| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  JERRY BYRD music............to be heard!
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2010 1:48 pm    

Listen up you loyal JERRY BYRD followers........

"CAREFREE" will soon be available for you to enjoy on the JerryByrd-FanClub.com

Lot's of examples of how JERRY so effectively used his backward wired, foot, volume pedal for both picked and harmonic noted phrases. Great stuff and a real learning tool if your really apply your ears to the task.

The song is full of his Hawaiian sounding bar work.
Enjoy!
Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2010 4:52 pm     Love that song !! One of Byrds best !!!

Ray , I think "Carefree" was just about the best song Jerry "B" ever recorded !! IMHO !!! His slants and chord work was perfection !!! When I need inspiration I play that tune !!! The Old Geezer Eddie "C"
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2010 5:21 pm     JERRY BYRD's new tunes.........up and running!

Always glad to hear from you Eddie..........

I get so much inspiration from Jerry's playing that I'd find it most difficult to find a single song or two that I could credit for exceptional 'brain waves'.

His old Mercury record of "Twilight Blues" has always been a ringer for me.

MORE IMPORTANTLY tho'.......I found many, many of the songs Jerry recorded with other folks, vocalists, some well known, others barely known, have taught me MORE about how to back-up a singer and to play in C6th, than any tab could ever have done.

"Who Do We Think We're Foolin'" with Red Kirk and Judy Perkins........is a prime example. I'd searched since a teenage to find this record and had long ago given up. THEN, lo-and-behold, just a couple of years back, I got an email from my wonderful friend in Hawaii by the name of Ron Whitfield. He tipped me off about this very record being on eBay. He had no idea I was looking for it. I got it and what a fabulous recording. It showed me how JERRY used the A-7th part of his C6th tuning ever so perfectly....in just one single chord in just the right place.

Once again, b0b and Ron thro' this wonderful medium of internet.......it was possible for me to acquire a little education that meant so much to my playing.

THANKS to both of them and all the others that have performed similar good deeds from which I've benefited immensely.
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2010 5:45 pm     Re: Love that song !! One of Byrds best !!!

Eddie Cunningham wrote:
Ray , I think "Carefree" was just about the best song Jerry "B" ever recorded !! IMHO !!! His slants and chord work was perfection !!! When I need inspiration I play that tune !!! The Old Geezer Eddie "C"

I wrote JB once about that very song. I told him that it was a song I could not seem to grow tired listening to.
JB was so gracious to write back and said that he was surprised I would like that song that much... a song, as he said was one of his preferred.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.