| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Twin Steels
John Troutman

Washington, DC
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2010 9:27 pm    

I had the pleasure last night of playing a gig with Richard Comeaux-- TWO pedal steels set up on the same stage, playing with the Swamp Pop legends in Lil Band o' Gold (of which Richard is a founding member). The band was also anchored (as usual) by the extraordinary horn players Dickie Landry and Pat Breaux. Richard sounded incredible, as he always does, and he was very generous to share the stage with the likes of me; I was intimidated as all get out. It was a loose night and I often grabbed the acoustic guitar to avoid overkill, but it was fun to play the steels together when we did. I know twin steels is a very uncommon sight (probably for a good reason), but I am wondering who else has done it for a regular gig (i.e. not a steel guitar show). And what twin steel acts existed in the past?

John
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2010 11:34 pm    

There were 2 steel players for a while in Hank Thompson's band. Also the guys at the Opry used to use as many steel players as possible when they could. I remember Hal Rugg talking about putting together "string" sections of steel players.
I'm putting together a 2 pedalsteel rock type band called "Monster Island". We should be gigging in the next month or so.

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 3:57 am    

Hal, Weldon, and Sonny Burnett did do a "string section" on the opry, it sounded very good, and impressive. The good old days when you heard an intro, you knew right away who it was.

Bill
Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 6:49 am    

DELETED

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 26 Feb 2011 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 6:59 am    

Somebody help me out here. I know I had an album by Earnest Tubb that featured twin steels. Possibly Bobby Garret and one of the "Buddies."

On another note, who is the lady in the Hank Thompson photos? Any history there?
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 7:03 am    

Bobby Black and I did that in San Jose a number of times in the late 70s.

Here are some live recordings:

Waltz across Texas

Lone Star Beer

Come to think of it, we also did a gig with the New Riders of the Purple Sage together.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 8:20 am    

The Campbell Brothers have 2 steel players.

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 8:26 am    

About 5 years ago, Russ Hicks and Randy Beavers put together a CD called "A Little R & R (Russ and Randy" which is all twin steels and is fantastic. I saw them perform most of it live at the ISGC that year and still remember their set.
Larry Tracy

Nevada City, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 8:36 am    

I remember going to a KFAT Fat Fry at the Keystone Palo Alto. It was the Moonlighters and Asleep at the Wheel. During the Moonlighters set Steve Fishell, Bobby Black, and Lucky Oceans all played at the same time for about 3 or 4 songs. Then Bobby sat in with Lucky all night with the Wheel. Definitely a night of steel guitar heaven.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 11:38 am    

Fellow Forumite Kenny Dail and I did twin steels for the Virginia Country Music Association's Jamboree held at the Williamsburg Welcome Center some years back. It was with the "Jerry Lee Scott" show. We also played twin steels at a couple of Xmas parties for the same organization. I liked pickin' with ol' Kenny, he had the best vibrato in the area before he moved "South of the Border" to Kinston, NC. Speakin' of the "Old Man", here's a shot of he and I at a steel jam in Kinston a few years back, as you can see, Kenny's relaxin (a thing he does well Very Happy )
....JH in Va.

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 1:15 pm    

The two Steel players with Hank Thompson were: Bob White and Peewee Whitewing.

At a gig a few years ago the Band Leader had myself and Blackie Taylor hired for the same gig. The lead Guitar player had an emergency so Blackie and I played the gig together. Blackie played mostly all the current styles and I reverted back to only Western Swing where the Steel playing did not become repetiticious.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 1:33 pm    

Several years ago, I recorded for some guy's CD. On one song, I recorded my solo track, and they asked if I wanted to record another track. I said "Sure." They couldn't decide which track they liked best. I said "Play 'em both at the same time." They flipped! Their only gripe was about how were they gonna do that live? Not eggs ackley twin steels, more like a Me, Myself, and I kinda deal.
Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 1:38 pm    

That's probably Wanda Jackson in the picture.

She was associated with Hank around that time (1954-55) and did some recordings with Billy Gray then also. Is that Billy Gray on the far left in the closeup, with the guitar?
Terry H Sutton

Vernon, Connecticutt, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 2:24 pm     More than one track

Check out the three tracks on the last part of this piece which I recorded thirty years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRAFs70t2A
Terry H Sutton

Vernon, Connecticutt, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 2:30 pm     three tracks

For some reason my posted youtube URL didn't work right in my recent post so just type in Terry Sutton and there is a mountain view and it should come up.
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 9:39 pm    

Cool thread. Nice playing Dan. I really liked the fills on the 1st course of Lone Star. Smile
bb
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 9:49 pm    

Thanks, Bobby, that was me. I played half the Buddy Emmons licks I knew at the time on that chorus (I played the rest on the solo). Smile
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 10:46 pm    

Yeah, Dan. I knew that was you playing the Buddy licks. Smile I still say it's good. Take Care.
bb
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2010 11:03 pm    

I have an album by Jerry Corbitt (fomerly of the Youngboods), credited on one song with pedal steel east and pedal steel west. East- Lloyd Green, west- John McFee. Didn't know what it meant at that time.
George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2011 6:26 am    

Re twin steels on stage, here is a picture of myself and friend Bill Fay playing two different model Rickenbacker lap steels at the company (Cossor Canada)i worked for staff kids' Christmas party circa 1957 in Halifax.

Geo

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2011 7:39 am    

My favorite twin steel stuff was when Jim Ed Brown had both Hank Corwin and Mike Smith together for a while...awesome
Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2011 8:01 am    

Unless your steel guitar interest ended in the 1960's, you can't talk about twin steels without including Jimmie Crawford and Russ Hicks. They wrote the book!

Also there is a lot of very tasty E9 twin ballad back-up stuff on the Charlie McCoy LP's from the 1970's. It includes Russ, Weldon, and Curley, maybe others, at various times.

As an aside to those who think that all steel playing back then is identifyable, I recently sent Russ a particualr track and asked who was playing and he said "Probably me and Weldon but I am not sure"
Ron Davis

Lake Arrowhead, California... We're a mile high. ;)
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2011 8:01 am    

Ray LaMontagne has 2 pedal steels on some of his studio stuff, as well as some of his live stuff. Greg Liesz is one of those steelers, Eric Heywood is the other.
There's some real nice steelin' on there.

www.LA-Zep.com
www.Desperado1.com
www.CMWChicagoTribute.com
Cliff Trent

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2011 8:42 am     fun

Some of the most fun picken' I've ever had was onstage with Bobby Bowman and Wayne Morton. I've also set in with Luther Thompson. We all had a blast and the crowds like it too. Makes you wonder what'll happen next sometimes!!!!!
Alan Harrison

Murfreesboro Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2011 5:25 am     Randy Beavers & Russ Hicks

Several years ago, at the NTSGA show, Randy Beavers and Russ Hicks did a set together. The most amazing playing I have heard. The best of the best.

"I Steel Without Remorse"