| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Getting a Weissenborn sound in a loud band situation
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 5:08 am    

I record often with a Weissenborn and Roy Smeck, but have trouble using those guitars in a loud band with drums and bass. I've been looking for solutions and one idea I decided to try is to take a Godin A6 acoustic/electric and raise the strings up on it and play it in my lap. Also maybe run the signal thru an Aura Dreadnought pedal if it helps. I know I can't get 100% there, but what the heck, it's worth a try.

Note: this is for the clean, natural acoustic sound, not the distorted BH stuff.

Anyone ever try this?

Decatur, GA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 6:54 am    

I have used both a Weissenborn and a Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe with an electric band and had no problem cutting. (The Smeck can cut an electric band in the studio with just a mic over the soundhole.) I used Sunrise pickups and an Avalon U5 preamp. Amps with a 15" speaker sounded best. But for several reasons, including simplicity, I've switched now to a solidbody Asher Hawaiian Junior (10" speakers suit that better).

Here are a couple samples of a Dart Weissenborn-style guitar with the band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJGOCGvJQbI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fUkQIzCYcA

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 7:32 am    

Thanks for the hints, Tom. I recently heard Cindy Cashdollar play an Asher lap steel live and there was a setting she had where it sounded pretty natural - similar to a Weiss with a Sunrise. I liked it. When I've got more bucks, I might go that route.

Fresno the center of California
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2010 3:28 am    

Hey Tom'sI checked out the link below. Tom G, That's a great sound your'e getting out of the Asher. You can get a lot of good tone out of a good double coil humbucker. Does this mean no more weissenborn on stage? Good to see some new work on You tube of Deltamoon.
How's the back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJqipfYIyG8&feature=related
Tom Gray

Decatur, GA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2010 7:03 am    

Thanks, Rickey. I couldn't identify with the humbucker and swapped it for a custom P-90 Lindy Fralin built to fit in the humbucker slot. The Asher's my main stage guitar these days. I still love the Weissenborns, and now that we're talking about it will pack one this weekend.

Fresno the center of California
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2010 7:42 am    

In my humble opinion, P90's, humbucking, and in between the bridge and the middle pick up of a strat you could get any tone you want.
I finally got all the parts I needed to put together a strat with a Duncan Pearly gates bridge humbucking pick installed as the bridge pick up. I've got to turn down the treble or there's way to much high end. A P90 may have been better.
Will Delta Moon ever do any touring in the golden state?