| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Solo pedal steel gig..
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 6:25 am    

...does anyone play one with or without prerecorded tracks accompaniment?
I could envision this in a dinner club for instance.
Have you ever been hired to play solo during a wedding ceremony?
I'd like to hear from you as I'm curious if these gigs exist and are viable.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 7:04 am    

Dave Easley has done these gigs, with the help of a Boss RC20XL looper. He's a forum member, and you could e-mail him if you want - he like to chat steel stuff. His level of talent is pretty much immeasurable though, I suspect he's one of the ones who's brains are just wired a little better or something.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Dave+Easley+international+steel+guitar&aq=f
Mark Dershaw

Arizona and Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 7:07 am    

Hi Jim, I don't have any answers for you, but I am sort of infatuated with playing solo gigs on steel. I haven't yet. I used to play solo (vocals, acoustic, harmonica) and it was the hardest and easiest music I've ever performed. Hardest because it's all you. Not only are you making all the noise, but you're choosing and learning all of the material. Easiest because you learn what you want and can do it in your own time, no structured, scheduled practices with the band, no conflicts of interest and no attitudes. Here is my goal; I will definately have backing tracks. I bought a looping station to create simple acoustic accompaniment. I'm not sure if I like it though.I may resort to Band in the Box. I'm working on different genres of music and will play only a few instrumentals. I know from playing solo acoustic gigs, you gotta mix it up. I think that I have a great local venue as we have numerous wineries in the area that feature live music. It may take me awhile to accomplish this, but Im a workin on it!
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 7:18 am    

Susan Alcorn plays solo all the time, but I kinda doubt she's doing many weddings or Bar Mitzvahs... Wink
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 7:37 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Susan Alcorn plays solo all the time, but I kinda doubt she's doing many weddings or Bar Mitzvahs... Wink

maybe the occasional briss?
Jim Pitman

Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 8:01 am    

Cool Mark. Good luck on your solo endevor. I'd like to hear from you how it goes over.
I can appreciate your comment on the added pressure. I did a duo with my brother for years. Occasionally I do one with my daughter too.
Read with great interest your other post on the "pedastal" - great insight.

Jim Cohen - Seems I've heard you've done a solo gig or two?

David M - I'll check out D. Easley
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 8:04 am    

Jim Pitman wrote:
Jim Cohen - Seems I've heard you've done a solo gig or two?

Nope, not I. I have been known to play an occasional a cappella piece or two, but never a whole gig. I have neither the material nor the playing style to pull that off.
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 8:47 am    

I had to play a solo gig in Spain this year back in June, I was booked to back up a Spanish singer. I arrived at the gig in good time and set up my rig.
The lady who owned the bar came over and said that the singer's father had been taken ill and the singer was at the hospital and could not make the show.
As there was quite a few people there as well as some friends who came to support me I decided to do as much of a show as I could.
I had my Tascam GT-1 with me , I had a lot of backing tracks on there some for steel tunes and a full set of my friend Pete Creswell
songs with vocals, as it happened Pete had come along to the show and I asked him if would be OK to use them and he agreed to let me.
I managed to do a 1 hour and 45 minuets show.
This was my first solo gig and I really enjoyed it.
The owner was impressed and she booked Pete and I for the next week and paid us over the asking fee.
I would say that was very enjoyable and eyeopening
venture for me. I realized that I did not need anyone else. If I put my mind to I would be able to put a very good show on.
So if any of you guys think you would like to do a solo gig give it a try you will be surprised at what
you can do...
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 9:26 am    

I did all the music for a wedding last week on dobro. Have played solo dobro and steel for weddings and funerals.

Overland Park, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 9:36 am    

This is a good question.

I played about 20 minutes at a party a few weeks ago with just my Weisenborn. I don't see where a steel would be much different than piano and piano players do it all the time.

I am sure there are gigs if a person would work up some solo material. Just play sort of rhythmically like pianist might.

