars or the infrequent country package shows that blew into town, "hit and split." I'm glad I rejoined the brotherhood.
Matthew Knapp

Brooklyn, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2010 11:03 am    

I picked it up November last year. I've played at my church a dozen or so times, plus about 5 gigs around town, 3 different bands. One show I played with 2 bands and my buddy who was playing after the second band asked me to sit in. I declined, told him I'd already used all my best stuff Smile

I've also managed to lay down a few tracks for said bands. Recording is much tougher than playing live as I'm sure you all know.

Mickey's video's have been a huge help to my technique as well as my bag of licks.