| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  No incentive to play...
Ricky Littleton

Steely-Eyed Missile Man from Cocoa Beach, Florida USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 2:50 pm    

Seems of late, that I lost my incentive to play. I plunk around on the C6th neck a tad but can't seem to find the fire to play. Anyone else get this on occasion?

Ricky...
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 3:18 pm    

Yes, yes and yes. When I started about four years ago I was determined to learn this monster as fast as I could, then came the burn out. Then I would hear a lick I wanted to learn and a way I would go again. I think its good to walk away some times.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 3:45 pm     So you've experienced it also?

Ricky....... I've been fighting this for the past several years. I love steel guitar, I love our kind o'music and enjoy it immensley however, the get up and go has done gone and went.

My BIGSBY is still sitting in its case, right where I parked it upon returning from the Big Dallas Show, Rick Alexander's last year there. Was that last year or was it two years ago?

It's sad........ So many years of tirelss study and practice and accumulation of fantabulous musical instruments and records of all the greats.

I guess that's the price of getting olde?
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 4:34 pm    

Ray, someone needs to grab you and carry you to the recording studio and get some of that talent of yours down on tape. Cool
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 4:40 pm    

It's burn out.. it can be temporary or terminal..
Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 4:50 pm     deleted

deleted

Last edited by Mike Archer on 27 Aug 2010 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Luke Morell

Ramsey Illinois, USA Hometown of Tex Williams
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 4:58 pm    

Yes Ricky,it happens.I've taken a break from it a couple times.
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 4:58 pm    

When you lose the spark to play you need to light a fire under your butt again. 'Cause nobody else is going to do it for you.

For me, the sobering reality is that if I realize that I've lost interest then it's probably worse than I think. The steel sits by the door from when I came home from the last gig which was, really, how long ago? I haven't set up a steel at home to practice since exactly when?

And then eventually my old rule kicks in: If I keep doing what I've been doing I'll keep getting what I've been getting. I ask myself what do I expect. Someone to knock on my door and say, "Hey, I'm here to help you get the fire back in your steel playing"? Nobody's gonna do that.

So I hook up with a new band or bring a new tune I want to play to the band(s) I play with now. I play in a packed new club, or I go and buy some great brass or sax players' CDs and try and figure out their licks. I go sit in with someone I know. I place an ad. I go to a steel convention. I call some friends to come over with their instruments and we just play. Heck, I might even play at church. Here's a good one: I record my practicing, convert that to CD and play it in my car. Great way to improve. I pull out old instruction courses from my shelves and look though them again. This'll get you going: play tunes on the back neck that you would normally play on the front neck. Do it on a gig and that'll keep you focused. Might even inspire.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 5:17 pm     Re: No incentive to play...

Ricky Littleton wrote:
Seems of late, that I lost my incentive to play.
A new to you killer guitar and/or amp helps cure that.
Jesse Adams

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 6:05 pm    

you just need to get out and watch someone else play! I'm always so inspired once I see another steeler play. if you're up for the trip there's a show in orlando on friday featuring me and another orlando steeler. plus it's always great to meet another player, there ain't too many out here!

Norfolk, UK
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 12:16 am     All The Time

Hey there

Glad I just read this.

I have just come out of a phase of this.

It's not that I don't like the instrument or the music, it's just that I realise, that no matter how long I play, I will never even approach the standard of the greats. The cure for me seems to be to quit and not worry about not playing. Then maybe after a month or MORE, I sit down and play stuff, sometimes far better than I did before quitting.
For me, If I want to play, that's fine. If I don't that's fine too.

Kind Regards

John
Franklin S10, Telonics X10 pup, Telonics Volume Pedal, Telonics 500 Combo Amp, with Mike Johnson Tone, BJS Bar. Vox AC15C2, Fender Stratocaster, Music Man Albert Lee. Brent Mason Nashville Telecaster. Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Amplifier.Cali76 Studio Compressor, Boss DM3 Delay. Hall & Collens Signature Echo unit.
Robert Thomas

