| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Glass Tone bars and slides! Videos Available! Updated 6/11
Nicholai Steindler

New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2010 11:40 pm    

Stock available now is very similar to the photo below, especially the one to the left. All bottoms are slightly concave or dimpled unless you want to specify. I can do flat, or twister too. All lengths and sizes available.

The perfectly clear optics make anything below the bar quite interesting! $30 plus shipping. Price is now lowered slightly due to available raw stock.

The last time Pyrex glass slides were offered for sale they were marketed by Tom Bradshaw and made by Dunlop. They were on the market to at least 1980 or 1981.

I'm happy to bring these back to you guys, it is nice to offer something different then what is out there now. My new line of bars are made to exacting standards. All play surfaces are guaranteed to be ABSOLUTELY perfectly straight (unless specified). Furthermore, Pyrex is superior in strength and durability to all other glass, it is very scratch resistant, your strings won't touch it (someone smart out there is going to think tempered is stronger, but tempered shatters, is less scratch resistant and is unrepairable). My bars are also annealed properly, insuring a glass without strain in it that you will not find on cheap slides, this increases durability and possibly resonance.

I currently am offering all normal bar sizes in clear Pyrex!

My one-inch by 3.5 inch bars weigh around 105g, my 15/16 7/8 x 3.5 weigh around 90g, and the 1 inch by 3.5 jumbo bars are around 120g. Not very much of a difference. 1 ounce between large and small. Can't figure it out pick a medium! I can make all lengths, just ask for what you want.

Also, new is a slightly larger than 1 inch bar (1.14 inches approx) that adds a little bit of weight, while remaining very comfortable to play and keeping an excellent balance in the hands. I really like my new jumbo bars. I have arthritis, not a problem for me to play at all.

I should have a lead glass and soda lime glass and stevens and shubb style hopefully within the year. I've switched to a more expensive, better quality glass made by Corning for genuine Pyrex in clear.

Satisfaction guaranteed. Lifetime guarantee (except against dropping it and breaking or chipping it, but Pyrex is much stronger then pretty much any glass anyways... but I will make every effort to repair it if I can if you pay shipping. Can you beat this deal? Pretty much the only thing I can't repair is splitting it in half).

If unhappy with the bar, just e-mail me why you didn't like it and send it back, no problem. If you think about it, you can basically try my bar for a deposit!

I accept Paypal and money orders and I am open to trades. All prices do not include shipping.

Feel free to ask about custom work!

Who am I and why am I making guitar slides? My website can be seen at www.joshuasteindler.com where you can get more of a bio and a good view of my various work (please excuse the strange fonts today, not sure whats going on with that!). I've been playing instruments since the age of 4, and I've been an artist working with hot glass for the last fifteen years. I'm used to working on more complicated glass objects, but recently I've been enjoying slide guitar so much I've branched out into expanding the current line of slides available to us.

Last edited by Nicholai Steindler on 1 Jun 2011 7:56 am; edited 33 times in total
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2010 6:58 am     shipping questions for Blue Cobalt flat back end bar

Nicholai, what's shipping come to for zip code 58027 North Dakota? If it's not too high, I' will buy the $30 Cobalt blue Pyrex, 1 inch. 3 3/16 inches long. 78 grams (2.8 ounces), flat back end. Bullet tip.
Thanks, steve t
Nicholai Steindler

New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 2:42 am    

Thanks everyone. People who emailed me I'll return mails later today. Shipping is usually no more then $3.00 anywhere.

Last edited by Nicholai Steindler on 12 Apr 2010 8:29 am; edited 3 times in total
Nicholai Steindler

New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2010 8:26 pm    

Finally finished all my orders. Details in first post. I moved the sold bars to below me for archive purposes.

Last edited by Nicholai Steindler on 30 Jul 2010 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nicholai Steindler

New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2010 8:50 pm    

Someone was nice enough to email me adverts from Tom Bradshaw's "Steel Guitarist" magazine, possibly issue number 5.

Nicholai Steindler

New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2010 1:28 pm    

offer filled for now. Sorry! Mr. Green

Last edited by Nicholai Steindler on 27 Jul 2010 11:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2010 6:25 am    

Nicholai, I just got back to the USA and am trying the two bars I bought from you. They really are lighweight & easy to maneuver and sound good to me. Best of luck on the sales Thanks, stevet
Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2010 1:05 am    

Nicholai Steindler wrote:
Free bar of your choice to a competent player who is willing to video themselves playing with one of my bars!

I'll do it, if you're still making that offer.

New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2010 10:48 pm    

I'm sorry I took so long to get back, I didn't notice this post. I think I have somebody testing the bars, if they don't like them, or something goes wrong, or if I need another one made, I will look you up. Thank you very much.
Nicholai Steindler

New York, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2010 11:03 pm    

Bump! I have six bars available sitting here for a change. First time since April I have extras. Pretty much full range of sizes. Nice to have some time to make these again. $35 take your pick.

