| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Good Speaker Cabinet for Twin Reverb Head?
Lana Carroll

Brooklyn, NY
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2010 9:50 am    

Hi All,

I have a '72 SF Fender Twin Reverb head (which was made by literally hacking off the speaker part of the cabinet and reattaching the bottom piece). It was "blackfaced" at some point as well. Its 100W, 4Ohms.

Can anyone recommend a good, not-too-expensive prefab speaker cabinet for a disembodied Twin Head? Or an affordable custom cabinet maker?

I have been playing it through my early 70's Peavey Classic 100 50W speakers, and it sounds great, so I am thinking 2x12 rather than 1x15. I really like the "bigness" of the 2x12 sound. But I just tried out a 2x12 Bandmaster cab and it broke up at like 2 on the dial.

Thanks for any thoughts on this issue.

**This is another question that has probably been asked a million times, but I couldn't find a thread on this so here goes Very Happy

Wildomar, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2010 10:09 am    

The issue with your breakup may be the speaker(s) not the cab it self. Having owned a 2-12 BM cab I'd say they are pretty clean. Speaker wear due to age possibly?

I use JD Newell for my custom cabinet needs and have always been satisfied. Resonalble price and excellent quality. JD built me a 2-15 Showman style cab I loaded with Weber Neo 15s. It the best sound I have heard powered by my BF Dual Showman head.

Forum member Rick Johnson builds great cabs too.

I like Weber Neo 12s a lot as a speaker choice.

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2010 11:08 am    

I think Rich is right on the cab makers! Rick Johnson is awesome and JD Newell too! Here are their web pages.

http://www.rickjohnsoncabs.com/index.html

http://www.newellamps.com/index.html
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2010 11:23 am     Rick

I have to second the recommendation for Rick Johnson. He'll make you a nice cabinet that will match the TR head quite nicely. I'd recommend a single SICA 15" speaker for it. 4 ohm, 250 Watts. You can get one from Ken Fox. It makes a nice steel amp and you don't have to worry about blowing it out like you do with a JBL D130F.

You could do something similar with a 2-12" cabinet. It's just larger, heavier and more high-ended, but probably a bit louder. Note: your twin reverb, if it was truly "blackfaced" is probably 85 watts at best.

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2010 10:10 am    

Rick Johnson cabs. Beautifully made, and very reasonably priced!

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2010 11:48 pm    

Rick Johnson made these for me. They are a pair of 15" cabs loaded with JBL K130's that are 8 ohms each, to give me the 4 ohm load for a twin. Nice thing about this rig, you can take one speaker only if you want, or both, and place them on stage where ever you want, and keep the head next to you for easy tweaking. Plus this rig is much lighter to handle than a double speaker cabinet.

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 6:16 am     Cabinet

Dear Lana,

I have a like new Rick Johnson cab with a 15" 1501-4
(or can sell unloaded too). It's black fender tolex, with classic fender twin grill cloth. It will be a perfect match to the head. Looks just like the ones posted in this thread. It's great! I'm in CT close to the city, so you could try, or I could deliver. Call me or email if interested.
widcj@hotmail.com
Lana Carroll

Brooklyn, NY
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 5:55 pm    

Thanks for all these suggestions, everyone. I have some good ideas now, but keep them coming if you have other suggestions.

As a side question (and no to hijack my own thread, but...), I think I am leaning more towards a 2x12 cabinet over a 1x15. Is there anywhere I can listen to some samples of twins with 2x12 vs. 1x15 and compare? I haven't had a ton of luck while searching the forum or youtube.

I used to own a NV 1000, which had a 1x15. To me, the 1x15 sounded far more directional (am i using that word right?) and kind of syrupy whereas the 2x12 sounds larger, and more dispersed. I want my steel to be audible in the mix, and I prefer not to have the shrieking highs I sometimes get out of the temporary speakers I am using (two 50W peavey scorpions), but I want that big, big shimmering, glowing sound that I associate with the twin.