Mehama, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 1:52 am    

I am experiencing what I will call "Old Age burn out", I love to play and have for well over 60 years, but there just comes a time when the body and mind just gets tired and worn out.
Lat thursday a did a one hour program for a nursing home and it was a struggle. I used that for a practice session for Friday's paid gig at an assisted living place. I played for one hour and 10 minutes and literally thought I was going to die before I was done. I believe, as Ray Montee said, the get up and go has really got up and went.
Youth is wasted on the young!
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 5:17 am    

Robert Thomas wrote:
I am experiencing what I will call "Old Age burn out", I love to play and have for well over 60 years, but there just comes a time when the body and mind just gets tired and worn out.
Lat thursday a did a one hour program for a nursing home and it was a struggle. I used that for a practice session for Friday's paid gig at an assisted living place. I played for one hour and 10 minutes and literally thought I was going to die before I was done. I believe, as Ray Montee said, the get up and go has really got up and went.
Youth is wasted on the young!

That's a good thing.... Where would we be if the young burned out / Whoa! Very Happy
Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 5:25 am    

The only thing that keeps me going is looking forward to the next gig. If I was only playing at home for my own enjoyment I would probably pack up my steel and slide it under the bed.
Thomas Butler

Robbinsdale, MN
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 6:06 am    

[Ricky Littleton

Seems of late, that I lost my incentive to play.]

BUY SOMETHING!! - a new Bar - a new amp - something new

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 6:09 am    

Les Paul played gigs in New York City until a few days before his death -- at age 94. I've talked to folks who heard him that last week and, even though the age did show, his performance was inspired and energetic and OBVIOUSLY gave him great satisfaction (not to mention the joy spread to the audience).

Burnout is 100% in the mind. When you stop learning new things it begins. You play the same old tired songs and tired phrases over and over until even YOU get tired of hearing it. You lose the desire to play new music because it is a chore to learn new things, but that is exactly what keeps the brain (and fingers) supple.

I hope I am playing gigs in a hot band when I die. In fact, to die in the middle of a great solo would be the BEST way to go, IMHO. In the meantime, exploring new styles, new tunes, and playing with new compadres has always helped me avoid boring myself to tears so I suspect I'll keep on trying that same formula for a few more years yet. Worked for Les.
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 6:34 am    

Some players tell me why do you play in a new country band,that new stuf. Playing till 2 in the mornning. Played 7 gig this mounth,out side and inside. The band is taking 2 weeks off. Thats why I do it,it keeps me going. Sunday I'll turn 71. Joe

www.willowcreekband.com (Larry,say hi to the Beast for me Smile).
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 6:58 am    

I've got to do something about my spelling,I guess I stay up too late Smile Joe
Dave Biller

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 7:31 am    

We all suffer through this Ricky. It is part of the learning process and, as Larry said, completely mental. Some of it has to do with the fact that, unlike everyone else, you have to listen to every note you play on the steel guitar. That can sure make you stale. I wouldn't want to listen to any one player for 4 hours a day, let alone myself! If I've been practicing a lot, burnout and a short break will surely follow. A new record with great steel, maybe someone you haven't listened to much before, video, or like Jesse said, a live performance by another player will help inspire you. Sometimes just reading an article about a steel player can get you revved up. (during one of my self imposed breaks, I began to study the intricacies of Weldon Myrick's playing and he became my silent mentor, I never fail to get a boost by listening to his wonderful stuff) Either way, don't worry too much, the feeling will pass when you discover new things on the intrument and you will!

And, Larry, It would be great to die in the middle of a great solo, but even better to go at the END of your ride, right at the moment the lead guitar takes over!! Devil
Michael Robertson

Ventura, California. USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 7:53 am     Darn Right

Thomas Butler wrote:
[Ricky Littleton

Seems of late, that I lost my incentive to play.]

BUY SOMETHING!! - a new Bar - a new amp - something new

DARN RIGHT!
It works for the women.
New shoes, new dress, new tops, new bra, new jewelry, whatever.
You know the goose and the gander thing.
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 8:20 am    

Dave Biller wrote:
We all suffer through this Ricky. It is part of the learning process and, as Larry said, completely mental. Some of it has to do with the fact that, unlike everyone else, you have to listen to every note you play on the steel guitar. That can sure make you stale. I wouldn't want to listen to any one player for 4 hours a day, let alone myself! If I've been practicing a lot, burnout and a short break will surely follow. A new record with great steel, maybe someone you haven't listened to much before, video, or like Jesse said, a live performance by another player will help inspire you. Sometimes just reading an article about a steel player can get you revved up. (during one of my self imposed breaks, I began to study the intricacies of Weldon Myrick's playing and he became my silent mentor, I never fail to get a boost by listening to his wonderful stuff) Either way, don't worry too much, the feeling will pass when you discover new things on the intrument and you will!

