| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Old Marlen - pull/release or all pull ?
Stefan Roller

Germany
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 7:10 am    

Dear Forumites,
I've got a question concerning this Marlen guitar which popped up at the bay: being a beginner I don't have a clue how I could tell a pull/release from an all pull changer. I know that older Marlens had the pull/release, but I'm not sure about the construction year of this one. So, any help would be appreciated - thank you very much in advance and may you always stay tuned:)
Stefan

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 7:48 am    

That one is an All-Pull. Leonard modernized the Marlen in the 80's with this Changer; eventhough he prefered the single sold finger pull-release for Tone.
But these All-pull Marlen's sound pretty dang good.
Ricky
Stefan Roller

Germany
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 8:03 am    

Ricky - thank you very much for your super fast reply. It helped a lot deciding if I should eventually bid on the Marlen or not;)
Stefan
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 9:21 am    

Great guitars. Stay in tune unbelievably well. I miss Leonard Stadler.

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 12:11 pm    

Stefan,

That steel looks to be in pretty good condition if you are thinking of buying or bidding. They have great tone and are very well built. My first steel in 1976 was a Marlen pull-release D10, and I just bought another one through the forum. Great guitars!
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Bob Moore

N. Rose, New York
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 4:06 pm     Marlen

I have a Marlen D10 year 1984 I think only numbers on it. Only problem is that they are heavy. Stay in tune well. Bob
Benton Allen

Muscle Shoals, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 5:22 pm    

Stefan,
Those old Marlens were pretty decent guitars, but this guy is WAY too proud of his. You can by a nice Sho-Bud for this kind of money. IMHO

Benton
Stefan Roller

Germany
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 12:52 am    

Thank you all for your thoughts, time and input - I appreciate that very much. Keep it coming Very Happy !
Have a nice weekend, regards - Stefan
Ned McIntosh

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 4:01 am    

I have to agree with Benton, this is somewhat over-priced for such a unit. You will get just as fine an instrument if you are patient by browsing the "For Sale: Instruments" section of the forums. There are some great deals there from some very straight up-and-down guys.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Rick Winfield

Pickin' beneath the Palmettos
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 4:13 am     Marlen

I'm with Ned.
I once had a 73 Marlen D10, pull release. Great tone and feel. Inexperience allowed me to part with it, and go in another, "modern" direction, not realizing I had it all along (TONE)
Rick
Ned McIntosh

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 4:24 pm    

Stefan,

It's been re-listed at a slightly reduced price. Item no is 350385526875.
Stefan Roller

Germany
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 9:32 am    

Hi folks, thanks again for your remarks ! Although I like this Marlen a LOT, I think it really would be better if I wait until a similar one is sold at the forum...ebay can be dangerous. I'm out of town for the next 10 days; if the seller is reducing it again in the meantime, maybe...
Best wishes to all of you - Stefan
Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 3:06 pm     geetar

Check out the BMI Bill Moore has for sale! and he might ship overseas which this guy won't. Smile