| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Great time had at Bill and Betty's Rackett Jam
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2005 8:03 pm    

Had another great day with fellow pickers at Bill and Betty Jobes rackett jam Sunday. Great to see Mike, Jerry, Glen, and every one else.Mr Hughey was soundin great as always....Always a joy to hear my buddy Rob Parker croon a tune. Rob and I also shared a special moment. We were playing a song Rob was singing and he was setting next to me. It just hit me to do a Hal Rugg lick. Rob smiled real big and clappd his hands. I touched my heart and pointed to heaven. Rob said he's right over there! I said yeha but I still miss him. It was special and brought a tear to my eye. I didn't expect Hal's passing to hit me so hard but I cherish all he has given me over the years. Thanks to Bill and Betty and was awesome to see all my old friends and meet new ones.

------------------
Steelin' away in the ozarks and life,
Scott
www.scottyhenderson.com

ray qualls

Baxter Springs, Kansas (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2005 4:34 am    

Scotty, sure sorry we had to miss again this year. Had to work again but next year will be different. Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend tho. Bill and Betty are wonderful and they go out of their way to please people. See you and Teresa soon. Ray & Elizabeth

------------------
Ray Qualls
President(KSGA) www.rayqualls.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2005 5:22 am    

I never made it to one of Bill's jams, when I lived in KC. Seemed like every year when he had the jam I had other committments.

The bass picker I worked with, John Pearson, used to make them.

I did get to visit with Bill in St Louis this year.
Michael McGee

Everton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2005 6:24 am    

I echo Scott's sentiments - Bill & Betty's jam is always fantastic. Some would say it's about steel guitar, but I just go for the food!

Folks, Scott played Ruggsy's lick perfectly at just the perfect moment and it touched us all deeply. Hal & Jeff, we miss you, and we won't forget.

I also want everyone to know that there was a player there Sunday that played some things that had all heads turning, including John Hughey. That guy's name is Bruce Zumsteg. WOW! I've never heard you better, Mr. Z.

John Hughey, you are at a rung on this ladder with which I am not nor will ever be familiar. I can only say thank you so much for inspiring me to keep climbing!

Scotty, I'll see you this weekend, if the Good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise.

[This message was edited by Michael McGee on 27 September 2005 at 10:39 AM.]

Leland Ogle

Baxter Springs, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2005 1:48 pm    

I met Bill and Betty at Jeffran College in 1980. They are the greatest. Sorry I couldn't make it this year, I had to work.
Mike, Scotty, and Teresa, we will see you this weekend. The Lord is willin and Baxter Springs is on a hill so we don't care if the creek rises.
Lee
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2005 6:23 am    

Hey yall Mike is a great player and has a new CD out. Plus he's a great guy.
Yes Bruce Z was smokin Sunday! Him and nelsonstoneking worked out some really cool twin stuff too Yall missed a great day.
See ya in Kansas
JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2005 12:56 pm    

We had a good time at Bill's last Sunday, there was lots of steel guitar music,For the last several years Hal an Jeff has always been there what a large void there is with out them, words cannot express how much we missed them. Thanks to John Hughey he made the day a good one. Mike McGee has a new Cd out that is just great, plays some Curly stuff an some good country tunes, very good Mike. Nelson Stoneking who has been sick pick some good steel along with Scotty Henderson, Bruce Zumstead, Ted Emmons, we had a large turn out this year. Jerry
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2005 5:01 am    

Sadly, I couldn't attend this year. Bill & Betty are wonderful people who always put on a fine party. In fact, Jobes' Jam is what got me started playing steel guitar! That was the year that Paul Franklin, Jeff, Randy Beavers, Jack Ryder and more of the Oklahoma crew was there. I have most of that one on tape. Hope to see everyone there next year.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2005 7:35 am    

Doug, I remember the time that Jeff and Paul were there. I went to a Jeff/Paul semminar in KC before the jam. Didn't get to the jam as I had a picking job.
Kenny Burford

Independence, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2005 12:55 am    

I missed Bill and Betty's jam this year, because I had to work. I had been looking forward to it all year, then I wound up not being able to attend, hopefully that won't happen again in the future. Bill is inspiration to all players in the central Missouri area with his commitment and promotion of the steel guitar and country music. As Bill used to say after playing a rockin' roll song on the band stand, "It's time to play some acid country now."
Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2005 12:48 pm    

Scotty,
That was a very special moment , as we were playing..and I am sure many others felt what we tried to convey..
I miss all the greats that have gone on, but Hal was a special person..He was my hero, my mentor, my teacher, a player on many,many of my albums..my golfing buddy, my fishing buddy,and a 'just hangin out buddy', and many other things for over 40 years..
But most of all, he was a great friend, and I cherish that friendship..
He is, and will be, missed by many..

RP...'come on in'...