| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why did Fender make the FS-52?
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2010 9:59 am    

Fender has been around over 50 years with a good track record. Although I never played one, from what I've read here it got low marks. Why would they produce a low quality instrument? Surely they aware of all the master players out there. Why not get some input from these players? I see these all the time on Ebay. Sellers are lucky they get a bid.

Ron
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2010 12:43 pm    

I wish I knew the answer to that. I know that we had a representative of Fender present on the forum and asking questions prior to the introduction of the FS-52. All they needed was feedback from this forum to see what they could have done.

If Fender had chosen to reissue the Champ lap steel models rather than "improve" on the original Princeton/Deluxe design, they would have had a much better product (in my opinion).

The biggest problems I've had with the FS-52 are the pickup and the mirrored fretboard. The pickup can be corrected with an after market upgrade, but the mirrored fretboard is a much bigger problem. Basically as you play, you see where you are with the painted fret, but the reflection off the fretboard also shows you where you AREN'T. This makes it harder to play properly. I can imagine how it would be on stage with lights coming from various directions.

On the other hand, they come with a very nice case.

Here are some previous discussions (including some from the now closed No Peddlers section):
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=110690
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/007328.html
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/007812.html
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/008825.html
Eric Stumpf

Newbury, NH 03255
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2010 2:59 am    

Don't kid yourself; Fender makes lots of low-quality stuff these days and I've owned most of it at various times.
G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2010 4:51 am    

True, Fender has become a leader in low quality "crap." Their R & D dept. seems to be on the cutting edge of who can make the cheapest guitar in some 3rd world cesspool with 20 cent an hour labor. Sad what has happened to a once great US company.
The FS 52 is fairly unremarkable. Like Brad said the fretboard and pup are the major downfalls. I tried one and found that the Rondo SX has more going for it. It too, has a nice case. Very Happy at half the cost of the Fender.
J. Wilson

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2010 9:37 am    

What p*sses me off is that there are clowns on ebay trying to sell these things for escalated prices. I hope prospective buyers are doing their homework and coming to the inevitable conclusion that these things are not 'worth' more than $250 USD.
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2010 10:27 am    

Peavey smoked them on the lap steel front with the Powerslide, and it retails at $200. The Fender just sucks, plain and simple; I'd rather play one of the $79 Artisans.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2010 10:55 am    

A lot of great old manufacturers are now outsourcing production and selling Cheaper guitars. Even MARTIN now offers a $600 acoustic guitar, made in Mexico, not in Nazareth, PA. I never thought I'd see the Martin logo on a "made in Mexico" guitar. It's all about market share. The companies are looking for a share of the Huge low to mid level guitar market. Fender and Martin want a piece of that. I can't say that I blame them, but it's sad to see a great, historical company selling a low quality product.

As far as the FS-52, yes, it's a piece of junk. The suits at Fender today have No interest in recreating or improving on the original lap steels. The market for lap steels is very small, and they're not going to waste time and money (in their opinion) building a high quality steel guitar. They would rather sell thousands of Asian made Squiers to beginners for $300, and Mexican Tele/Strats for about $600. That's their current business model. It has nothing to do quality, and everything to do with profits. Thankfully there are some small manufacturers today making excellent quality lap steels.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2010 11:55 am    

I think they got it wrong, but they could pretty easily make some changes even to the existing product and make it quite usable. Unfortunately it's been discontinued. I would think it would be unlikely that Fender would try again given the negative reception they've received so far.

Gibson? Your turn...
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2010 12:19 pm    

The easy answer to the question, "why did Fender make the FS52" is trying to cash in on the steel guitar market. Fender is very quick to cash in on anything these days, they have lost a lot of respect that they could have had in the market by trying to profiteer on the level they have. Economy goes south and players can't afford much? RAISE PRICES. A 15k SRV reissue... laughable. And not a particularly good guitar. It seems that when they make a decent product these days it is in spite of their best efforts to **** it up.
Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2010 1:49 pm    

Ummm, a big part of this is simply that 'we' (most of the present company excepted) currently don't want to spend much on guitars. Fender is a company that has to make a profit and they have a lot of people to pay every week (ie cash flow), and there isn't much of a market for lap steels. There are tons of nice vintage instruments out there. Tons of nice custom stuff ( Mr. Green ) and some decent cheapos. Why should they care about the very little amounts of money they will make competing with Peavey and Artisan when they can sell all the profitable guitars they can make?

BTW, where are the Peavey and Artisans made?
G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2010 1:53 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
A lot of great old manufacturers are now outsourcing production and selling Cheaper guitars. Even MARTIN now offers a $600 acoustic guitar, made in Mexico, not in Nazareth, PA. I never thought I'd see the Martin logo on a "made in Mexico" guitar.

Add Taylor to that list. They have a line that is "Made in Mexico" too.
Sad that companies feel they have to enter every level of the market. Especially when it lowers the quality and respect that lines like Fender, Martin, Guild, (now owned by Fender I believe) and Gretsch once enjoyed.
If you want a good playing Telecaster these days call Warmouth and get a body and neck.... then get some parts and a decent set of pups. It will blow the doors off of anything I have seen Fender put out in decades.
Mitch Druckman

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2010 6:04 pm    

The Fender Custom Shop is where the great Fender guitars are being made. They're still designed and built in the USA.

