| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Packaging to Ship Steels
Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2010 1:14 pm    

Since I'm involved with selling a few steels at the moment, I'd thought I'd share some pics showing how I package these beast.

I've been using this method for the last 10 years and a dozen steels of all sizes, weights, and shapes with success in reaching their designations relatively unmolested.

I've used the same technique with all amps large and small. I do place a 3/8" sheet of plywood in front of the speaker also.

Here's the link:
http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/578415761yOyiqg

hope this doesn't jinx any of the ones currently in transit Whoa!
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2010 2:24 pm    

Steve,
That looks good and solid as well as very well protected.
A couple of questions: It looks like you are using clear packing tape around the outside of the cardboard.
All it takes is for some semi-sharp protrusion to puncture the tape and it comes apart. It's strong for pull but weak for cuts. Would reinforced tape be better?
Also: If you ship a steel with casters on the case - would you leave these exposed so the case could be rolled thru the airports etc?
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2010 2:43 pm    

Bent,
I'd think you'd be askin' for trouble leaving anything sticking out of the packing box. It might get caught on something on a conveyor belt, and knock your package to the ground. And that conveyor belt might just be quite a ways from the concrete floor!
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2010 3:44 pm    

John, I might,yes. But I did leave the wheels exposed when I took that steel over to England last year. There was no way I was gonna carry the thing for miles through Heathrow. What I had to do was put the case upside down on the Fragile conveyor. That was no problem since the steel was packed in there tightly.
But I can see your point where it is shipped by a courier - from truck to plane to truck and a whole bunch of conveyors.
Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2010 4:12 pm    

Bent,

valid point, however I've not had a problem. I do have 3-4 layers on there. The cardboard is scored in order to bend, and then edges are dulled with a piece of wood.

If I were handling my guitar, I'd do just like you did....if a shipping company, no wheels exposed.
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2010 4:30 pm    

2x4 blocks in the pedal section is a good idea.
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 11:19 am    

I bought a Sho-Bud from our Forum brother Kurt Kowalski a few years ago and he shipped it in a box that was lined on all sides with 1/2"-3/4" panels of styrofoam insulation. So you have a box (the case) inside of a box (the outer carton) with a cushion of medium density styrofoam in between. Not as good as an ATA flight case but very sturdy. Every guitar I've shipped since then has been packed in that way. Thanks, Kurt!!!

Also, the 2x4 block to keep the leg/rod/pedal bar compartment from collapsing is a great idea. You want the guitar to remain stationary at all times. No rattles when you shake the box.
Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 12:05 pm    

Larry,

That's just exactly how the one in my pictures is packed.

Instead of wood, I use high density hard foam in the leg compartment...much lighter and does exactly the same job.
Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2010 2:08 pm     Thanks

Steve, I packed my first Steel Guitar for shipping today, its going to South Carolina from Calif. Thanks for the how to do it. Billy

78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56
Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2010 2:48 pm    

Looking Good Bro!

I save the cut-outs for the handle and ask at the desk if they want it exposed or not. If no, then just place the piece in and a couple pieces of tape and it's good to go.

I also use FedEx whenever possible. Just my preference.

I'm sure there's an opinion for every a*****e, but this method makes me feel a little more confident that the package is gonna get where it's going in good shape.