And, Larry, It would be great to die in the middle of a great solo, but even better to go at the END of your ride, right at the moment the lead guitar takes over!! Devil

Dave,

Once again, you and I are on the same page. While everyone is singing the praises of some of the other top name players and their smoking C6 instrumentals, etc..... I'm listening to the breaks and backup licks that Weldon played on people's records in the 60's and 70's. Weldon was my main source of steel guitar music when I was growing up because the Opry was my main source of live music. If you notice, I recently asked for explanation of the intros to Connie's "Where Is My Castle" and "Cry Cry Cry". That's some great Weldon. I also listen to a lot of Moe Bandy and Gary Stewart with super Weldon playing.

I can get really bored with instrumentals in about 15 minutes, or less. Weldon has set a standard that few players will ever meet, as far as I can tell....... and of course I've got to mention the great Dicky Overbey too. Between these two guys, I can get enough licks to last me a long time.

Smile
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 8:22 am    

Joe,
I have to confess I was thinking about you. I just turned 60 and am finally able to play as often as I'd like. Guys like you who are still out there giggin' into their 70s are my INSPIRATION. Your attitude has inspired me as well -- why NOT play some hot licks on those rock tunes or the newer country stuff? (Oh yeah, the Beast says hi -- he misses you but I don't let him far out of my sight)

I play in a band with several folks who are the age of my children. I don't try to keep up with them (in ANY way) but, as long as I can take it easy, it can help keep me young. I can still play 'til 1:30AM and drive two hours home; here's hoping I still can in ten or more years. John Hughey was playing the best I ever heard him in the 3 or 4 years prior to his passing.

Yeah, Dave -- finishing off that coup de grace might make it even sweeter! Especially if I could punctuate it with some little final lick that makes the guitar man go WHOA!!! Cool

The best cure for burnout I've found is to enjoy the music you play -- whatever you have to do to make that happen. If it isn't fun, then . . .
. . . well, it isn't fun and if you keep playing WITHOUT having fun, you'll crash and burn. That's my experience anyway.
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 8:34 am    

Oh yes, I failed to mention. I too have lost the incentive to play. It's called burned out. No, I've not burned out, but the music that I enjoy playing has burned out in this part of the world. I'm mainly a fiddler and no one wants a fiddler except to play square dances............ forget that! I get some calls for steel playing jobs, (and I'm not a good steel player), but they want to play new country and 50's rock and roll. I can't play that stuff and don't want to, and I'd rather stay home than fool with it.

I play an ocassional bluegrass gig, but that's only if they pay really well and I don't have to go through much aggravation, rehearsals, etc... to do the gig. If it's complicated, I turn those down too. So, I guess you could say I'm just tired of all the BS that's happened to music lately. If it should change I could get interested again. Until then, I pretty much just record my own stuff in my studio, and do a session every now and then for someone else.

I wish there were some pickers in my area that share my taste in music, thsat would like to play, but I think most of them are like me and just got sick of the way the music has turned. Maybe we're all waiting on one another to make the first move? Laughing

Smile
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 8:47 am    

Quote:
I can't play that stuff and don't want to, and I'd rather stay home than fool with it.

Rick, I think that pretty much says it all. I love all styles of music -- played 60s and 70s rock for years b4 picking up steel guitar -- and have no problem jumping in on Skynyrd, Allmans, or even AC/DC or Fleetwood Mac. The bar crowd loves classic rock. If you can't find that music in your soul new country probably won't work for you.

I've noticed that many 'new country' acts that don't feature steel guitar DO feature fiddle, but if you'd rather not play than play a style you don't want to play, that's gotta be your call. I bet you COULD play it if you WANTED to. Very Happy
Michael Robertson

Ventura, California. USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2010 8:49 am     Burned Out

Rick, my steel is filthy and I am just too burned out to clean it myself.
Can I ship it to for a thorough “Spring Cleaning”?
Very Happy