| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Small tube amps for lap steel?
Travis Hillis

Nashville TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 3:36 pm    

Well im thinking of getting a new amp for practice and recording. Preferably, a small tube amp. So what are the good ones? Im considering the new Champ 600, Valve Jr., and one I saw made by Vox. Im wondering about others though. As for price range, under/around $300 would be nice. Im not buying this very soon, but plan on it.

Thanks Smile ,
George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 7:09 pm    

Can't go wrong with a Silvertone 1471 or 1481 IMHO. They show up on eBay frequently in your price range.

George

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 9:26 pm    

These are pretty nice for lap steel though a little out of your intended price range:

http://www.vintage47amps.com/files/
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 9:22 am    

I've got a Crate Palomino V8 that I'd be willing to part with. I have the first series, made in the US. The newer ones are cheaper and are made in Vietnam. It's small, loud, and has an effects loop.
Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 12:32 pm    

Ive got a Gibson g5 and a Valve Jr. and they both sound great.

If I was in the market now I'd buy one or two of these...
http://www.amazon.com/Bugera-Vintage-Guitar-Amplifier-Sounding/dp/B0035EJAQ8
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 9:11 am    

hey danny..have you used the bugera? how would my bakelite rick sound through it...and maybe my dobro, even, for accompanying a singer/songwriter coffee house type gig?? email me about it if'n ya wanna.

i dig the way they look!
Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 9:23 am    

I haven't used the Bugera but all of those little 5 watt amps sound pretty much the same. My '35 Ric Bakelite sounds really great through my Gibson GA-5.
No joke... Really great.... I never could imagine anything sounding better. Cool

Dobro? I don't know.

All of the single tube Class A amps hum so be ready for that. Bugera has other models too without the single tube power section.

The Bugera has tone controls and a thing to cut the wattage (and reverb) so I figure it will sound even better.

Here's what my Gibson looks like...

Travis Hillis

Nashville TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 10:41 am    

Thanks guys!

Looks like I have a lot of options to explore.

James, thanks, I'll consider it. US made is a big deal with me.

Does anyone kow if the gibson amp is discontinued? I cant find it online. Sad
Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 11:24 am    

Travis,I've got a vintage Gibson GA-15 RVT with a 10'Jensen in it.A pair of EL 84's,about 18 watts..Decent reverb,trem,in very good condition..I used it for lap steel and Tele lead in the studio.
I can let it go for $300 plus shipping.

Travis Hillis

Nashville TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 12:43 pm    

ooo Nice amp. Unfortunatly I dont have the money yet Sad
Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 1:19 pm    

Laughing That's alright.Just send me your first born.. Laughing
James Mayer

Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 1:28 pm    

Travis Hillis wrote:
Thanks guys!

Looks like I have a lot of options to explore.

James, thanks, I'll consider it. US made is a big deal with me.

Does anyone kow if the gibson amp is discontinued? I cant find it online. Sad

Another note about the Palomino is that it's not actually made by Crate. I can't remember who the manufacturer is by it clearly says something like "manufactured in Cleveland by Ampeg for Crate".

It's actually a great little amp but it's way louder than I was expecting. It's 5W and it competes with my Deluxe Reverb. I consider it more of a blues amp, which is not really my thing. I use my Modded Deluxe Reverb, which is my sort of thing. I played a friends Peavy Classic 30 and I'd say it's similar to the Palomino. Our guitarist uses it to record because he likes it better than his Vox. So, I'm not sure where that leaves it.
Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 8:05 pm    

The USA made Palominos are a fantastic bluesy amp, if that's what you're into. They break up nicely.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2010 5:13 am    

I would save up for Papa Joes Gibby. That looks killer and I know Papa Joe knows good vintage gear. I love those little gibsons

Im sure there are some nice little tube amps being made currently.
The thing is there are so many just killing vintage small tube amps at great prices that I cannot see buying a newly made one. why?
well, vintage sounds WAY better, cool vibe or mojo, and are easily repaired unlike their modern equivalent with printed circuit boards, plus usually made in usa.

Ive got two valve jr's (head and combo).
put a tubescreamer in front of em and they are great.
Beware the old version of the valve jr combo, very noisey. Its unlikely you'd run into one tho unless used. definetly not made in good ole usa
Travis Hillis

Nashville TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2010 4:40 pm    

Thanks guys. Very Happy I'll probobly end up going for a vintage amp. If I buy new it will most likely be a Carvin, US made Fender, or US made Peavey amp. Wink

Im also tinkering with the idea of just getting a acoustic amp and use it for all my guitars. Gah, to many options lol.

Can the Palomino play clean at all? I play with overdrive sometimes but I prefer the classic country lap steel tone.
Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2010 5:04 pm    

This Gibson cranked all the way up will just start to breakup especialy with a hot pup.A single coil Strat pup plays fairly clean all the way to the top.It is indeed a good lap steel amp.. Smile
James Mayer

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2010 7:31 am    

Travis Hillis wrote:

Can the Palomino play clean at all? I play with overdrive sometimes but I prefer the classic country lap steel tone.

Of course it can do clean, it's just not going to stay clean when you crank it and play with a powerful pickup. Most people buy small tube amps for the breakup at low(er) volume as that is what they do best. It's not a Fender Twin or a solid-state pedal steel amp. It'sj going to do what every tube amp in it's size and wattage class is going to do, break up into tube distortion when you pass a certain point on the volume knob.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2010 8:58 am    

I have a solid state 15W Fender Bronco that I bought a few years ago that I really like. I did some mods to it by removing the old 8" speaker and building a new baffle board and mounting a JBL-D110F on it (required much in the way of altering the amp's chassis, but I did it). It sounds great and kicks the butt of most little amps I've ever owned, tube or solid state. Really does sound like a Fender amp, too.

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2010 9:09 am    

James Mayer wrote:

Of course it can do clean, it's just not going to stay clean when you crank it and play with a powerful pickup. Most people buy small tube amps for the breakup at low(er) volume as that is what they do best. It's not a Fender Twin or a solid-state pedal steel amp. It'sj going to do what every tube amp in it's size and wattage class is going to do, break up into tube distortion when you pass a certain point on the volume knob.

+1 on what James Mayer said. However, the Palomino has the reputation of going from clean-to-breakup-to-saturational bliss better than any other inexpensive amp.
Brick Spieth

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2010 7:59 am    

That Gibson looks like a winner. A Fender MusicMaster Bass amp should be found for your budget. Put a decent speaker in it and you have a real sleeper of an amp with a 12" speaker and 12 watts of Silverface goodness.
Jesse Adams

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2010 2:10 pm    

I use an old 1948 Gibson Br-9. I got it for about 200 bucks and it's everything you would want out of a low watt tube amp for steel. you might look for one.. the GA-5 is pretty cool too. it's alot like the BR-9 just about 60 years newer!

Nashville TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2010 7:22 pm    

Thanks guys...unfortunatly I suffered a bit of a set back. Remeber my post about getting a slight shock from my steel? Well I plugged the amp into a different outlet that a tester said was grounded. Got shocked so freaking bad. I dont trust this old house and will be using a battery powered amp. Oh Well Sad Crying or Very sad

Any chance any of the above are battery powered? Lol...