| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gorilla Snot
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 4:03 pm    

Have you ever tried this stuff to keep your finger picks on. Johnny Bondz down in Florida turned me on to it about 4 years ago. It's an adhesive based substance like tree-sap designed for drummer's to hold their drumsticks with. Just rub a little on your fingers and you NO LONGER have to squeeze down your picks where it cuts off your circulation. If you can get past the smell, it's great! I highly recommend it.

Nick

Last edited by Nick Reed on 12 Aug 2010 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chuck Hall

Warner Robins, Ga, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 5:40 pm    

I have used it for years for holding a flat pick to play my regular guitar. You don't drop as many when you use green gorilla snot. lol Very Happy
Bob Hickish

Port Ludlow, Washington, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 5:57 pm    

“green gorilla snot” ? sounds disgusting Laughing

I have used fir pitch mixed with some denatured alcohol -- no foul oder and works grate , you can have your picks fit very loose and they will not come off

edit cuss I caint speel

Last edited by Bob Hickish on 12 Aug 2010 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 6:00 pm    

Just wet your fingers then put your picks on, they won't come off.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 6:33 pm    

Used it since the early 90's. You need to be careful with it though. A little goes a long way. If you get it on your fingers or picks where you don't want it, it's hard to get off.

When I moved to my present home, I found I have several lifetime's supply built in the pines in my yard. It's a little thinner maybe than the GS, but just as sticky or more so. Harvest a little bit in a pill bottle or something you can close up with a lid. Works just great.
Elton Smith

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 7:46 pm    

Yep, sure have on my flat picks.But what I was taught was to work on those picks till they fit just right.I have a pair of mini pliers I work on them with.It may take a week to get um just right,but they got to be comfortable to stay on your fingers for hours at a time.Nothing pisses me off more than someone to mash my picks togather.(they do it when your not there)
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 9:55 pm    

What Andy said. No need for snot when you already have saliva. Now, pass me my sandwich.
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 3:31 am    

Dale Hansen sells a product (his own concoction) that works as well as "Gorilla Snot" without the mess and odor.
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 5:02 am    

I've used Gorilla Snot for years. It's great in that it keeps my picks snug on the fingers. No slippage. The smell? Awww, although not a fine smell it's more of a shrug of the shoulders.
Doug Rolfe

Indianapolis, IN
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 5:07 am    

I will have picks at the GSGA table in St. Louis that solves the problem without needing to put anything on your fingers except the picks.
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 5:14 am     Pick Glue...

Call mine Pick Glue... I had an old block of the cheapest fiddle rosin made. Crushed some up and devolved it in a little alcohol. Put it in one of those little eye drop bottles(easy to shake up and apply). Been carrying the same bottle for 3 years. One drop on the inside of each finger pick and your thumb pick. Let it dry a little, you'll have to peal them picks off of your fingers after the first set, just to go to the restroom. Caution, don't get it anywhere you don't want it and don't shake hands with someone you don't like. And especially, don't get it on your bar or strings. I've used GS, and expect this stuff is at least 100 times better JMO. I've let the rhythm guitar player try it, that only has a thumb on his picking hand, same results, had to peal it off. The look on his face was priceless. No magic formula, some of this, some of that, it works.
Chuck Hall

Warner Robins, Ga, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 6:38 am    

Pine pitch works just as well but I have trouble getting the tree in my gig bag. Cool Laughing

So now I just use a thumb pick.
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 7:15 am    

Snot? Saliva? I'll never shake another steel players hands again.

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 9:17 am     Gorilla Not

The subject of slipping picks comes up a lot & you can be sure I've tried every method known to man! The best & ONLY solution That I use is so simple, buy a tin of fiddle rosin, [at any music store $5.oo] I cut a small chunk off & keep it in my pick bag, I scrape a little on the inside of my finger picks, & I'm good for the whole night, None of the so-called remedies, like fingers in your mouth, tape wrapped inside picks & several ideas never worked for me, & now the Good Part,Sorry Nick, but the Gorilla Snot was like putting vaseline on my picks! Just try the Rosin thing! It's the only thing for me!& $5.00 will cover you for at least 10 yrs! au
Doug Rolfe

Indianapolis, IN
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2010 11:01 am    

As I mentioned in an earlier post, some of you are already using our picks which work very well and you do not need to put anything on your fingers. We coat the part that wraps around your finger. It serves two purposes. First it keeps the pick on and secondly you do not nee to squeeze the pick around your finger too tight and cause discomfort. They are $3.00 each and we have both Nationals and Dunlops. I'm still using the first pair I ever did and it has been several years since we started coating the picks. They are comfortable and work extremely well. Stop by our table in St. Louis and try a pair.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2010 10:53 pm    

TK

Last edited by Charles Davidson on 17 Aug 2010 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael Brewer

Carrollton, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 5:21 am     Gs

GS is OK but, I have found that liquid solder flux (I get mine at Sears) works better. Put a tiny drop on the end of each finger, give it a few seconds and when it feels sticky put on your picks. They won't come off until you pull them off.
Doug Rolfe

Indianapolis, IN
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 5:56 am    

Instead of spraying plastic dip, we actually double dip the pick in liquid plastic. It is time consuming, but does a great job. Since they are only $3.00 each, it is an easy and trouble free way to keep your picks on. You do not need to put anything on your fingers. They definitely stay on. come by our table at St. Louis and try them.
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 1:11 pm    

Gorilla Snot?

Yes, it's a lot more user-friendly than Crazy Glue.
Andy Hinton

Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 4:01 pm     slipping fingerpicks

It seems my dipping process & Doug Rolfe's is very similar. And according to the thousand pickers all over the world that I've shipped to, it works. Mine only costs $8.00 per pair shipped anywhere in the world. My add has had 24,500 hits & not a single neg. response yet. Leaves no residue to clean off. Can't make St. Louis this year, but I'm close as the computer or the mailbox. To each his own tho. Smile Smile Happy pickin'! Andy Hinton
Jack Ritter

Enid, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 4:40 pm    

I have used a can of spray xtra hold hair spray for years. Just shake it up well and lightly shoot the ends of your picking fingers from the knuckle down, let flash off til nearly dry, and then shove your picks on how you like them and you are ready to play. Works great for me. Jack

Hendersonville,Tennessee, (USA)
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 7:12 pm    

David Nugent wrote:
Dale Hansen sells a product (his own concoction) that works as well as "Gorilla Snot" without the mess and odor.

Thanks David. The powder you refer to does help in a lot of situations, especially with keeping your bar hand dry in high humidity. I've got another (not very)'secret weapon' that you can find at "Hobby Lobby".

When all else fails...I run my fingers over this stuff.

It only costs about two bucks. No odor, and,..it won't gum up your picks, or ruin your strings.

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2010 2:39 pm    

Pardon me for asking a dumb question, but you guys have me in the dark. Is "Gorilla Snot" a brand name for an adhesive or are we talking about the generic substance?
If it is a product you can buy, where can i get it?

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2010 6:31 am    

Morgan Scoggins wrote:
Pardon me for asking a dumb question, but you guys have me in the dark. Is "Gorilla Snot" a brand name for an adhesive or are we talking about the generic substance?
If it is a product you can buy, where can i get it?

At: dianfossey/gorillasinthemist.com Laughing
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2010 7:21 am    

Gorilla Snot is the brand name. It is a resin product. Google the words and you'll get a bunch of hits from all the online musician's supply houses. Your local music store may have it too, if you have one.