I am also proud to introduce a new jumbo size. I spent all night playing with one, I'm really happy with these. Just slightly larger than one inch, but the added mass makes a pleasant difference. I wouldn't say one is better than the other unless you don't like the tone down low, then you need more weight (no one has complained yet). It's just a different bar. I've also been experimenting with tapering the last back bit a tiny amount to add some resonance to the bass strings. I like it. You can barely tell by looking at it that it's tapered in the back, but it definitely adds a little bit of weight. I use a seriously large gauge low string too on the one that I tested with(.60+?). The sweet spot on a 3 1/2 inch one is easily the whole of a six string in my opinion.

I have had zero complaints as to playability so far, in fact people like it unless they are lying to me! I find the bars to be very fast, and the tone to be quite sweet, it seems a little crisper and more focused than metal, though if somebody else wants to chime in and describe it, feel free. You get less of a buzz on the strings too.

However if you don't like it, ship it back for an exchange or refund.
Matt Berg

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2010 12:34 pm    

Nicholai,

Do you have just clear glass in stock, or have you got any colored patterned bars?
Nicholai Steindler

New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2010 4:02 pm    

Hi, I'm sorry, I am not offering any colored bars right now. Unfortunately the time, effort and cost would take the price point above what the average person is willing to pay, this is due solely to the nature of Pyrex, it is much stiffer than normal glass, and the colors are even worse, especially when you combine them together. It's completely doable, but it's not economical. I wasn't happy sacrificing quality for cost or looks. I can offer a higher quality bar reliably and at a fraction of the price in clear. Hopefully in the future I will be able to offer some different glasses with color at a decent price point.

I haven't posted pictures of the new ones yet because my camera is in being repaired. I didn't want to post a cell phone picture! Should be back next week.
Nicholai Steindler

New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2010 9:22 pm    

Temporarily sold out of 1 inch diameter bars! Should have more by next week. Thanks for the business everyone.

I want to clarify why there are no more cobalt/colored bars at the moment. I'm getting lots of inquiries. The colored pyrex I can get right now comes with flaws in it from the factory, there are bubbles, ripples in it, spots that move differently from other spots when molten, etc. They have only been making it for 20 years and the people doing it are not the same caliber as Corning who makes my clear. It drives my prices through the roof to deal with it. The bars that are made out of clear are better in every aspect. It's a higher-quality optical glass. I will try to come up with a way to satisfy my concern for quality and your guys wants as soon as possible.

I also should mention this is original borosilicate pyrex, not the new controversial tempered soda lime stuff they sell as bake ware these days, this is the stuff they make telescope mirrors out of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borosilicate_glass
Nicholai Steindler

New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2010 2:59 pm    

1 inch bars back in stock.
Nicholai Steindler

New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2011 7:52 am    

These are available again in all sizes. thanks to a certain forumite I have a video of these wonderful bars being played, unfortunately I can only email it, he asked me not to post it publicly, but emailing is ok.

I've also improved the quality of the bars slightly. Not that anyone has taken me up on my return policy yet. Two "respected" players have fully endorsed my bars as being wonderful for their purposes. Please take me up on the offer of emailing you videos of the bars in action!!! I suspect you will be surprised! Also the videos feature a few nice pre war ricks.....

thanks!

Last edited by Nicholai Steindler on 1 Jun 2011 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Nicholai Steindler

New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2011 9:21 am    

an email I received regarding pyrex bars in general and my bars;
Quote:

The primary advantage in a Pyrex bar is the weight, and, to a lesser degree, the tone. It's not as heavy as a metal bar, and is therefore easier to manipulate/move. The tone is slightly softer and less pronounced that with metal as well, which is very pleasing to my ear (and others, too!). The tip and flat of the bar are both used for, respectively, accurate single notes and smooth multiple simultaneous notes. Most bars (whatever the material) do eventually end up with dings, scratches and wear, no matter what the material.

Thanks, Josh, I'm still enjoying the one I have. I've shown it to every lap/pedal steel player that I've met and without exception they've all been mightily impressed. FWIW, I also showed it to a friend of mine who machines quite a bit of guitar-related metal parts (and is one of the finest luthiers in the world, really), and he stopped what he was doing to take a closer look, very impressed by your work, was really quite interested in how you made it. High praise, indeed.

Best wishes to you,
Dale Boutilier

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2011 6:41 am     Dunlop #920

sent an email and no response, I am interested in one the size of the dunlop #920 bar. Do you have one??
Nicholai Steindler

New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2011 6:56 am    

Hmmm. I got your email late last night, did you send it earlier? I am out of town for the day. When I get home I can address your questions about the Dunlop bar, I don't own one of those, need to do research. I can make one equal to that dimensions though I prefer 3 1/2 inch bar personally. Talk to you soon Josh
Nicholai Steindler

New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2011 7:40 am    

Another positive review.... Mr. Green

Quote:
Got the bars today, and had a chance to try one out on my 7 string Bakelite steel. Awesome, I am totally happy. It's nice and big, much lighter than a brass bar and way easy to maneuver. And it still provides nice sustain. Another guy I work with loved it too after trying out for a while.

Thanks, nice work.