| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Universal-12 vs D-10
Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 11:42 pm    

Can anyone help me with some pros and cons of the u-12 other than tuning and weight and why you would or would not recomend one. Thank you.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 12:49 am    

Personally, I like the extended bass range of the U-12. Both of my tunes on Charles Tilly's excellent web site utilize the extra bass.
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 3:15 am    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=179549&highlight=u12++d10

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=146133&highlight=u12++d10
Sherman Willden

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 5:42 am    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27690&highlight=
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 8:38 am    

If you can see yourself driving a Corvette, you will probably like an S12U.
If your an F250 guy, an S10 or D10 might be a better fit.
Smile
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 8:51 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
Smile

Pete, what about people who drive a Prius?
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 8:54 am    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Pete Burak wrote:
Smile

Pete, what abut people who drive a Prius?

The MSA Millennium, Excell, you know, one of them new fangled S12U's. Cool

You can play the same stuff on any of 'em... so it becomes more of a mindset thing.
Again... You can play the same stuff on any of 'em.
Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 9:35 am    

Thanks guys for the feed back. With all that being said, where can I find some detailed drawings and parts lists for a u-12.
Thanks
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 9:47 am    

i would think tuning and weight would be the whole idea of a 12string.

an s10 would be like a geo.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 10:45 am    

Hey Pete, I drive a Prius (which is why I asked) and play an MSA Millennium U-12. Very Happy

BTW I have a theory that the guys who designed the Prius are all steel players who designed the car with instrument in mind. My steel fits perfectly in the storage area in the back, fully assembled, without lowering the rear seats. If I lower them, I can fit 2 fully assembled steels in there.
Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 11:40 am    

Chuck -

One more link that you might want to look at.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=181153

Richard
Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 12:56 pm    

Richard thanks for the link, it all made good sence to me. I as well have been playing for a long time 23yrs on bass. I already play a s10 pro 1 but I need to get away from the higher register sound. I play country music with the steel and want to venture in to the c6 world however,I beleive I can capture both worlds on a u-12. I don't want to buy one I want to build it atleast just the body than I may want to sent it to someone who could install all the knees pedals rods etc. Any advice on that would be helpful as well.
Thanks again. Chuck
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 2:47 pm    

Chuck Morel wrote:
...I already play a s10 pro 1...

fwiw, I had my S10 3x1 Pro-1 upgraded to a 7x5 S10U.
Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 2:58 pm    

Point well taken Pete. I beleive part of me just wants another guitar. As well the challange of building one. Thanks for pointing out a very obvious
option.LOL Chuck
Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 3:45 pm    

Interesting how no one has yet really made a pro-D10 argument here on this thread.

That F250 vs. Corvette analogy above is hilarious!

I TRULY believe that we will see a shift to more Universal type S12 steel guitars in the future. The primary reason I believe this is because new students of this instrument will likely be attracted to learning one tuning. That sounds simple huh? Only time will tell but I for one will be presenting my S12 and S10 approach. I plan on finding MANY recruits. Very Happy
Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 4:17 pm    

I'm NOT a Corvette guy (although that's a very funny analogy, Pete!), but as slightly informed beginner, I really like the SU-12 for my purposes, which are mainly oriented in jazz.

I think the Prius crowd might dig it, as well as the 'vette guys....
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 6:08 pm    

Pete Burak wrote:
Smile

That's a really funny statement, because I happen to play an S-12U and drive an 07' Corvette. I never put that analogy together, though. I get great enjoyment out of both of them and they both serve a definite purpose in my life.
BTW- I always drove a pickup, until 2007, but never owned a D-10.
Elton Smith

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 7:38 pm    

There are two great days when you have a corvett.The day you buy it and the day you get rid of it.If I ever figure out I need a 12 string I'll get one but for now 10 is plenty.Its like a 7 string guitar,I can do the same thing just have to work harder.
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 9:12 pm    

