| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Still playing Zum
John Hughey

Hendersonville, Tn. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2005 2:02 pm    

I just want to clarify something.
I can't walk out of my door without someone commenting on me playing a Mullen guitar.
Someone just told me that they were told that I had left Zum and had ordered another Mullen. They wouldn't tell me who told them.

I don't understand where people are getting all of this information.
For those that are really concerned about what I am playing;
About 2 years ago, Del Mullen told me that he would like to build me a guitar. I told him that I would be glad to try one.
I got the guitar this year in St Louis. I have it in my music room where I'm adjusting the pedals & knee pedals. I have not taken the guitar out and played it yet.
I told Del that I would try the guitar and if it beats my Zum, I will play it. If not, I will send it back to him. That's the way it stands today and I do not have another Mullen ordered.
As soon as I can take the guitar out and play it, I will let Del know what I think. Until then, I'm still playing my Zum.
I would like to leave it at that until you hear anything further, directly from me. Don't believe what you hear until you hear it from me.
Thanks very much,
John Hughey
Tommy Alexander

Friendswood, Texas 77546
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2005 2:27 pm    

Way to go John; tell it like it is. I have played em' both and like em' both, but I am still playing my Franklin and I like it too! In fact, paul built mine in 1980; still looks the same and plays just as good as a new one.
But, I would like your imput on both, cause they both play good. See you in Dallas.

------------------
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2005 2:27 pm    

John,
Whatever guitar you play, you always sound wonderful. I stand in awe!
Larry Jamieson
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2005 2:46 pm    

Does this mean the Multi Kord deal is over?
Those darned rumors!

Bobbe
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2005 3:53 pm    

Thanks John. Sometimes you just have to set record straight. You did it with class and without coming across with a bad attitude. I know both guitars are great guitars. You would sound good on a 2x4.
John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2005 4:14 pm    

Mr.Hughey, You play whatever you want!! it will always sound great to me,,greetings and respect from across the pond....
John Hughey

Hendersonville, Tn. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2005 4:22 pm    

Thanks guys,
I didn't mean to sound sarcastic if I did.
But I was just tired of explaining to everybody I ran into.

Bobby, if you'll get the price right on that Multi-Kord, we might deal. LOL
JH
Wayne Smith

Rowlett, Tx. USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2005 5:59 pm    

John, Those Harlen Boys really built a great guitar when they made that Multi Chord. I'll bet Bobby will make you a good deal.
Like the guys have been saying, play what you like. Your playing is great and we will take your music anyway you make it. By the way, I have been wearing out your "Classics" Album. Great stuff. God Bless
Wayne
Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2005 6:12 pm    

We're looking forward to seeing you and Jean over at Hot Springs.
Jim Thompson

Washington, Pa. USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2005 6:45 pm    

Hey John,
I think you're entitled to play whatever kind of guitar you want to play. I don't think there's a manufacturer out there that wouldn't want you to play their guitar, but the that's for you to decide. I don't recall this much fuss when you changed from Emmons to Zum. Even if you do switch I'm not taking your autograph off my Zum. Keep up the good work, we love it. Tell Jean that Patty and I said hi. God Bless.

------------------
Zum U-12 8&6
John Hughey's biggest fan

Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2005 7:12 pm    

John...I admire the way you boldly addressed the rumor mill!

By the way, I told you last Saturday at the Nashville Jam when you begged me to give you a lesson that I would only do it if you practiced more and bought a Fender 1000!! Whoops...I let it slip about the Fender 1000 Ha HA

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2005 7:58 pm    

Guys you've got it all wrong. John wants to play a SRV Stratocaster with a Marshall stack. He's just been fooling us by playing steel all these years til he could make the right contacts. He's honing up his chops now on an Eric Clapton Strat so he can do a gig, topless with the Rolling Stones on their tour. Now I believe that to be the truth although I really can't say who told me this. I can't remember who it was but I'm sure they knew what they were talking about. They also asked me if Truman was still president of the United States. All in fun fellas, all in fun. Please forgive an old man for having a little fun. Mr. H. you is still my steel guitar hero.

Michael in the Ozarks
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2005 10:47 pm    

John;
I hesitate to interfere here, but; I still haven't figured out whether it was your guitar or your amps or just you last sat., but; whatever is was, you had it all going in your favor! What a great sound!!! I can only dream¡

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’04 SD–10 Black Derby w/3 & 5 & Pad
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence
web site
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2005 12:16 am    

John , just say the word, I'll send you my $99 Banjo so you can finally perform on your REAL Instrument of choice..

I'll even pay the shipping..

t
Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2005 3:51 am    

I heard that coversation too John.... I was standing closer and what the guy really said was "Boy that Hughey really plays "zum" steel and there's no "mullin" around when he gets started."

------------------
Rick
Williams & Kline U-12's, Session 500
Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2005 4:36 am    

John, Hope you do play your Mullen, but we think you sound GREAT on anything you do play. Guitars and amps. Jerry and Austin will see you in Hot Springs. Donna
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2005 5:00 am    

John, I heard you might be driving a Ford now (ha ha). I know how you feel. When I went to work here at MSA I actually had one guy call me a traitor to my face. Play what you want, when you want. You will sound great on anything.

Johnny Cox
Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2005 5:16 am    

John, like everyone else here, I think you would sound Great on ANY Brand of Steel Guitar. However, I think you sounded the BEST when you played an Emmons.
Doug Rolfe

Indianapolis, IN
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2005 5:55 am    

John, I just felt I needed to post after the comment came up about the Emmons. I suspected that it would eventually considering the topic.
Randy Beavers recently recorded a CD using both an Emmons and Zum. He challenged the forumites to determine what steel he played on each song. No one was able to get it right on this forum (several tried). This again supports my contention, that the sound is in the hands, not in the brand of steel that you play. I have always felt that you have a sweet sound no matter what steel you sit behind.
Curt Shoemaker

Ionia, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2005 6:13 am    

Hey John, Rumor here in Kansas, has it you're going to play the guitar I'm going to build. It will be called the "Shoe-Bud".I believe the JH sound will be there on what-ever!
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2005 6:15 am    

John,I know exactly how you feel. Everytime I show up at a gig I hear people say,is he still playing that Dekley and then I tried a Carter and they asked the same thing.

------------------
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Tony Rankin

Land O’ Lakes, FL
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2005 6:21 am    

Doug Rolfe--You said it all brother!
Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2005 7:53 am    

Mike McGee did the same thing Randy Beavers did on his CD. He used two Zums and an Emmons, and asked which was which. The jury is still out of that one. Much is in the hands true, but I think the pickups and amp have a lot to do with it also. I noticed a great difference in tone when I put a TrueTone pickup on my steel. There was a far better sound than what I was getting with the factory installed pickup. So there you are. I guess it will always be up for debate which is the most important. The hands are important, but without a pickup or an amp who's going to hear you when you play a solid block of wood?
Larry Hamilton

Amarillo,Tx
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2005 3:54 pm    

Mr. Hughey could take a horse shoe magnet, wrap it baling wire, stick it under some strings on any guitar and get that ever so great Hughey tone. We all have heard him play Emmons, JCH, many Zums with a variety of pickups and it all come out Hughey. Great job John.

------------------
Keep pickin', Larry
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2005 4:48 pm    

Don't forget about the axe John built that he recorded on some of Conway's early stuff. One song that comes to mind is "Next In Line". That sounds just as good as any other brand John has played. I say it's in the hands and heart.