Mehama, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 10:46 am    

I have been doing solo for the better part of 14 years now. I played 3 and 4 times a week for over 11 years and am now so old that I just do occasional gigs. I am doing one soon that will be mostly Hawaiian, but I normally do a lot of eveything from times past. I play an HWP Mullen 8 and 4 and I use several pedal effects, plus a Korg KR-55 Ryhthm Machine for my rhythm section. Normal pay has been $50.00 per hour. Nursing homes and Alzheimer units get it free.
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 11:19 am    

I only know one solo so it'd have to be either a short party or have a high turnover rate.

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 11:56 am    

A few years back I had a four wedding gigs in one summer as a solo steel player. I play a u12 so those low strings got a workout. It's fun, I'd like to be doing it more. The simple stuff works the best.

Mexican Hat, Utah, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 12:52 pm     Dave Musgrave

Dave Musgrave used to play a duo with a Trumpet in Flagstaff AZ back in the 60's
wow!!!
( DESERT ROSE FROM CHUCK )
LOVE IT !!!!!
NEW STEEL SEAT BY JOE
HOLDS ALL MY STUFF
Roland cube 80 xl (wow)
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 1:15 pm     Great Solo on a Sad Day

When attending Carl West's untimely funeral, J.D. Maness played a solo of Danny Boy just by himself. It was just great and very touching. We all still miss Carl West (Ponce).
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 1:20 pm    

My friend in Norway, Mr. Nils Farstad, plays solo gigs at nursing homes , convalescent homes etc. Just him and his Zum with backing tracks. He loves it, and the residents as well.
Everybody marvels at this technical marvel we call pedal steel. I am sure it is a great way to promote the steel guitar. More people should do it.
Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2010 5:57 am    

Hal Higgins played with rythim tracks, and sounds pretty doggone good too.
Tommy Shown
SMFTBL
Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 1:56 am    

I use Band in a Box when I do any solo jobs. My music is mostly dinner type music like Moonglow, Once in a While, Over the Rainbow, etc.. When I lived up north, I played at a lot of senior centers and they seemed to enjoy it. Larry
David Easley

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 6:52 am    

I remember I used to do the occasional solo gig back before I got my Boss rc 20 loop station and I always felt like it was ok, any gigs better than no gig, but after I got the loop station I really looked forward to solo gigs. It's ten times easier with the looper.

I've never done a solo gig with backing tracks but I'm sure it wouldn't be as much fun as the loop. Somebody might come up and say, "Hey, buddy, you got Freebird on that Karaoke machine?" When you use the loop station everything is live on-stage, just some things get repeated so that you can do other things on top of them.

Dave E.
Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 4:22 pm    

I play lots and lots of solo six string gigs, and have every intention of doing so on the steel, soon. I find that playing solo (no backing tracks) makes me a much better player - the same should be true for steel, in my opinion.
Jim Pitman

Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 6:30 am    

Thanks everyone. That's inspirational.

Jim P.
Barry Hyman

upstate New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 4:43 pm    

I have done several solo pedal ateel gigs, with no singing, no effects, no looper, and no backing tracks. Just pedal steel. (I have been doing all-instrumental solo gigs with 6-string for decades, so the idea and the repertoire are not new to me.) And I'm a relatively slow and simplistic psg player. But if the notes are in tune and the tone is good, and there is a clear melody superimposed on the chord changes, people seem to like it. I got paid well and got asked to come back... It's appropriate for some weddings, and for coffeehouses and art openings and other exotic gigs. I did an outdoor one on the 4th of July for a big crowd that was waiting for the fireworks, and people seemed to love it. (I think most everybody likes the tone of pedal steel, even if they don't know what it is or don't generally like instrumentals.)

I like playing what is perceived as background music sometimes. But I wouldn't want to try it in a rowdy bar where people want to dance!!!
I give music lessons on several different instruments in Cambridge, NY (between Bennington, VT and Albany, NY). But my true love is pedal steel. I've been obsessed with steel since 1972; don't know anything I'd rather talk about... www.barryhyman.com