| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help with running a stereo effects unit thru stereo amp
David Biggers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2010 10:14 am    

I have had some issues figuring out how to hook these up. Maybe I was tired and tired of at the time.

Peavey DPC 1000 stereo amp
Stereo Effects unit.

OK The way I thought it was to be hooked up was....

Effects unit R out to DPC return R
Effects unit L out to DPC return L

Effects unit R in to DPC send R
Effects unit L in to DPC send L

Right or wrong?? If wrong what is the right way please.
Thanks
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2010 11:02 am    

If the cables are hooked up backwards, it won't work. If it doesn't work, switch the s/r cables location on one device.
David Biggers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2010 1:02 pm    

Jerry
Please explain what do you mean by s/r.
I asume R is right but what is S (SEND)??
David Biggers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2010 1:04 pm    

So if that is correct then switch R send with right return?
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2010 1:40 pm    

I was referring to the send/return jacks. Your connection config. appeared to be correct to me. What I was suggesting was to switch the cables to the opposite configuration you now have if it doesn't work correctly. Just on one device, say at the effects unit and leave the amp connections as is.

Sometimes mfgs. label jacks differently or the labeling is confusing.

Generally, if the send/return connections are not correct, you will not get any sound or at least any effects through the amp.
Bobby Selover

California, USA/Dorena Oregon
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2010 2:44 pm    

Think stomp box.
send=out
return=in

send/out goes to return/in
if amp has FX loop with send and return it is an "in and out for effects (FX)
Now in the Northwest on the Row River. left the city, GFI D10, SP10 ultras, fender lap, McKenna Reso, Deering Banjo, b bender fender tele, strats, Walker stereo steel, fender, marshal, boogie and other fun stuff.
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2010 9:03 pm     Re: Help with running a stereo effects unit thru stereo amp

David Biggers wrote:
...Peavey DPC 1000 stereo amp
Stereo Effects unit.

From one end to the other:
steel guitar
volume pedal
stereo effect mono input (usually left side)
stereo effect out left to amp input left
stereo effect out right to amp input right
amp out right to speaker right
amp out left to speaker left

hope this helps

Clete
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 3:31 am    

Stereo effects units normally have a control on the rear panel that regulates the output level of the unit , this may be causing your power amp to "clip" if the level is set too high. Not being familar with your setup this is only a guess, but I had a similar problem with my "Stereo Steel" amp and when I decreased the level everything functioned normally.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 7:27 am    

What are you using as a preamp? I would think that you would use the effects loop in the preamp for the effects unit. Of course, if your effects unit is a preamp, then the left out(send) would go to the left input on the DPC 1000(no return jack according to the manual), right output (send) would go to the right input of the DPC 1000.

I used a DPC 1000 at one time with a Profex 2, and the outputs went straight into the inputs on the DPC 1000. I also used an Evans preamp, Digitech S200 multi-effects unit and a DPC 1000. That setup was, the left effects send from the Evans to the left input of the S200; the left output on the S200 to the left return jack on the Evans; the same setup for the other channel and then the left and right outputs to the power amp.

ADDED Question: Would a straight effects unit be capable of driving a power amp with no preamp in the chain?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
David Biggers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 8:46 am    

Sorry I forgot to include that.

Steel Rig..
Peavey DPC 1000 stereo amp
Evans stereo Preamp
Peavey dual delta stereo effects or TC Helicon M-300 effects they are the same as far as connects.
(2) Peavey Cans w/Neo 12" speakers replacing the B/W Nashville 112E's cabs but might switch them back. The B/W's are louder I think.

I will also be setting up another rig for my guitar which will have a Mesa Boogie pre amp and another brand amp maybe a Technical Pro 1U amp.??

ALSO
DOES IT MATTER IF I AM USING TRS CABLES. They are already srereo. Should I be using mono instead of TRS
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 8:57 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
...ADDED Question: Would a straight effects unit be capable of driving a power amp with no preamp in the chain?

I think so. Most effects output a line level signal.

I used to use a Korg A2 into a TubeWorks 962 with no preamp (or problems) for a number of years. I suppose you could even plug a steel directly into an amp if you had to.

Clete

Last edited by Clete Ritta on 26 Sep 2010 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 8:58 am    

Hi David...

It shouldn't matter if you use TRS cables as opposed to TS cables. Does the Evans have an effects loop. My ESPA does. You patch the effects unit into the effects loop in the preamp like I stated above, and run the outputs to the power amp.

That is a great setup you have. Tone to the Bone, as they say. I love my Evans Preamp and would use it live, but it has a problem where it starts to break up at moderate to high volumes. I retired it to recording and practicing at home.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 9:05 am    

Thanks Clete. I always wondered about that.

I would still patch the effects unit into the preamp's effects loop, if it has one, and run the preamp outs to the power amp.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 26 Sep 2010 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
David Biggers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 9:05 am    

I am not having any issues with the sound like clipping. I simply have had trouble hooking up my effects unit.

Everthing works super great with my Electro Harmonix Holy Grail inline. I just want to simplify it.

This setup will knock the windows from the back of most clubs. I am running the Peavey amp on 7 and The evans ESPA on about 4 volume and 8 on bass and full treble and WOW!
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 9:43 am    

David, the problem I have with the preamp breaking up (not to be confused with overdrive) is a problem with my particular preamp, and not the Evans line in general. You should be able to crank up your setup there where you are and I could probably hear it here in California, with every note clear as a bell. Like I said, great setup.
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2010 10:01 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
...I would still patch the effects unit into the preamp's effects loop...

Me too, if there is a preamp with an fx loop.

David,
You mention an Evans in your chain, but not in the original post, so I was responding using stereo amp and effect only.

Clete
David Biggers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2010 3:03 pm    

OK nothing works

TC Helicon dual outs and ins.
Changed cords, switched wires. When I plug in the TC Helicon into the Evans it cancels the sound out. When I unplug it it comes back.
I am using TRS balanced cords on all. Could this be the problem. Should it be std unbalanced instead of TRS balanced????????
I am going to try that next.
Please advise........
Is there anything that could be wrong with my Evans?
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 29 Sep 2010 9:03 pm    

You can try regular guitar cables (2 conductor tip/sleeve), but I don't think that is the problem. A regular 2 conductor phone jack will contact the tip and the sleeve and not have contact with the ring of the 3 conductor plug, in essence making the cord a 2 conductor cord.

I would start looking at the effects unit for a problem. I understand you to say the Evans works fine going straight to the power amp, with nothing in the effects loop. Do you have another amp that has an effects loop that you can try the unit in? Does the effects unit have gain controls for each channel (every one I have had, did)? Make sure those are set to where the signal from the preamp is high enough, but not clipping.
Quote:

Everthing works super great with my Electro Harmonix Holy Grail inline. I just want to simplify it.

Is the Holy Grail in the effects loop or between your guitar and the preamp? I don't know for sure that this will work, but try the Holy Grail in one channel of your effects loop and see if it works. Try the other channel.

Of course, it could be a problem with the Evans preamp's effects loop circuits. See if one of your friends has a rack mount effects unit you could try in the effects loop.