| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help with a Oahu Round Neck
Paul Bostic

Grants Pass, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2010 9:37 am    

I just received a 1935 Oahu Round Neck. It has a 3" long separation at the upper left bout between the back and side. It looks like a little glue and some claps will be an easy fix. Can regular wood glue be used, such as Titebond, or is there a better product for the job. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Confused

Penticton, BC
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2010 3:57 pm    

Here's a link to the Stewart-MacDonald site with some basic info on glues for instruments.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Glues,_adhesives/Wood_glue.html

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 5:26 am    

Paul,

If it's a good tight fit when clamped together dry, Titebond Original will work just fine.

-Dave
Paul Bostic

Grants Pass, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 10:40 am    

Thanks guys! I checked out the Stewart - Mac Donald site and read the info there. It sure is a help to have such a wealth of information at your fingertips.

Grants Pass, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 5:59 pm    

David, I used the Titebond on the separation and it worked nicely. I took the tuners apart and cleaned them up and oiled them with some sewing machine oil. It is interesting that they just stuck a metal nut extension on to raise the strings for use as a steel. I would call that some Yankee ingenuity! After I vacuumed out the mouse nest from the body cavity and polished her up, I put some new lite steel and nickel wound strings on .010- .030. She now purrs like a kitten! What a sweet sound from such a humble instrument. Very Happy

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 6:31 pm    

I have an Oahu round neck with nut extender, too. I have it tuned in open G (DGDGBD) with a set of Phosphor Bronze 12s on it and it sounds nice. I also use a Dean Markley single-coil soundhole pickup. These are nice guitars in my opinion -- no doubt about it.