There are lots of advantages to the S12 or S14. I like 10 string necks, and an S10 will do most of what most people play. If you're playing a single neck, I can appreciate having strings that go lower than the low B (I lower the B with my C pedal to a nice low A). I guess it depends a lot on what you want to play. I play a D10 because I like having two separate necks. I know that a lot of S12 Uni players treat the E9/B6 as one big tuning, but I like splitting the two tunings over two necks. It may not be like one big tuning on one neck, but I think of my D10 as one big 20 string guitar. I like the 10 string necks, and my necks have a different tone from each other due to different pickups and the tunings. I appreciate the weight and set-up time considerations for having a single neck guitar, but playing a big D10 with the two discrete necks and tunings is pretty sweet. If you have two necks with different tunings, pickups, pedals, etc., it can feel like switching between two guitars, even though it's one 20 string guitar (or 24 string guitar if you go D12), which is something I like about playing a D10.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 8:46 am    

Pete Burak wrote:

You can play the same stuff on any of 'em... so it becomes more of a mindset thing.
Again... You can play the same stuff on any of 'em.

Franklin wrote:
...My take on the universal vs D10 threads........

I believe once anyone discovers that intervals are intervals, and the same intervals can be found within any tuning, their personal mental restrictions start to peel away. They begin to find needs for altering their pedal arrangement....They will continue to expand their pedal arrangement until they achieve their specific desires.......No matter what tuning, its a personalized instrument......I don't ever see that changing......

....Paul

Jeff Newman to the white courtesy phone, please...
Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 10:30 am    

I don't see this thread as including the S10. This to me is lively debate about D10 or S12. Personally, I put the S10 in a separate class. Likely, the upper class because they actually make the most money! Very Happy

That stated, I will stand with my position that I believe the S12 (Universal if that is what you want to call it) is growing. I recall a time many many years ago when I felt totally out of place with my S12. No longer. Seems a bit trendy to me now. Very Happy
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 10:36 am    

Zane King wrote:
I don't see this thread as including the S10. This to me is lively debate about D10 or S12. Personally, I put the S10 in a separate class. Likely, the upper class because they actually make the most money! Very Happy

That stated, I will stand with my position that I believe the S12 (Universal if that is what you want to call it) is growing. I recall a time many many years ago when I felt totally out of place with my S12. No longer. Seems a bit trendy to me now. Very Happy

In the bigger pictrue, the reason I would include S10 is because you can play an incredible amount of 6th tuning stuff on it.
One of my favorite things to do is to sit down at an S10 and rip through San Antone Rose using all "6th" positions.
And we all know... if you can play San Antone Rose on it, you can play several hundred other Western Swing tunes on it.
With that said, I now understand the OP's query is based on a desire to build his own steel.
Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 11:52 am    

Zane King -

In case you missed it, the reference which I cited in my post above contains a few "for and against" arguments.

You'll note that I was the author and my initial post will give you an excellent idea where my head was - and still is - regarding a Super Whizbang on which one might play Mary Had A Little Lamb as well as Beethoven's 5th.

Respectfully,

Richard
Adam Goodale

Pflugerville, TX
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 12:54 pm    

I'm a d-10 guy. and probably always will be. I love C6th and e9th... Plus, a D-10 just looks cool. and by the way, i drive an F-350... haha

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 1:16 pm    

Richard, based on what I know of you through the Forum here I just don't visualize you playing on the standard E9th neck. Or at least that doesn't seem to be consistent with what I've seen of your posts. As for four finger picks. You are brave one. That's something I've honestly never considered. As for the ultimate answer to your question I certainly believe that if you traded for a S12 you would be very pleased. Again, I'm just basing that on your posts. I don't know if you watched my videos but I think from the progressive Fruit Loop posts to Shadow Of Your Smile to Orange Blossom Special that I'm making a pretty good case with my 12 stringer. Tell me, is there a tune or two you'd like me to demonstrate for you? Or also some particular extended chords? Throw it out there. I'm beginning to get a lot of folks following my direction so spending time in this manner is fruitful for me.

ZK