| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  G7#9 chord
Thomas Ludwig

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2010 12:54 am    

How do you play a G7#9 chord on E9th and also C6th ?
I know the "chordfinders" but I can't find a nice one. I want to know how a steel player plays the 7#9 thing.
What pedal string combination do you use ?

Thomas
Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2010 1:17 am    

10th fret, with P8 (boo-wah) on C6th.

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2010 2:06 am    

On E9, sixth frett, without the E to F change.
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2010 6:12 am    

On E9 with no root....

9th fret / A+F / strings 9,8,6,& 5
Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2010 6:13 am    

Here's a couple positions on E9.

On fret 9 with A pedal depressed, you can play strings 9 (the 3rd), 6 (the b7) and 5(the #9) for the defining notes of the chord, but without the root, which is on string 10 a fret lower without pedal A.

Or on fret 5, string 9 is the root, 7 is the 3rd, 6 w/ B pedal is the 5th, 5 with a half A pedal is the b7, and 4 with F lever for the b9. I don't care for this position as it's less in tune for me.

(Edit) Rick Schmidt is right. In the fret nine position string 8 raised 1/2 step is the 5th. I don't use it as you don't need the fifth to imply the chord and it's less in tune for me.
Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2010 8:46 am    

Ah, the semantics of chord designation.

Rick Schmidt's description is one of my favorite chord voicings but, depending upon the context in which it is used, can be named a Db13b9 chord. Using his 9th fret example, and from bottom to top, the notes are: B,D,F,Bb. With reference to a Db chord, the B is the 7th, D the b9th, F the third, and Bb the 13th. Note that the root is missing. Give it to the bass player! This is a most delicious alternative to a pure-vanilla 7th chord when moving from V to I. In this case, it resolves to a GbMajor. Given the enharmonicity of things, it obviously can be called a C#13b9 which resolves to an F#Major.

It might be noted that this is one of a small handful of chords which can be played with three finger picks since the lowest two notes can be "raked". There are other, equally delicious four-note voicings which are attainable only with four picks. Just had to get that "plug" in for the "four-pick" people like myself.

Regardless of how ya want to call it ----ENJOY!

Respectfully,

Richard

(Edit) Just a note regarding the above. Since the 13b9 chord is "diminished based" it is movable in minor 3rd increments giving not one, but four available substitutions for the V chord. Try them at your own risk! Who knows, ya might like 'em!
Thomas Ludwig

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2010 4:19 pm    

Thanks a lot!

Thomas
Barry Hyman

upstate New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2010 5:42 pm    

If you have the F# to G raise it gives you the #9.

At the third fret, the 8th string is a G, the sixth string is a B, the fifth string is a D, the second string lowered one fret is the F, and the first string raised one fret is the A#. (I can also do this an octave lower on my ext E9th 12-string, with strings 12. 11, 10, 9, and 7.) I use all five fingers...
I give music lessons on several different instruments in Cambridge, NY (between Bennington, VT and Albany, NY). But my true love is pedal steel. I've been obsessed with steel since 1972; don't know anything I'd rather talk about... www.barryhyman.com
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2010 6:05 pm    

I stole this from Herby

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2010 6:05 pm    

Depending on your setup, you might find G7#9 at any fret on E9. An equivalent exercise would be to look for all 12 raised 9 chords on the open strings. I think this same question was asked and answered a year or 2 ago.
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 8:06 pm     Question about that chord

A cool 1-6-2-5 progression on C-6 in G is G7#9 at the 11th fret with strings 3,5,7. Lowering the 3 and 5 a half step (knee and 5th pedal on standard set-up) holding that same configuration play at frets 11,6,13,12. Great jazz or blues backup or a 1-4-2-5 at frets 11,10,13,12. Its more obvious to me on the C-6 but the same relationship on E-9 at the frets mentioned above.