| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender '59 Bassman Reissue question
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 2:36 pm    

I have a Fender '59 Bassman reissue, and it bears a striking resemblence to Ken Fox' custom vintage amps, except the '59 RI has four ten inch Jensens, instead of two. It sounds awesome with lap steel (Pettingill w/Wallace Tru Tone) and my old Gibson ES-175. However, I can't seem to dial in a pleasing tone with my Williams SD-10 or my Carter D-10. The pedal steels sound thin and tinny compared to my other guitars, or to either steel with my NV112. Any thoughts on settings, etc? My Williams has a Lawrence xlr-16, my Carter has George L's E-66 and a 10-1. Thanks.

Redmond, Washington USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 3:18 pm    

My understanding is that the 59 Reissue has four speakers, as does my Ken Fox 5D6B.

Were you using the same volume pedal with the lap steel as with the pedal steel?
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2010 3:55 pm    

There's an idea. I've been going straight to the amp with my lap steel and through a goodrich L120 with the psg. I'll try the lap with the volume pedal, maybe that'll help narrow it down. Thanks Lynn. I guess I didn't realize Ken's amps both 2 & 4 speaker options, you're correct...the '59 reissues have four speakers.

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2010 4:16 am    

I have a 59' RI and have used both my Willy's thru it. My D10 has 10-1's on both necks and my S10 has a True Tone. I use a Telonics VP and DD2. I have no problem getting a good tone out of either one. The thin sound may be your pick up.

Geo
Steve Pipkin

Cleveland, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2010 6:54 pm    

Hey, Rick. I'm not one to ususally post, but I used a '59 Reissue this past weekend for the first time and thought I might chime in. It happens that I also play a Williams. I have the original Williams single-coils.

First, I have to report that it was a great success. Not only did my band members all comment on the great tone, the club owner made a point to tell us as we were loading up that we were the best sounding band he's ever had. BTW, this was our 7th time to play at his place.

So, even before I saw your post, I had tried to describe to my wife the difference in the tone, and the blend. I, too, used the words "thinner", yet I also described it as balanced. I told her that we (steel players) have gotten used to the mid-range hump in our Peavey's and solid state steel amps. That's the only way I can explain how my guitars (Tele/Strat) sound similar, if not even better, with the '59 but the steel is noticably different. What if we have just gotten used to that SS tone, but it is not a true, clean, natural sound?

Now, without being too long-winded, let me say I like the SS amp tone and it can be very rich and fat, especially when playing alone. But, I have to add that we all truly enjoyed the more "vintage", clear mix with the Bassman. And just maybe that's the catch; Alone/solo, the fatter tone fills the voids, but with the band, we mix better with the Tube amp.

I used the Normal Channel with the Treble and Bass at around 9-10,the Mids around 4-6 and the Presence at 4 or less.

Anyway, this is probably way more than you want to hear from me, but I thought it was pretty cool this came up just as I tried the old '59 and had a blast doing it.

Good Luck, and Crank it Up.

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2010 7:39 pm    

Thanks Steve your explanation makes perfect sense. Since I started this post, I've tweaked the knobs a bit, and I think I've got it dialed in a little better. Maybe I'm just getting used to the difference. I added a little reverb and just a touch of overdrive with my Zendrive, it sounds pretty good. Thank you all for your input!

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2010 5:23 am    

The amp we have produced has a totally different schematic, ala a 5D6 amp but also has dual triode inputs (each #1 input feed two halves of a 12AY7, each #2 input feeds only 1/2 of a 12AY7, as the original 5D6 did). Also a dual rectifier, different tone stack and 30 watts output.

The only similarity to a 1959 is the speakers! This amp is a cleaner sounding amp and much harder to break up as compared to a 45 watt 1959 amp.
Steve Pipkin

Cleveland, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2010 2:34 pm    

Hey, Ken. I got to hear your 1-12 amp at Dallas. That is an amazing piece of work you have there. I expect the 4-10 is just as awesome. I know with your special attention to taylor them towards the steel guitar, you likley have the best steel amps ever made.

Although I've only been playing steel for a couple years, I always felt like I was settling for an amp and not really hearing what the guitar can do. This past weekend was proof to me that if my bandmates, who are not very experienced, could hear the difference and the club owner who has never made a comment like that before could tell something was different, then I must be on to something.

One day soon, I'll be putting my name on the list for one of your master-built amps. This steel guitar stuff is just so cool. I haven't had this much fun playing in years.

Thanks.

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2010 2:38 am    

I use my Fox 4-10 amp for steel and tele.
It is fantastic.
Steve Pipkin

Cleveland, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 4:20 am    

Holy Smokes, Ken! That's got to sound like a million bucks. Solid Country Gold!

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2010 5:37 am    

The Bassman is an extremely touch sensitive amplifier, when adjusting your settings do so ever so slightly and one knob at a time as each knob tweak will effect the others in the chain.
Benjamin Wolfram

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 3:21 am    

I got really interested as soon as you mentioned '59 Bassman...I haven't seen a lot of reference to tube amps around steel guitar land and being a devoted six string guitarist getting into steel I have played nothing but tube amps for years and can't really see myself going and getting a SS...one of my amps is a '59 410 Bassman clone made by a local guy here in Australia with his company Achillies Amplification and his amps (and speaker boxes which I have a couple of also) have tone and craftsmanship second to none. I haven't had a lot of use for the Bassman yet but I am loving it for playing with steel and I'm thinking it might become my "steel amp", and it sounds as though a few of you might already have tried that idea with good results which is great Very Happy

Good tube amps are lovely things, can't imagine ever playing a guitar (steel or normal) through anything else!
Steve Pipkin

Cleveland, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2010 5:38 am    

Howdy, Benjamin. Like you, I've spent most of my life on the 6 string, and love my tube amps. When I started on steel last year, I tried playing through a couple of tube amps, but as Robert mentioned, some are more sensitive than others. That is, of course, one of the things we love about tube amps for guitar. So, I got a NV400, and it does fine, but I just can't really dial in what I want. So, with all the praise for the NV112, I got one of those, and same story. Both amps are fine and I could play them from now on and it would be OK.

However, with the '59 RI, I like the sound better, and the band likes the sound better. The last two gigs, I plugged the steel into the Normal channel, and my Tele into the Bright channel, it has been better for both instruments. At least for me, this has been a great solution, and a whole lot of fun. I can imagine, that should I do a "solo" performance with backing tracks, I would likely use one of the SS amps for a fatter sound. But, with the band, I am going to keep it this way. I am sure your custom amp sounds just as great, or even better. But would expect it may be a bit more sensitive than the stock RI and could want to break up a little faster, or maybe not. Play with it and find the sweet spots.

Anyway, there are a lot of pickers who still love the tubes for steel. I think a lot of us struggle with the weight issue. I know I do. But at least for now, the '59 is managable. I may change my mind on that in a year or two and weight may trump tone. Hence, Ken Fox's objectives with his killer amps. Best of both worlds.

Have fun! And Crank it up!