I know there are like 100 threads on this question on the Forum, and I know lots of people have strong opinions about this...plus there is no substitute for trying things out (which unfortunately its harder to do in NYC). but all thoughts are welcome.

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 6:43 pm    

The only way to get a true test, is to play that same 15 through a twin, just as you did through your N.1000. You would find that, that same speaker would sound completely different, depending which amp powers it. Nashville 1000's and twin reverbs are NOT created equal. And that's neither good nor bad--just different.

You could reverse the test, and try two different speaker configuration, using the same amp to power them. Then you would get a fair idea what the tonal differences are.

Probably most important, what do YOU want to sound like? If there is a steel player whom you admire their tone, see what gear they use, that will head you in the direction you want to go tonally.

Say for instance, you could opt for a 2x12 configuration. Then you will need to find out WHICH 12" speaker gives you "that tone". Same goes for a 15" speaker--which one?? Or 10" speakers. What you will find out, is that speakers are not created equal, either, even though they are of the same size. There are many choices--size as well as different brands-- and they are ALL right--if the owner likes the tone they produce. I guess I helped you narrow it down to a ka-zillion, right?

Back to your original question---2x12's push a little more air than 1x15. 2x15's push more air than 2x12's--but that's all about volume. A 15 seems to be a bit smoother than a twelve, but a 12 tends to be a bit more punchy than a 15. 4x10's are punchier yet. More steelers use 15's, over 12's. A few folks use 10's. But it all depends on the type of steel music you like to play. Pretty subjective, huh? Smile
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 11:37 pm     Re: Good Speaker Cabinet for Twin Reverb Head?

Lana Carroll wrote:
...tried out a 2x12 Bandmaster cab and it broke up at like 2 on the dial...

Lana,
Bandmaster 2X12 speakers are much lower rated in watts (~ 25w @) to match the 45 watt amp. A Twin is almost twice as powerful at ~85 watts, so if you want 2X12s be sure they are rated higher (~ 50w @). They'll be heavier, but can withstand the volume without breaking up as easily.

Clete
Thomas Ludwig

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2010 3:49 am    

how about that

http://www.lopoline.com/2x12ocabs.html
john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2010 5:57 am     speakers

And then there is the whole open-back/closed back question.
widcj@hotmail.com
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2010 9:56 am    

For $250.00 shipped this is a great deal. Same speaker we use in our new tube amps for steel:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=192392
Lana Carroll

Brooklyn, NY
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2010 9:10 am    

That Fulton-Webb was gone before I even saw it! Thanks for the heads up about it & thoughts about my questions.

An interesting thing happened. My Twin head, which this thread is about, started running so hot I couldnt touch it. I got very concerned so I brought it into the amp tech to be checked out. By chance, the store I brought it to happened to have an Evans tweed 1x15 cabinet at 4 Ohms sitting on the floor. They dragged out an old tweed twin and a fender 1-lever pedal steel that has been sitting on the floor for as long as I can remember, and let me try it out. It sounded great! that is, until they swapped out the volume pedal to a buyer and replaced it with a rusty old one. Then all i heard was crackle and treble. But back to the Evans - the price is right - its half off and seems like a total bargain. They are holding it for me until the head is fixed so that I can try it out with my own amp.

I dont know what speaker is in it, because it is a closed cabinet. Is there a stock speaker Evans uses? Do folks have thoughts on the Evans tweed 1/15 extension cabinet for the Twin?

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2010 5:42 am    

The speaker is probably made by Eminence, but has an Evans sticker on it.
I've been using a similar setup recently. A fender tonemaster head (100 watts), that's been modded for psg with two 15's. I see what you mean about 2-12s vs 1-15, but the sound of two 15s is really great, and worth only being able to bring one cab sometimes IMO. Btw, everybody is right about Rick Johnson, he's a super good guy to buy from and the stuff he makes is flawless.