I'm surprised they haven't made a custom shop Stringmaster.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2010 6:48 pm    

Yes, the Fender Custom Shop is making great guitars, quality materials: prices are $3000 to $4000 and up.

Quote:
BTW, where are the Peavey and Artisans made?

Both made in China, according to forums and blogs I've read. The majority of instruments sold in the USA today are made outside of the USA. Same thing with clothing, electronics, tools, etc... kinda sad, eh? Confused
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2010 6:57 pm    

Well, the sad reality is that we created this mess ourselves. But disregarding the political issue, there are some really decent instruments being made overseas and I can't afford anything like what US made instruments cost these days; I'd have to give up playing. 2k for a steel? Not in this lifetime. I choked when I saw what the MSA lap guitars were selling for. Some of us have the dough, I sure don't.
That being said, the FS-52 is more expensive and FAR less attractive than a lot of other lap steels that don't have nearly the market access that Fender has. They need to revisit their strategy.
Jamie O'Connell

Medford, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2010 11:16 pm    

The sad thing about the custom shop is that they say it takes us $3000 to make a guitar that sold for $152 in 1958. It breaks my heart.

Having said that, I bought one of the FS52's a little cheaper on eBay and was totally dissapointed with the quality. Recently though, I bought a 1948 Princeton. I couldn't believe how close the detailing was to the modern one, EXCEPT for the electronics! The Princeton has a strings through pickup, with magnets on the each side of the cover, and it sounds fantastic. Amazing design! If they're selling this new one at USA made prices ($450), but it's actually Chinese crap with microscopic sized screws and hardware, why did they also skimp on the electronics so badly? It's like they wanted it to fail. Sad, really.

--Jamie
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2010 5:43 am    

In the "For What It's Worth" department, I tried out a Made In Mexico Martin recently and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and tone. The action was perfect, as was the intonation. It had your typical big Martin tone.
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2010 5:51 am    

I am not one of the naysayers concerning Mexico or other countries making instruments for these guys, some of the foreign made instruments are pretty good; The Peavey Powerslide is, in my opinion, revolutionary. And made in China! I don't have a problem with Martin makng guitars for a lower cost point overseas, the folks that only want US made instruments will still be able to fork over the $$ and the rest of us have a shot at a guitar with their design at a price that won't break us. I just don't get why Fender would farm out a guitar that is so BAD.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2010 6:54 am    

Politics aside, the new guitars being made in Indonesia, China, Vietnam, etc. are for the most part extremely good instruments, even compared with some of the Harmony/Valco/Kay instruments that were made in Chicago. Remember when "Made in Japan" meant cheap, flimsy and hard to tune?

Major instrument manufacturers have invested in computerized equipment that results in a higher quality, more standardized product. A student starting out now can purchase a decent beginner's instrument that will sound good, play well, and last them a while.

The Fender FS-52 under discussion here was a poor design, regardless of where it was made. Making it in Corona instead of China would not have mattered. Even so, it's a lot better than the 1960s Harmony lap steel I used to own.
Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2010 8:51 am    

It really is a shame that Fender missed the boat with the FS-52. It had the potential to be a winner at a good price point.

There are some good instruments being made offshore these days. Most every manufacturer has an import model now. I think some have made the mistake of lumping them under their primary brand which I think can have the potential of watering down the main brand.

I've looked into having one of my designs done overseas and there are a great many factorys more than willing to deliver, even in small quantities. At this point in time I've decided against it, but may revisit it down the road. If I do they will have some other branding, my name is reserved for best.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2010 9:55 am    

To answer the original question, Fender made the FS-52 because they determined there was a market for a Fender lap steel and thought they could make some money selling such a guitar. Whether or not that market was served by their product could be debated for days.

It would be interesting to see if the people in charge of the FS-52 project considered it to be successful or not. There certainly are a lot of these lap steels out there.
Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2010 11:53 am    

The sad thing about the custom shop is that they say it takes us $3000 to make a guitar that sold for $152 in 1958. It breaks my heart.

$152 in 1958 is about $1,200 today, and you don't have to spend anywhere near that to get a pretty damn nice Strat today.
Also keep in mind the $152 was for a guitar off the line, not a custom.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2010 8:41 pm    

Quote:
$152 in 1958 is about $1,200 today, and you don't have to spend anywhere near that to get a pretty damn nice Strat today.

A USA Strat costs between $800 and $1400 today, depending on the finish, the pickups, etc. They average around $1000.

A Mexican made Strat is about $550. Slightly different hardware, different pickups, different finish. The average buyer doesn't know or care about the differences... he just wants a good price. That's why Fender dealers today stock (and sell) way more Mexican made Strats/Teles, than USA ones. And then there's the Fender Squier Strat, entry level imports with the Fender logo that sell for between $200 and about $350.