| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jim Flaherty ? Does anyone know anything about him?
Gary Meyer

Sacramento, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2010 7:54 am    

I recently acquired a pedal steel guitar course written by him. Doing a search on him, I found very little.
Does anyone have any info or background on him?
Thanks !
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2010 5:25 pm    

Hi Gary -

I met Jim Flaherty at Jeff Newman's College - Intermediate E9 course back in 1980, I think it was. Hal Rugg was our visiting pro. Jim was a great guy, slight, from Chicago, mild-mannered, soft-spoken, dry sense of humor, nice touch on the steel.

When I moved to Chicago a couple of years later, he was living in a small house on Sheffield Ave., not far from Wrigley Field. Jim, Michael Lee Allen, and I used to hang out together sometimes and the three of us drove to ISGC one year, 1982 maybe?

I remember Jim showing me his course as he was developing it and I was surprised by how thorough and logically it was laid out. I didn't know that he had gone ahead and got it published. Curious how you got it, Gary... I know Jim used to jam Sunday afternoons at some old bucket of blood on Grand Ave. where the heating was - honest - a wood-burning stove. But I got a new job, Michael Lee moved to Fresno & I just lost touch with Jim.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2010 7:25 pm    

I too, met Jim at one of Jeff's courses- perhaps the same one as Frank. I believe that his dad was the legendary race car driver- Pat Flaherty.
Gary Meyer

Sacramento, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2010 4:16 pm     his course

What made me curious is that I bought a box full of PSG learning materials and his course was in it. It titles "E( Blues",comes with a cassette and is primarily single note blues riffs. A couple of the pages are missing but the cassette is in working order.I did a search on him with no results..