| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New HSGA Tune: Pua Lilia
David Soreff

North Las Vegas, NV
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 1:39 pm    

I was not feeling totally myself the other day...maybe 3/4 of myself, so here is a beautiful song...in 3/4 time.http://www.hsga.org/forum/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1281649012/0#0
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 3:48 pm     Harmonics

Perhaps you incorporate this but my old Ears are not hearing it. When you play two adjacent string harmony notes together , do you ever hit the lower string with a palm harmonic and the upper string natural. I learned this years ago from an Alvino Rey Instruction Book for 6-string lap steel.
It makes a very nice souund. You can also use this on two string slants. I enjoyed your playing very much.
David Soreff

North Las Vegas, NV
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 4:22 pm    

Aloha Billy,
Mahalo for the compliment. As far as the double stop technique you mentioned, this is actually something that my teacher Alan Akaka has mentioned to me as a way to give some variety to playing and putting a different spin on straight up harmonics. I'm still working on it, and I use it live now and then, but left it out of this recording.
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 7:33 pm    

Hey, that was nice, and one of my favorite tunes!! The steel has a nice tone too. Very Happy
Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 10:01 am    

Dave,

That was just lovely!

That was you in 3/4 time, wonder what 4/4 or 6/8 would sound like (hint!)

Bravo! More!

Kay
Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 3:34 pm    

Very Pretty. That Supro sounds mighty good.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 8:55 pm    

Very Nice David...great tone. I also honed in on your
rendition of "A MILLION MOONS OVER HAWAI'I" ... one of my favorite songs. You played that very well with lots of feeling. I'd like to hear you sometime with a live backup.
David Soreff

North Las Vegas, NV
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 11:34 pm    

Keoki,
Mahalo nui for the compliment. That version of Million Moons was the first thing I ever recorded on steel...six months after I had started. I still don't think I have recorded a better tone since...must be that Ricky magic, eh? I do admit though, I prefer my Supro...is that heresy? LOL I have had the pleasure of playing steel with live backup only once, (if you remember, I work on the cruise ships full time with my wife in a duo)and that was last year with Alan Akaka and The Islanders. It was as part of his concert for his school, featuring some of his haumana. There are two videos on YouTube...one of Mapuana and one of Haole Hula. I have to say, not my best playing, as it was my first appearance on steel...and when you have Alan, Gary and Kaipo in back of you, it can be a little unsettling for a newbie. I do play steel on the ships, but that is with the tracks we use for our duo. Nice, but not the same as living, breathing musicians. I sooooooooo want to make it to one of the conventions and have a chance to play and hear all you great players live, but ships seem to get in the way. BUT....we are not going to be working on ships next summer, (we're buying a house on the Big Island) so if there is a convention in the summertime, I will be there. Again, thanks for the kind words.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2010 7:42 am    

Nice, David! You're getting a real sweet sound. That's the best tone I've heard in a while. Smile